The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 261
    joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crusoe
    Mance Lipscomb, the first Bluesman I ever heard. Since then I'm hooked...
    Through Jazz,Gypsy Jazz,Swing,Country,Bluegrass, you name it...I never escaped the Blues and it's good
    that way.

This belongs on the 'jazzin' up old blues' thread, but here too. Never did know who did the original (the Evans LP notes say it's 'traditional'). Thanks for posting this...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

"You've been meetin' your man babe, down at the local laundromat..."
    What a great song. Thanks for posting Albert King, Gitfiddler

User Info Menu

Last edited by Nick71; 03-06-2020 at 01:44 PM.

User Info Menu

R.L.'s got it goin' on!

User Info Menu

be remiss not to mention the great early bluesman-blind lemon jefferson-...one of the earliest and most popular recorded bluesmen of his time..and huge influence...especially the texans...lightnin hopkins was all about jefferson...johnny winter too

horrifying to think, a blind man, he died frozen & alone on the streets of chicago

easy rider blues

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    be remiss not to mention the great early bluesman-blind lemon jefferson-...one of the earliest and most popular recorded bluesmen of his time..and huge influence...especially the texans...lightnin hopkins was all about jefferson...johnny winter too

horrifying to think, a blind man, he died frozen & alone on the streets of chicago

cheers
    Yes, very sad. Blind Willie McTell was last seen on a parking lot playing for dimes,
    then disappeared. Tampa Red ended in a kind of asylum. He couldn't remember anything anymore
    in the end etc. etc....cruel.
    But...we are still talking about Blind Lemon. We are still enjoying his great music. In a way he'll never die.
    Here's another gem :

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crusoe
    Here's another gem :

have had that cd ^ for decades...a great compilation...georgia string bands (1928-1930)... a great listen

cheers

User Info Menu

Little Charlie (Baty) died the other day.
    Here's a set with him & the Nightcats from back in the VHS days.
    Charlie could play and the band cooked.
    RIP, Charlie. (There's an RIP thread in the Players section. I'll post this vid there too. Good stuff.)

User Info Menu

Seems, they all leaving us...ok ok, not all.
    A few are still here:

Thanks for posting, Mark.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Tab Benoit, a Tele man from Lousiana. Used to see him at the old Rock'n'Bowl in NOLA. Good times.
    How did I miss this thread?!?!?!? GGGAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

OK, so... I love Tab. I think he's one of the only "authentic" blues guys out there today (no offense to Bonamassa and KWS, but...) People always reference this clip. It's actually not one of my favorites... but I do think he's got the soul of an old blues player, which JB and KWS do not. He records LIVE, including the vocals. He's a big believer in capturing the MOMENT, mistakes and all... old-school. If you haven't seen him live, I highly recommend it.

And, he can boogie too...

User Info Menu

All my favorites have already been posted... but I will post another Albert Collins, as there isn't enough of him in here...

And one who has not yet been mentioned....

User Info Menu

Albert Collins went his own way---open F minor tuning and using only his fingers to pick some of the most biting blues lines anyone ever heard.

This song, "Snowed In" is my favorite example of how Albert used his guitar for sound effects in telling stories. If you've never heard this, it's worth checking out. And when he gets that frosty car cranked, look out!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Albert Collins went his own way---open F minor tuning and using only his fingers to pick some of the most biting blues lines anyone ever heard.

This song, "Snowed In" is my favorite example of how Albert used his guitar for sound effects in telling stories. If you've never heard this, it's worth checking out. And when he gets that frosty car cranked, look out!

I always default to BB when someone asks me who my "favorite" is, because w/o BB.... BUT- I gotta' say, Collins is not only right up there, neck-and-neck, but may be pulling ahead.... for me.

Probably a big reason I like Benoit and early Jonny Lang so much... both are Collins disciples. Altho Lang left the blues a long time ago...

Benoit is also a big "effects" guy (with the guitar; no pedals).... check out "Dirty Dishes" and "We Make A Good Gumbo"

FFWD to 3:00

User Info Menu

Here's the great Otis Rush:

User Info Menu

...it's a Blues

User Info Menu

got to this one via the late great west coast bluesman -mike wilhelm

larry johnson- unheralded modern blues master--rip-keep it clean

cheers

User Info Menu

J Geils Band first album, doing a killer John Lee Hooker cover.

User Info Menu

"Charley Stone" 's my favourite Larry Johnson Song. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

The Blues has many faces.

joelf Guest
    Be Bu (minor blues): 48:10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    OK, so... I love Tab. I think he's one of the only "authentic" blues guys out there today (no offense to Bonamassa and KWS, but...) People always reference this clip. It's actually not one of my favorites... but I do think he's got the soul of an old blues player, which JB and KWS do not. He records LIVE, including the vocals. He's a big believer in capturing the MOMENT, mistakes and all... old-school. If you haven't seen him live, I highly recommend it.

And, he can boogie too...

He's also hands down one of the best drummers I've ever heard. Extremely talented man.

User Info Menu

How about this guy - a modern day bluesman who brings a lot of the past.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Poor Leslie...