Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Long time lurker,short time poster.

I've been working the Bbmaj7 to D7#9 chordal run for some and have had trouble with the phrasing until a lightbulb moment when I realised Wes plays the Abmin11 chord as an up stroke. This is the Incredible Jazz Guitar of version.

Don't know why I didn't figure that one out before.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I thought your post was about me

Could be. Do you use an up stroke?

User Info Menu

Here's a lesson on it! Very good lesson on the head!

He has it wrong as well. All of those chords in the sequence are a strummed.
    I've slowed it down to 15% and can guarantee that all chords are strummed. Also it sounds to me that the treble notes in the Abmin11 sound first.Therefore it must be an upstroke.
    Take a closer listen.

User Info Menu

Minor point, but Wes played the C G at the 8th fret starting on the E string.

Agree.

User Info Menu

Some close-ups of Wes playing it here:

When I first started working on this tune I assumed ( yeh don't assume) he played that sequence with all down strokes because that was what he was known for. A thumb player. Until on slowing it right down to 15%, Transcribe!,
    I realised he used an up stroke and you can see his thumb snap back on that vid.

He does use upstrokes! Although he plays the intro bass lick with downstrokes, I've found it to be a great exercise playing alternate with the thumb, down down up down.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Here's one of my favorite players! Ulf!