The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 261

User Info Menu

Jeez, Mississippi Fred McDowell. When Blues is Blues it is spooky.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

there are a lot of jazz-blues that stays in the spirit of the blues. Someone brought Herb Ellis' record, Starring Stan Getz and Roy Eldrige, it's one of Getz's best

Getz's counter-sing at 4:10 then solo at 4:45

there is obviously Mingus, and so much free jazz or its heritage

User Info Menu

BB King + the Count Basie Orchestra. BB's voice so absolutely glorious. And it's like God's Orchestra supporting him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I started on harmonica, that's all I could afford.
    I went through a blues harmonica phase, still got one of these. I did at least learn how to bend the notes a bit.

The Blues Thread-2f1de05f-0d41-4df5-9384-2863aa47d137-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    it was one of my first instruments, with the flute recorder. I never got to do the bluesmen's stuff with it. I also have a Honner like Toots Thielemans, there it's even worse

User Info Menu

Remember everyone, for us older guys, pre-internet was a big challenge to get your hands on stuff to listen to, and the old blues records were not just waiting in the record stores for us to discover. You really had to be a diligent explorer, just like jazz.
    Tell me all about it! I ordered most of my blues albums from Chris Strachwitz' "Down Home Music" shop and mail order - those were the times when shipping costs were still reasonable.

User Info Menu

I still try and play a bit of slide occasionally, it’s such a great expressive sound, but I’m not very good at it!

Here’s one of the famous examples.

User Info Menu

Remember when the blues was cool enough to be used in TV ads?

User Info Menu

Clarence Gatemouth Brown is one of my favourites, you get a bit of everything when he plays!

User Info Menu

young Van Morrison

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Tell me all about it! I ordered most of my blues albums from Chris Strachwitz' "Down Home Music" shop and mail order - those were the times when shipping costs were still reasonable.
    Used record stores in Nashville are where I found a lot of my early blues albums. I still recall how t-h-i-c-k Albert King's "Travelin' to California" was. First Robert Johnson albums were on Columbia, not so thick, much shinier. The things one remembers years later...

Later still, I ordered cassettes from a guy in Virginia who was taping from old albums, mostly out of print. I got my first Bob Wills recordings that way. (My uncle Tommy had them on 78s and sometimes he would play them for me.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Other faves, records I owned starting from teen years:

Sonny Terry-Brownie McGhee:
    (Hometown Blues---I think? On either Everest or Folkways. It had Meet You in the Morning---'if the boat don't sink and the train don't turn around...'
    B.B. King: Live at the Regal
    Blues Jam in Chicago
    Fathers and Sons
    Memphis Slim:
    Blue Memphis
    John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers: A Hard Road; Looking Back; John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers (Clapton w/Beano comic book); Blues From Laurel Canyon
    The Story of the Blues
    The Best of Little Walter
    (was said to be rare in the earliest '70s---had Juke, which we went nuts over)
    For openers, til I think of more...
    Yeah, Fathers and Son, Live at the Regal, and the Beano records were major touchstones for me. I have a lot of blues recordings since I've always played and listened to blues as much as I have to jazz, but if we're talking stuff that was foundational/formative, here are few more:

Mike Bloomfield: "Between a Hard Place and the Ground"
    Rev. Gary Davis Jr: Live at Newport
    Blues Project: Live at the Cafe Au GoGo
    Jimmy Reed: I had a couple of singles collections, I think one was called the Best of Jimmy Reed
    Otis Rush: So Many Roads Live in Japan
    Albert King: King of the Blues Guitar
    Freddie King: Let's Hide Away and Dance with Freddie King
    Hot Tuna: the first live album, and Burgers
    Lightin Hopkins: The Best of Lightnin Hopkins
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band: The first album, and East/West
    Derek and the Dominoes: Layla
    Robert Johnson: Kind for the Delta Blues Singers

I was fortunate to have gotten into blues when there was still a pretty vibrant live blues scene in NY, and was able to see a lot of great people live just at the point when I was trying to learn this music. I also had a few lessons with Danny Kalb (of the Blues Project) in high school, and he showed me a lot of stuff and got me singing, which is really the key to playing the blues.

John

User Info Menu

All my favorite jazz knows the blues. I can hear it pretty quickly. Great idea for a thread.

User Info Menu

This is one of my favorite records, blues or not. The bridge is unusual.

User Info Menu

Another one from Taj Mahal, totally different vibe.

User Info Menu

Can't say I have heard him mentioned hereabouts , although not a guitar player. I love Junior Mance his albums are a great place to dig into blues ideas

Will

User Info Menu

My favorite song from the first Taj Mahal album I got as a teenager. (That's the original cover pictured in the video.)

User Info Menu

How about this one? Joseph Spence!... i mean, if Monk was a Blues player..

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Yeah, Fathers and Son, Live at the Regal, and the Beano records were major touchstones for me. I have a lot of blues recordings since I've always played and listened to blues as much as I have to jazz, but if we're talking stuff that was foundational/formative, here are few more:

Mike Bloomfield: "Between a Hard Place and the Ground"
    Rev. Gary Davis Jr: Live at Newport
    Blues Project: Live at the Cafe Au GoGo
    Jimmy Reed: I had a couple of singles collections, I think one was called the Best of Jimmy Reed
    Otis Rush: So Many Roads Live in Japan
    Albert King: King of the Blues Guitar
    Freddie King: Let's Hide Away and Dance with Freddie King
    Hot Tuna: the first live album, and Burgers
    Lightin Hopkins: The Best of Lightnin Hopkins
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band: The first album, and East/West
    Derek and the Dominoes: Layla
    Robert Johnson: Kind for the Delta Blues Singers
    John
    And*:
    Albert King: Years Gone By
    Paul Butterfield: The Resurrection of Pigboy Crabshaw; In My Own Dream
    Mike Bloomfield: It Ain't Killin' Me
    Jesse Fuller: (Anything)

*Did anyone have this collection LP with a lot of mostly Chicago artists? Can't remember the name for the life of me, but it had an astounding moment in the middle of----I think---a Lowell Fulsom cut. Someone shouts out, music playing, 'Heil Hitler!'. Bizarre. Guess it was someone's idea of a joke?

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    This is one of my favorite records, blues or not. The bridge is unusual.

Beat me to the punch, you m$$$$# f**&^---LOL.

'She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride...'

Takes me back to when, in about '68, ca, Jonathan Schwartz was a rock DJ on WNEW FM. He played Taj a lot. I used to lie on the floor in front of the family Magnivox entertainment center for 8 hours at a time, spellbound.

Any wonder I turned out like this? (Insert stick figure of nut job here)...

User Info Menu

For guys my age, this was influential eye opening affirmation of the power and validity of contemporary electric interpretations of the country blues. Post Cream, pre SRV. Allmans owned it.

User Info Menu

Deep Lightnin' Hopkins.

Muddy w/ James Cotton. Wish I knew the rest of the group, but they are stellar no doubt.

Can't forget Freddie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    Muddy w/ James Cotton. Wish I knew the rest of the group, but they are stellar no doubt.

Two I can identify in the clip are: Pee Wee Madison - gtr. and Otis Spann - piano, plus most probably (because it was the line-up in 1966): Luther Johnson on bass and Francis Clay on drums.

User Info Menu

Different forms of country blues

User Info Menu

For guys my age, this was influential eye opening affirmation of the power and validity of contemporary electric interpretations of the country blues. Post Cream, pre SRV. Allmans owned it.
    Couldn't agree more. The guitar parts were great---I don't think there is a better two-guitar tandem in rock history than Duane Allman and Dickie Betts---and the rhythm was singular. Using two drummers gave them a feel no other rock-blues band had. I spent a couple days recently listening to "Fillmore East", "Eat A Peach" and selected later cuts, over and over. To me, the Allman Bros were giants.

Interesting to compare their "You Don't Love Me" with the earliest one. (Which I also like, don't get me wrong.) Between the two was the version by Junior Wells (1965). The Allmans were more influenced by this version than by the Willie Cobbs version. But b/w the Wells version and the Allman Bros version you can hear how much the rhythm section adds. (That's Buddy Guy playing guitar with Junior Wells and it's interesting to compare how he plays the main riff with how the Allmans do it.)

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 02-19-2020 at 12:10 PM.