Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 89 of 89
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    People have various reasons for posting their playing, some looking for tips & criticism, others looking for encouragement & motivation. It’s also interesting to compare various approaches to a tune. In general, if someone doesn’t ask for criticism I try to resist offering it. But if something particularly interests me in someone else’s recording I try to comment on it. If others do ask for criticism I try to offer something helpful. It helps if they are specific about what aspect of their playing they are seeking comments on.

    I post recordings mostly as a motivator. If the tune of the month interests me I’ll work on it a bit to see if I can come up with something a little interesting. Usually I know the faults, so I don’t ask for criticism.
    Last edited by KirkP; 04-17-2019 at 10:40 AM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I quit posting when I realised that I wasn't getting any feedback that would help my path of learning more about jazz.

    I don't post for vanity. When I posted I hoped to get some pointers from better players about what I could work on to improve. People were polite and complimented me but that doesn't help my musical journey.

    This thread is pretty much dead in comparison to what is was. It's, at best, on life support and having me post won't help it.

    OTOH, I guess you guys are getting something out of it so carry on and good luck on your musical journey's.
    Actually no feedback is a kind of feedback itself in some ways. But also, the idea that posting "for vanity" is a bad thing is questionable. I rarely get to play for anyone other than my wife at home, who suffers through it all. Periodically maintenance staff in my building here me hacking through stuff in my office after hours when I'm working late.

    So posting here is, for me, not vanity, but simply taking a moment to play something for my friends. I don't expect them to oooh and aaah over it. I just hope they'll be glad I'm hanging in there, making progress, and having fun playing for them. Yes, I do love it when I get substantive feedback, which did happen here with me SD take on page 1. But even with no replies, I enjoy playing for my friends, and I hope I have a few friends, of a sort, on here.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Actually no feedback is a kind of feedback itself in some ways. But also, the idea that posting "for vanity" is a bad thing is questionable. I rarely get to play for anyone other than my wife at home, who suffers through it all. Periodically maintenance staff in my building here me hacking through stuff in my office after hours when I'm working late.

    So posting here is, for me, not vanity, but simply taking a moment to play something for my friends. I don't expect them to oooh and aaah over it. I just hope they'll be glad I'm hanging in there, making progress, and having fun playing for them. Yes, I do love it when I get substantive feedback, which did happen here with me SD take on page 1. But even with no replies, I enjoy playing for my friends, and I hope I have a few friends, of a sort, on here.
    Great post, Lawson. I don't have any musical friends irl (thus I play mostly solo), and think of people here the same way (the nice ones). I consider you a musical friend most certainly
    White belt
    My Youtube

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    Here's what I got flamed for. Sure, tell me it need more interest, tell me it's too slow, even tell me it's boring; but don't tell me I should never have posted it and it's awful. awful is a strong word for someone trying something new to hear (I'm a solo guitarist mostly)
    Who flamed you for that?

    I'm guessing someone who has never posted a single example of their playing. Cat types a good solo, though.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

    "Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

    --The Ghost of Duke Ellington

  6. #55

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Who flamed you for that?

    I'm guessing someone who has never posted a single example of their playing. Cat types a good solo, though.
    good guess, but actually not in this case.
    White belt
    My Youtube

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    Here's what I got flamed for. Sure, tell me it need more interest, tell me it's too slow, even tell me it's boring; but don't tell me I should never have posted it and it's awful. awful is a strong word for someone trying something new to hear (I'm a solo guitarist mostly)
    Joe, I can hear what you're working on in this clip and there is nothing in it that deserved flames.

    For me I've just about had it with jerk-offs on the web. All they need is an account and they're all of a sudden a pro.

    Lawson, I'm glad you post and enjoy posting. I've always liked your playing and can hear what you're working on when you play. Keep it up.

    Anyway, I'll be retiring next year and may feel different about posting but as of now I'm not getting anything from it and will wait in hopes that things change.

  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    \

    Anyway, I'll be retiring next year and may feel different about posting but as of now I'm not getting anything from it and will wait in hopes that things change.
    thanks gramps and I hope it does change because I liked your playing on the solo guitar thread.
    White belt
    My Youtube

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    Here's what I got flamed for. Sure, tell me it need more interest, tell me it's too slow, even tell me it's boring; but don't tell me I should never have posted it and it's awful. awful is a strong word for someone trying something new to hear (I'm a solo guitarist mostly)
    Clearly you had not posted that clip as a bid to usurp Tal Farlow or Joe Pass, but as a serious stab at improvising over a ballad. I like to say that I don't make history, I just make music. Anybody who would tear you up over an effort like that is just full of themselves, or projecting some attitude onto you that was never there. It's also true some of the most gifted players are really horrible human beings with no idea how to relate to people!

    I'm brewing an effort on "There Will Never Be Another You" that will likely set a newly lowered bar on "entry level solo" efforts!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    It was me because I felt he could have done a thousand times better, and I still think that.

    I like Joe, it wasn't a put-down, it was a friendly comment made in a positively intentioned way. It also came at the start of a lengthy private video made especially for him about how to tackle the tune in a way he could do it. If you want, but only with his permission, I'll post it here and you may judge.

    As for multiple efforts, don't forget it was me, and pretty well only me at the time, who reinvented every tune we did, multiple times. It wasn't just one post after the other by me either. Practically nothing else was happening and there were respectable gaps between the postings. You know what happened and I withdrew. But we won't go over that again.

    One person, who left a long time ago, said he thought I was crowding other players out. I pointed out to him that there were no other players! That person was himself a very good player and, had he posted, would have got all the plaudits he deserved regardless of anybody else, especially me.

    So there it is... we are where we are now.

  11. #60

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    It was me because I felt he could have done a thousand times better, and I still think that.

    I like Joe, it wasn't a put-down, it was a friendly comment made in a positively intentioned way. It also came at the start of a lengthy private video made especially for him about how to tackle the tune in a way he could do it. If you want, but only with his permission, I'll post it here and you may judge.
    Thanks rags. I'm a sensitive guy and it rubbed me the wrong way because it was a sincere effort. Maybe just consider how you put things because you ripped me apart when I was trying to learn how to swing also.
    White belt
    My Youtube

  12. #61

    User Info Menu

    And as for Gramps, post here. Because if you don't, who will? Apply the 'what would happen if everybody thought like that' axiom and it speaks for itself.

    Your efforts are perfectly good enough to display and there's little point in just playing for yourself when there's a willing audience here. So go for it!

  13. #62
    Personally i enjoy these threads. Like hanging out with guitarist friends, you talk gear, sometimes you jam, exchange opinions or not, etc.. It 's all good.

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    Thanks rags. I'm a sensitive guy and it rubbed me the wrong way because it was a sincere effort. Maybe just consider how you put things because you ripped me apart when I was trying to learn how to swing also.
    You should have said. The only comment I actually made was that it was a bit slow, as I recall. No ripping apart, I wouldn't do that. I certainly didn't mean to upset you, quite the contrary. To be honest, I thought you'd gone off to try it out!

  15. #64

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    You should have said. I certainly didn't mean to upset you, quite the contrary. To be honest, I thought you'd gone off to try it out!
    no I ended up quitting trying to play single notes and went back to what I'm better at. I just now am starting to work on single notes and comping again rather than arrangements. anyway water under the bridge
    White belt
    My Youtube

  16. #65

    User Info Menu

    Ah, I didn't know, you see.

    As an afterthought, I think it's pretty hard to swing at the speed you did it. It needs some movement to provoke the swing, as it were. I wish I'd known about the swinging at the time.

    Anyway, all over now.

  17. #66

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    no I ended up quitting trying to play single notes and went back to what I'm better at. I just now am starting to work on single notes and comping again rather than arrangements. anyway water under the bridge
    Based on that video I would say just keep working along the same lines, it sounded quite good to me.

  18. #67

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I keep checking out the Practical Standard thread hoping it comes back to life but I guess that's not going to happen. Another good player gone. A year ago this thread and the Chord Melody thread were the hot thing. Lots of good players sharing. Now.......well, you can see for yourselves.

    Sigh.
    I hope to jump in, for no other reason than I need to learn songs. Maybe people aren't happy with what's being posted, but we all aren't seasoned pros who are sick of whatever the "Stairway to Heaven" of jazz is.

  19. #68

    User Info Menu

    I do work on the tune most months, I just seem to run out of time or not ready to post anything by the end of the month. Also I keep trying to do them as solo versions, which doesn’t make it any easier!

    I would encourage anyone to do this even if they don’t intend to post anything, it’s a great way to at least get some familiarity with a lot of tunes.

  20. #69

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    I do work on the tune most months, I just seem to run out of time or not ready to post anything by the end of the month. Also I keep trying to do them as solo versions, which doesn’t make it any easier!

    I would encourage anyone to do this even if they don’t intend to post anything, it’s a great way to at least get some familiarity with a lot of tunes.
    I follow you on Soundcloud. I enjoy what you post there, so please keep that going.

  21. #70

    User Info Menu

    Thanks, I hope to do more in future.

  22. #71
    Here's one try of mine at the tune, sorry for the poor video quality, I used the wrong phone camera..


  23. #72

    User Info Menu

    Excellent solo version and great thumb technique!

  24. #73

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    Here's one try of mine at the tune, sorry for the poor video quality, I used the wrong phone camera..
    Excellent! I hope to hear more from you.

  25. #74

    User Info Menu

    I thought I would post this up.

    My reasons for doing so are to make a record of my progress through Conti's Jazz Lines material, and the challenge of learning a new tune each month.

    I am just starting out on "The Jazz Lines" following on from the TTI study group, here I have mostly used lines from lesson 1 and 2, because that's as far as I have got so far.

    I am open to constructive criticism, tips, encouragement and motivation.



    andyb
    Last edited by andyb; 04-23-2019 at 05:28 PM.

  26. #75

    User Info Menu

    Andyb,

    First of all, kudos to you for putting yourself out there...it ain't easy!

    I think your note choices, melodically, are great so far. I can hear the changes, there's a n actual line, not just noodling.

    I think the big thing for you to investigate further is rhythm. Do me a favor and check out these three examples of Satin Doll, should be easy to find on YouTube:

    Wes Montgomery from "a dynamic new sound"
    Barney Kessel from the 2nd Poll Winners record
    And Kenny Burrell with Jimmy Smith on the Organ grinder swing.

    All these versions are just a little faster than yours, but still squarely in that "mid tempo" zone. Listen and tell me how many truly straight 8ths you hear them play, no accents.

    Dont be afraid to lay back a bit...medium tempo is actually a very tough tempo not to sound square at...Sometimes behind the beat is where to be.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

    "Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

    --The Ghost of Duke Ellington

  27. #76

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Andyb,

    First of all, kudos to you for putting yourself out there...it ain't easy!

    I think your note choices, melodically, are great so far. I can hear the changes, there's a n actual line, not just noodling.

    I think the big thing for you to investigate further is rhythm. Do me a favor and check out these three examples of Satin Doll, should be easy to find on YouTube:

    Wes Montgomery from "a dynamic new sound"
    Barney Kessel from the 2nd Poll Winners record
    And Kenny Burrell with Jimmy Smith on the Organ grinder swing.

    All these versions are just a little faster than yours, but still squarely in that "mid tempo" zone. Listen and tell me how many truly straight 8ths you hear them play, no accents.

    Dont be afraid to lay back a bit...medium tempo is actually a very tough tempo not to sound square at...Sometimes behind the beat is where to be.
    Thanks for taking the time to listen, I will definitely look those examples up.

  28. #77

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by andyb View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to listen, I will definitely look those examples up.
    You're welcome!

    Let me know what you take from those recordings and by all means, keep posti music here! (Sure beats gear threads)
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

    "Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

    --The Ghost of Duke Ellington

  29. #78

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    You're welcome!

    Let me know what you take from those recordings and by all means, keep posti music here! (Sure beats gear threads)
    Mr. Beaumont

    Well I have listened to the tracks a couple of times each, great tracks by the way. I don’t have the experience to give a complete critical analysis. But here goes, there are some straight eight note runs, mostly on the Wes recording. What makes them interesting though is the amount of variation in time and dynamics, fast runs, double stops at the end of runs( Kessell ) Burrell sounds more laid back with that bluesy feel he has, then he explodes in to a fast run. Great stuff and lots of things for me to think about.

    The Conti lines are taught mostly in straight eights, he does say that’s because it’s easier to teach in that way, and the student should manipulate the line to there own taste over time.
    I will keep listening to the tracks, and perhaps have another go at recording something with less eight note runs.

    Thanks again for the advice, it’s much appreciated.

    andyb

  30. #79

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by andyb View Post
    I thought I would post this up.
    ...
    I am open to constructive criticism, tips, encouragement and motivation.
    andyb
    Since you’ve been talking about making the rhythm more interesting, I wanted to suggest turning off the comping in your backing track program. My only complaint about iReal Pro is how bad the comping track sounds. I feel it’s always fighting my feel of the rhythm. I play much more freely with it turned off. About half the time I turn off the percussion too. The bass tracks are usually pretty good and make it easier to mess around playing ahead or behind the beat or syncopating without another instrument working against me.

  31. #80

    User Info Menu

    Thought I'd see what happened in another key. It's a good tune.


  32. #81

    User Info Menu

    There's a transcription of the Kenny Burrell solo.


  33. #82

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by andyb View Post
    I thought I would post this up.

    My reasons for doing so are to make a record of my progress through Conti's Jazz Lines material, and the challenge of learning a new tune each month.

    I am just starting out on "The Jazz Lines" following on from the TTI study group, here I have mostly used lines from lesson 1 and 2, because that's as far as I have got so far.

    I am open to constructive criticism, tips, encouragement and motivation.

    andyb
    Hello there andyb.
    I think that Mr. B already told you the main thing that we all need to focus. It's everything about the rhythm. The notes are important of course, but man the rhythm is what gives the song that mojo.

    That said, we're all together in this pursuit, everyone have something to learn, to practice, to get better.
    I enjoyed your video, keep recording yourself and posting here, it's an incredible way to improve.
    Last edited by clebergf; 04-25-2019 at 10:47 AM.

  34. #83

    User Info Menu

    Hello there, as I recorded a new take on this. I shared the other take at the begging of this topic and it was recorded 6 months ago.

    Today I decided to use a rhythm backing track.
    I hope you enjoy it.



    As always feedback are welcome.

  35. #84

    User Info Menu

    Before end of the month ...

    Previously posted unplugged "HM chord melody" used as rhythm guitar, with distortion, with HM backing track ...

    I am totally not satisfied with this. I even thought I'd better not post it at all, but since some effort was made, let's not totally waste it. Could be useful for somebody, as an example of what not to do.
    One of those situations .... last night, when I recorded it, it all sounded like good idea. Today, it's just out of tune, lead guitar is too loud in the mix, .... awful! ...
    even YouTube cut of part of a part of final hit, last couple tenths of a second ... disaster ...

    That's why I put a stunned cat in video. People love clips with cats.

    Click on picture to be redirected to Blog post:

    Last edited by Vladan; 04-30-2019 at 05:28 AM.
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

  36. #85

    User Info Menu

    Goodbye, Satin Doll...so sad :-)


  37. #86

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    awful! ...
    I liked it

  38. #87

    User Info Menu

    Thank you. Your sad version is really sad, in a good way.

    Sent from My Blog Page
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

  39. #88

    User Info Menu

    Backtracking ... I'd say I'm sufficiently late with this one:

    http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...0doll%2001.mp3

  40. #89

    User Info Menu

    a bump, with direct YT link ...

    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v