The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

well....as I was slaving away on different versions of this tune I thought you folks might get something out of this too. so I've transcribed a gypsy recording of Tunisia. I've tried to get close to the guitar players timings and fingerings although sometimes I've strayed only because gypsies have this idiosyncratic method of not using the 4th finger (perhaps it;s a Reinhardt thing I dunno). Anyway the challenge was to sort out the chords for the C section which I believe are best indicated iin the realbook 1 and I tend to agree with the way these guys play the chords. + there's my favourite minor with a low 6th shape that they always use in there too. notice he switches register a lot by just slding up and down with his index finger, very good idea that.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jonbo; 06-21-2019 at 01:47 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In my limited understanding of Gypsy Jazz technique, sliding chromatically horizontally on one string is very idiomatic to the genre. It's a great technique, Pat Martino uses a variation of this idea in his own playing. I have to say, it's A LOT trickier than it looks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    In my limited understanding of Gypsy Jazz technique, sliding chromatically horizontally on one string is very idiomatic to the genre. It's a great technique, Pat Martino uses a variation of this idea in his own playing. I have to say, it's A LOT trickier than it looks
    Yeh

I'm sure you're right about the index finger business. I've not really tried it, but it's always been a conundrum to switch higher lower registers. I have tried NOT to use the pinky on the top E string so allowing the index move up and down a bit quicker (seems to work).& I know a lot of Flamenco guys utilise the open top string more to make the flow work better e.g. Paco Da Lucia.

User Info Menu

Like any song, it really requires learning the melody and form first. The . It's a matter of seeing what familiar harmony it contains, like major or minor 2/5/1's, Blues,Ballad,Latin,etc.