The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 261

User Info Menu

Grimes was also in Tatum's trio earlier as well as recording w/Bird

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Now tell me that Charlie here doesn't sound like he's coming out of the blues?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Grimes was also in Tatum's trio earlier as well as recording w/Bird

yeah just wrote about that in the LEARNING CHARLIE PARKER "DONNA LEE" SOLO? thread!!

tatum trio with tiny and slam!! great stuff

tiny played a 4 string tenor...with the guitar like d-g-b-e tuning

cheers

User Info Menu

Speaking of Slam, he had the bowing humming thing down. Others did it, like Major Holley but Slam was the man, perfect intonation.
    Caught him when he came through as part of the Lionel Hampton All Stars and he stole the show!
    Here he is in Red Norvos band in '45 w all star lineup including Bird and Diz....

Last edited by wintermoon; 02-16-2020 at 08:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Another cut...these cats are flyin!

User Info Menu

Can't leave out the legendary Slim Gaillard, Jack McVea takes the 1st chorus and then Bird just....flies!

User Info Menu

Bill Jennings. "Big Boy" may be his best known number among jump blues lovers.
    Two versions of "Glide On" here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Because we've gotten so far away

And just because...
    I wonder how far away is this ? (go to 44:46 if the link doesn't take you):

User Info Menu

Some blues from Herb Ellis.

The intro to this one, "Sweetheart Blues" always reminds me of Horace Silver

User Info Menu

Big Bill Jennings fan here!!! Enough Said is a great album- the title track and Blues Jams are full of tasty stuff !! Jack McDuff on organ too!!!

watch out Hendrix - Jennings was there first with the upside down git

Will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

makes me want to get a dobro. Lonnie Johnson always one of my favourites - out and out blues player but with Ellington, Louis. And Eddie Lang, the classical and ragtime influence.... there’s jazz right there.
    Not a dobro, a 12-string.

joelf Guest
    Teddy Bunn is on this recording, with the fabulous singer and human Hadda Brooks.

(I myself spent a very memorable month give or take accompanying Our Ms. Brooks at Michael's Pub back in Autumn '93).

If you've a mind to go to youtube and punch in Hadda Brooks and The Thrill is Gone. (Go for the one w/the pic of Bogart and a woman in a car). She gave me chills singing this every night, rubato w/light strumming and bass bowing. This one will, too. (Might be Sinatra's guitarist Al Viola on it if there's guitar).

Brief bio: she started as a boogie woogie pianist with 'race record' hits in the early '40s---then someone with some sense listened and realized what a special ballad singer she was. Appeared w/Bogie in In a Lonely Place, had more hits with That's My Desire and Out of The Blue, worked for some years in Australia, and was the first woman of color in the US to host her own TV show...

Last edited by joelf; 02-17-2020 at 12:23 AM.

joelf Guest
    Oh, what the hell:

(Dig especially how she's just about crying on the bridge, then comes way down to finish. What a moment!

(Edit) No doubt about it---Hadda and Al Viola throughout, with some discreet piano at the very end...
    Last edited by joelf; 02-17-2020 at 12:09 AM.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Some blues from Herb Ellis.

The intro to this one, "Sweetheart Blues" always reminds me of Horace Silver

Yessir! Great album!!

User Info Menu

cc with teddy bunn (and slam stewart on bass!!) circa 1940...often attributed as being some sort of gibson promotional event!

bunn looks pleased..cc pensive!!! telling

cheers

User Info Menu

MINGUS BLUES & ROOTS, Crying the Blues

User Info Menu

Man.... I just feel better. Thanks for all the posts. (dang I’m old)

joelf Guest
    Lest we forget:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rahsaan

great clip...buddy at his best!! & the mighty rashaan rk shadows guys vocals, on single horn and then doubles/triples/horn sections the main lines...kirk..what a genius!! one of the true greats..highly underrated these days...he was hugely respected in his day..very popular performer!...& massive great talent

to play one horn as well as he..well ok..but to play 2 or 3 ..simultaneously...and with taste & panache!!

cheers

User Info Menu

My favorite version of "Down the Road Apiece."

"Man, it's better than chicken fried in bacon grease!"

User Info Menu

Tab Benoit, a Tele man from Lousiana. Used to see him at the old Rock'n'Bowl in NOLA. Good times.

User Info Menu

I learned the hard way that R&B is Gospel on vacation. All that's left of me is the gambler's blues.
    And the lonesome blues
    The old gigolo blues
    The Vegas blues
    The counting California license plate blues
    The gas station blues...

User Info Menu

^ never too late to end the vacation

bluesmen extraordinaires--cooder & lindley

cheers

User Info Menu

hooker n van

cheers

User Info Menu

I started on harmonica, that's all I could afford. Sonny Boy Williamson, James Cotton, Sonny Terry, got me on my way in the blues. When I could afford a cheap shitbox guitar, learning to play slide seemed the logical thing to do to make it sound better and play easier. Robert Johnson, Fred McDowell, and all those delta players were my first teachers, and my first love was the delta blues. That's what started it for me as a player.

Remember everyone, for us older guys, pre-internet was a big challenge to get your hands on stuff to listen to, and the old blues records were not just waiting in the record stores for us to discover. You really had to be a diligent explorer, just like jazz.