The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Andyb,

First of all, kudos to you for putting yourself out there...it ain't easy!

I think your note choices, melodically, are great so far. I can hear the changes, there's a n actual line, not just noodling.

I think the big thing for you to investigate further is rhythm. Do me a favor and check out these three examples of Satin Doll, should be easy to find on YouTube:

Wes Montgomery from "a dynamic new sound"
    Barney Kessel from the 2nd Poll Winners record
    And Kenny Burrell with Jimmy Smith on the Organ grinder swing.

All these versions are just a little faster than yours, but still squarely in that "mid tempo" zone. Listen and tell me how many truly straight 8ths you hear them play, no accents.

Dont be afraid to lay back a bit...medium tempo is actually a very tough tempo not to sound square at...Sometimes behind the beat is where to be.
    Thanks for taking the time to listen, I will definitely look those examples up.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Thanks for taking the time to listen, I will definitely look those examples up.
    You're welcome!

Let me know what you take from those recordings and by all means, keep posti music here! (Sure beats gear threads)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    You're welcome!

Let me know what you take from those recordings and by all means, keep posti music here! (Sure beats gear threads)
    Mr. Beaumont

Well I have listened to the tracks a couple of times each, great tracks by the way. I don’t have the experience to give a complete critical analysis. But here goes, there are some straight eight note runs, mostly on the Wes recording. What makes them interesting though is the amount of variation in time and dynamics, fast runs, double stops at the end of runs( Kessell ) Burrell sounds more laid back with that bluesy feel he has, then he explodes in to a fast run. Great stuff and lots of things for me to think about.

The Conti lines are taught mostly in straight eights, he does say that’s because it’s easier to teach in that way, and the student should manipulate the line to there own taste over time.
    I will keep listening to the tracks, and perhaps have another go at recording something with less eight note runs.

Thanks again for the advice, it’s much appreciated.

andyb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    I thought I would post this up.
    I am open to constructive criticism, tips, encouragement and motivation.
    andyb
    Since you’ve been talking about making the rhythm more interesting, I wanted to suggest turning off the comping in your backing track program. My only complaint about iReal Pro is how bad the comping track sounds. I feel it’s always fighting my feel of the rhythm. I play much more freely with it turned off. About half the time I turn off the percussion too. The bass tracks are usually pretty good and make it easier to mess around playing ahead or behind the beat or syncopating without another instrument working against me.

User Info Menu

There's a transcription of the Kenny Burrell solo.

User Info Menu

Hello there, as I recorded a new take on this. I shared the other take at the begging of this topic and it was recorded 6 months ago.

Today I decided to use a rhythm backing track.
    I hope you enjoy it.

As always feedback are welcome.

User Info Menu

Backtracking ... I'd say I'm sufficiently late with this one:

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...0doll%2001.mp3