The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Our standard for Feb 2020 will be Tea for Two (Vincent Youmans & Irving Caesar, 1924).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Tea for Two)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I find it difficult to come up with much interesting for this tune but I’ll keep at it! I’ll do a little listening. Bud Powell plays the verse every time around and at a breakneck tempo.

User Info Menu

Bud Powell
    God almighty :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    I find it difficult to come up with much interesting for this tune but I’ll keep at it! I’ll do a little listening. Bud Powell plays the verse every time around and at a breakneck tempo.
    Peter Bernstein composed a contrafact on it called ‘Jive Coffee’, in 5/4:

User Info Menu

Sorry to kill the thread

User Info Menu

You haven't. Boy racer stuff like that bores me. It's all technique, like a movie with too much CGI. Anyway, I'd already tried tritoning those dominants (independently) and rejected it because it was dull. Also, that idea had already been done by... can't remember now. Monk on another recording, I think. He did several versions. Barry Harris did it too.

I like this. All a matter of opinion, of course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Sorry to kill the thread ...
    Well, after 1:00 minute mark it is enjoyable listen, except for couple of spots that made me cringe.

User Info Menu

My favorite version.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    You haven't. Boy racer stuff like that bores me. It's all technique, like a movie with too much CGI. Anyway, I'd already tried tritoning those dominants (independently) and rejected it because it was dull. Also, that idea had already been done by... can't remember now. Monk on another recording, I think. He did several versions. Barry Harris did it too.

I like this. All a matter of opinion, of course.

Monk is usually best at jazz.

i have to say there’s a lot of sour grapes about Pasquale haha. He’s not my favourite but come on, not even a tiny bit of wow?

User Info Menu

Pasquale is WOW personified.

User Info Menu

Hi, guys -

Of course Pasquale is a good player. The technique is definitely wow, it's just that I find him a bit flowery and fiddly for my taste. It might be the Italian in him, to be honest (please no one start the racism stuff, for god's sake). Joe Pass had that too to some extent but didn't overdo it. I mean, most other players don't have that - Wes, Jimmy, Doug, Sco, etc, etc.

It's just a matter of taste, I guess. Mind you, most of that particular solo was played high, maybe because of the key. That's why I played my Ab one low :-)

As for Blossom, I quite like her voice, it sort of penetrates, although that one moved a little slowly for me.

User Info Menu

Pasquale subscribes to the Art Tatum/Joe Pass' father adage of "fill in those spaces."

It's about the highest level of playing you can imaginably achieve on the guitar.

Personally, I like him better with a group. I like any solo player better with a group. I find listening to a lot of solo guitar very tiring.

I do absolutely LOVE his sound here, though, which is not something I can say about most recordings I've heard of him. My guess is that THIS is how he wants to sound--any other recordings I've heard were someone else's limitations--not Pasquale's!

User Info Menu

But we need spaces, breathing space. Music is also the silence between the sounds.

User Info Menu

To be perfectly honest my head can’t cope with more than ten minutes of Art Tatum, but it’s clear he’s a genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Sorry to kill the thread

It is interesting that I began to appreciate Pasquale lately... I never really criticized him... I usually have no problem when people do something very different than I would do - I appreciate integrity, conviction... and before I felt like he has great talent and learned a lot of stuff and all but it was like... a collection of some different things stuck together ... you know... I did not feel that he himself really knew/felt where he was coming from or going to in general sense, what he was doing that for... I do not mean conciously, I mean that personal integrity that you usually feel in great artist.

And now - not that I became a big fan... but his latest recordings they show something new for me, like all the stuff he used before has now recieved some integral background, I really feel now his playing as a flow of his personality...
    It is very interesting to follow the development and evolution of such a player.

User Info Menu

Procrastinating and late to the party, as usual.

Here's mine:
    http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...%20MMorris.mp3

User Info Menu

I quite like this version with the great Larry Goldings and his use of subtle re-harminsation :