The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

We previously tackled You Go to My Head (in Jun 2011), There Will Never Be Another You (in Feb 2016), and Georgia on My Mind (in both Jul 2014 and Aug 2016), so ...

Our standard for Apr 2019 will be Satin Doll (music attributed to Duke Ellington & Billy Strayhorn, lyrics to Johnny Mercer - 1953).

I found this bizarre: Ted Gioia notes in his book The Jazz Standards that the week Ellington recorded Satin Doll "the number one song in America was 'The Doggie in the Window,' sung by Patti Page." There's no accounting for taste, folks.

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Satin Doll)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello there.

I'll kick-off this time with a recording from a while ago.
    Maybe until the end of the month I'll record a new take to see how much I improved in 6 months.

User Info Menu

oh wow, interesting - i have been looking at the Jens Larsen webpage- he did a recent video on Barney Kessel and satin doll. just printed off the solo

User Info Menu

We did YGTMH in 2011? So we're doing Satin Doll? Again?

This is an April Fool's joke. Got to be!

User Info Menu

Sounds great Kris! The tele?

Rag, see, you made the best of it

It's not a terrible song...I guess...

I'll do one, what the hell.

User Info Menu

Ok, had 2 beers on an empty stomach and away we go...I think this is called "dicking around."

User Info Menu

Kris,

Really nice version. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Jeff -

Heh heh :-) I like the way it went fuzzy in the middle... smiled all the way through

User Info Menu

I just banged this out today as I was playing with a 1960's vintage Silvertone 1484 Twin-Twelve head, played through the 2 10" speakers in the cab of my Yamaha G100-210. This is a solo by Robert Conti followed by the head pounded out in a pretty ordinary chord-melody fashion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I just banged this out today as I was playing with a 1960's vintage Silvertone 1484 Twin-Twelve head, played through the 2 10" speakers in the cab of my Yamaha G100-210. This is a solo by Robert Conti followed by the head pounded out in a pretty ordinary chord-melody fashion.

that amp sounds great.

as usual, the part that's you is fun and swinging and totally in pocket, and the Conti bit is stiff and lame.

lets hear more YOU.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    ... This is a solo by Robert Conti followed by the head pounded out in a pretty ordinary chord-melody fashion. ...
    From couple of your recent postings, seems you are developing some serious chops. I think above take would benefit from slower tempo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    Hello there.

I'll kick-off this time with a recording from a while ago.
    Maybe until the end of the month I'll record a new take to see how much I improved in 6 months.

Sounding pretty good already, I'd say! I agree with Kris, do another take and compare...video is a great way to gauge progress.

By the way, is that your Kingpin's unplugged sound? I thought mine was loud and good sounding, but yours is even better...what strings/gauge?

User Info Menu

I've been working on this tune lately and discovered a few good resources in my library that be in yours too? I forget all the stuff I have on my book shelf sometimes.

Greg Fishman's Jazz Guitar Etudes has one based on Satin Doll changes which has some nice lines...off the the top of my head...Rush Street may be the etude's title.

Wolf Marshall has a book called "Best of Jazz Guitar" that has among other things Satin Doll transcriptions by Howard Roberts and Joe Pass.

Wolf is apparently an interesting fellow...google search reveals he was a big hair metal ooking dude back then yet it is he actually playing the solos on the accompanying CD to the above mentioned book and he sounds great.....really good...nails Hall's St. Thomas among other things.

User Info Menu

Great versions there kris, ragman, mr. beaumont and lawson-stone.

Yes kris, I'll record another take amplified and with a rhythm guitar backing tracking.

Hey mr. beaumont, thank you.
    Yeah, it's the acoustic sound. I don't remember if I was using Martin monel or D'addario pure nickel when I recorded this video, because I changed from Martin to D'addario a few months ago, but I'm sure that is 0.12. This is an incredible guitar.

User Info Menu

It’s a catchy tune, but I’ve never found it too inspiring for melodic improvising. I feel like the melody and changes are dragging me around too much. I’ve been trying though.
    Here’s a medium swing take, a bit sloppy.

And a slow one that I actually recorded just before the previous one.

When I feel trapped by a swing tune it sometimes helps to switch to a latin feel. If I come up with anything interesting I’ll record that too.
    Last edited by KirkP; 04-10-2019 at 05:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Satin Doll, HM rhythm guitar/ chord melody on unplugged Telecaster Squier MIJ E6

If you say you like it, I can record it with backing track?
    AI think I deserve some credit for not naming it Satan Droll, or something similarly obvious ...

Turn the volume down, it is unplugged, but still too loud!!!

Click on photo will redirect you to blog post:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Satin Doll, HM rhythm guitar/ chord melody on unplugged Telecaster Squier MIJ E6

If you say you like it, I can record it with backing track?
    AI think I deserve some credit for not naming it Satan Droll, or something similarly obvious ...

Turn the volume down, it is unplugged, but still too loud!!!

Click on photo will redirect you to blog post:

I liked it, it's something like Satin on the water.

User Info Menu

This is one of my favorite versions for this song.
    Soon I'll post another take.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I think kris was just referring to the recording sound, it does have artefacts which sound a bit ‘underwater’.
    Basically, that is how I understood it. It does not matter any more, since Kris have left the forum. I really do not think anything that was said in this topic provoked his reaction. Probably someone said something else, elsewhere.
    We can only respect his decision and hope for comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    My son’s laptop sounded just like this when he recorded something with it, eventually we found that turning off the default ‘noise reduction’ in the laptop’s sound properties got rid of the weird artefacts, then he was able to get a much better recording.
    I have heard such recordings.

However, my laptop does not sound like that on it's own and there is no default noise reduction. There is load of hiss, though.
    Good part of underwater artefacts are due noise reduction, which I applied purposely and intentionally. They are even more exaggerated due compression and limiting. And there is more.
    In fact this recording was much more elaborate and complicated than you might assume.

Whatever they are, I decided they are what I want in my recording. Ie. I think it is better with them, than without. I do not find them weird.

No hard feelings. This was just to clarify that we do not agree on standards of what is better recording.

User Info Menu

I keep checking out the Practical Standard thread hoping it comes back to life but I guess that's not going to happen. Another good player gone. A year ago this thread and the Chord Melody thread were the hot thing. Lots of good players sharing. Now.......well, you can see for yourselves.

Sigh.

User Info Menu

Here's one try of mine at the tune, sorry for the poor video quality, I used the wrong phone camera..

User Info Menu

Excellent solo version and great thumb technique!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Here's one try of mine at the tune, sorry for the poor video quality, I used the wrong phone camera..
    Excellent! I hope to hear more from you.

User Info Menu

I thought I would post this up.

My reasons for doing so are to make a record of my progress through Conti's Jazz Lines material, and the challenge of learning a new tune each month.

I am just starting out on "The Jazz Lines" following on from the TTI study group, here I have mostly used lines from lesson 1 and 2, because that's as far as I have got so far.

I am open to constructive criticism, tips, encouragement and motivation.

andyb
    Last edited by andyb; 04-23-2019 at 05:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Andyb,

First of all, kudos to you for putting yourself out there...it ain't easy!

I think your note choices, melodically, are great so far. I can hear the changes, there's a n actual line, not just noodling.

I think the big thing for you to investigate further is rhythm. Do me a favor and check out these three examples of Satin Doll, should be easy to find on YouTube:

Wes Montgomery from "a dynamic new sound"
    Barney Kessel from the 2nd Poll Winners record
    And Kenny Burrell with Jimmy Smith on the Organ grinder swing.

All these versions are just a little faster than yours, but still squarely in that "mid tempo" zone. Listen and tell me how many truly straight 8ths you hear them play, no accents.

Dont be afraid to lay back a bit...medium tempo is actually a very tough tempo not to sound square at...Sometimes behind the beat is where to be.