The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 261

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    JAMES COTTON, CHARLIE HADEN, JOE LOUIS WALKER
    Joe Louis Walker is the real deal. I caught JLW a couple of times back in the '90s and after meeting him at a gig, we spent a long evening singing Son House songs together as he regaled me with first-hand stories of Muddy Waters, Earl Hooker, Fred McDowell and Magic Sam. Joe invited me to join him onstage at his CD launch the following day. A friend took a photo of the event but bizarrely, it was accidentally developed along with someone else's roll of film (I never found out who that woman was!):

The Blues Thread-pmb-jlw-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Agreed. I often teach that tune as a prime example of electric Chicago blues in the key of E. Here's my transcription of the intro and solo:

Attachment 69418Attachment 69419
    Neat! I'll print this and go over it next time I practice. That's a fun song.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=MarkRhodes;1011072]A few blues (and bluesy) things by the Rolling Stones.

/QUOTE]

now ry cooder is the man behind the stones use of g tuning..particularly keith who morphed it into his iconic 5 string tele...cooders on their jamming with edward sessions...and brought in his knowledge of slide and tunings...tho brian jones had been pretty good with elmore james type stuff in their early days

also, nice hearing the earl coleman ^..a fave singer...love his sides with bird

dark shadows-

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 02-23-2020 at 11:34 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Wow! Thanks---never knew this existed. What record is it from?

Can't say for sure, I found this cut on a compilation and just ended up looking for it on YouTube later on. I think it was later released under miles though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

also, nice hearing the earl coleman ^..a fave singer...love his sides with bird

dark shadows-

cheers
    That's a great one, cool hearing him with Bird.

joelf Guest
    How about some lesser-name but fine artists?

I grew up with harmonica player Corrin Huddleston. We were young blues freaks living and hangin' in the People's Republic of Brooklyn---late '60s-early '70s. He was a guy everyone looked up to then for his playing and singing.

He went on to become a busy pro, playing the full run of several Broadway shows and working as a rep for Hohner, traveling the country demonstrating their products. He showed me some harmonicas I never knew existed, like a huge bass one.

But the core of his playing has always been blues, and I'll let his playing speak for itself with a recent performance (he also has a youtube channel, if you like what you hear):

The youtube channel where he's featured way more:

Corrin Huddleston
    - YouTube

joelf Guest
    This one is really good---singing and playing. Good group, too:

User Info Menu

Eddie Boyd and Peter Green. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

My Favourite Song on the Album "7936 South Rhodes"

User Info Menu

Jimmie Vaughan & Duke Robillard, from a flexi-disc that came with an issue of "Guitar Player."

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Jimmie Vaughan & Duke Robillard, from a flexi-disc that came with an issue of "Guitar Player."

Remember that one well and I'm sure I still have it somewhere...

User Info Menu

On the jumpy side of the street...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    On the jumpy side of the street...

That's a very fine album!

User Info Menu

The original version of Folsom Prison Blues Cash cribbed from Gordon Jenkins’ “Crescent City Blues,” which includes the opening line “I hear the train a’comin’; it’s rollin’ ’round the bend.” Cash forked over a reported $100,000 after Jenkins sued him for copyright infringement.....if I shoot a man in Reno, NEVADA, what am I doing banged up in a CALIFORNIA State Pen?not only settled out of court for 75 grand, but that Gordon Jenkins would receive all future royalties for the song, PROVIDED he did not go to the media about it. That was the deal. This would have been a big blot on Cashs career, at a point where he had a hit TV show and was about to come out with a book about how Jesus had "Saved" him. Maybe it wouldn't have been a big deal if Folsom Prison wasn't his THEME song that opened all of his shows
    Last edited by voxsss; 02-28-2020 at 08:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Why do people do that? Stealing someone's music is a really low thing to do.

User Info Menu

Drive my Blues away...

joelf Guest
    It would be in very bad taste to put my own track up here, so I won't---but say that I arranged Folsom as a slow blues---and it works! Great song, 'liberated' or not, and terrific source material.

To Zina: 'Musicians are all the biggest thieves'---John Birks Gillespie

It's when you do it on the sneak and don't credit (or, worse, don't pay) that you're crossing the line and asking for trouble.

But, hey, what would the blues be without trouble?

User Info Menu

An old oracle once told:

If you only got 3 chords, you sometimes try to "steal" a fourth one.
    You carry it carefully under your belt,
    run home, bang it on the table
    and find out that it's just another G7

User Info Menu

Before horns were added to the final mix, "Albert's Shuffle".

User Info Menu

Hi Mark, your video-choice takes me way way way back...

Maybe we should forget all that "jazz-stuff" and kick off a Bloomfield/Winter Revival Band
    . Have fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crusoe
    Hi Mark, your video-choice takes me way way way back...

Maybe we should forget all that "jazz-stuff" and kick off a Bloomfield/Winter Revival Band
    . Have fun.
    Always loved Johnny Winter. He could really tear it up.

This cut is from one of his last records ("Roots") and the video contains many pictures of Johnny (and brother Edgar) as a kid.

User Info Menu

sad sad sad,...but we all have to go. R.I.P., Johnny Guitar

joelf Guest
    Ed Cherry posted this on FB today, and I pass it on:

User Info Menu

Mance Lipscomb, the first Bluesman I ever heard. Since then I'm hooked...
    Through Jazz,Gypsy Jazz,Swing,Country,Bluegrass, you name it...I never escaped the Blues and it's good
    that way.