The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Our standard for Aug 2019 will be I Cover the Waterfront (Johnny Green & Edward Heyman, 1933).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (I Cover the Waterfront)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm going to put this up because it's worth it. I came on it by accident.

This guy used to play with a jazz band and is now retired. I think he's at least ninety. He plays every day to Aebersold backing tracks and his son records his playing. He's gathered quite a following and someone started a tribute website for him.

It's a helluva sound.

User Info Menu

2bornot2bop

Good lord, a sign of life! Well done.

Good, isn't he, the sax player. I can't believe no one else has heard that and not responded. This thread seems to have the plague.

User Info Menu

I just had a listen to the sax video, I agree he’s got a great sound and feel. Also sounds great on tenor sax. Age is no barrier for him!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    2bornot2bop

Good lord, a sign of life! Well done.

Good, isn't he, the sax player. I can't believe no one else has heard that and not responded. This thread seems to have the plague.
    Yes! I discovered Mr. Graves some 8 years ago. I've been a subscriber ever since. Welcome to the club! And great playing RM!

And I have a future "standards lesson" request. Old Folks...please?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Age is no barrier for him!
    Yes. His lesson to us is to keep playing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Yes! I discovered Mr. Graves some 8 years ago. I've been a subscriber ever since. Welcome to the club! And great playing RM!

And I have a future "standards lesson" request. Old Folks...please?

M-ster, who runs this thread, will probably explain that there's a list of standards and we sort of go through it one by one. Occasionally, if a song's been recently done, it may be skipped and we do the next one.

This is the list:

Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals Contents

I Cover The Waterfront, which is the current one, is No. 50. I'm afraid Old Folks doesn't appear till the next page and it's No. 144.

However, there are probably other options which I'm sure he will explain. There's already a thread about the chords here:

"Old Folks" by Willard Robison

User Info Menu

I looked at a few lead sheets, listened to several classic recordings then tried a solo arrangement in F without peeking at a chart. It’s rough, but has the feel I want. I’d like to have a more prominent bass line, but right now I’m trying to focus on the melody.

User Info Menu

Here's how i played it 3 years ago:

Maybe about time to revisit it?

User Info Menu

We're almost out of month, i've got to work a long shift today,
    and this is the best i could manage before my 2nd cup of coffee...

User Info Menu

Nice overall feel to that, dg. Great backing.