The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Our standard for Feb 2019 will be Night in Tunisia (D Gillespie, F Paparelli, J Hendricks, 1942).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Night in Tunisia)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Popular this one!

I'll break my own complaint and post this. Anyone who doesn't like this has stopped living!

User Info Menu

The first six bars are usually written as
    | Eb7 | Dmin |
    but as I’m starting on the tune I feel my ideas flow better if I think of them as
    | Bbmin6 | Dmin6 |
    then improvise over the melodic minor scales in Bb and D.

I think the first chord could also be considered to be A7alt. Bb melodic minor is the altered scale of A since it includes the root, 3rd, b7, b5, #5, b9 and #9, so it still works no matter which name you choose for the chord.

Am I on the right track? I’m kind of weak on altered scales and melodic minor substitutions, so maybe this is a good tune to focus on some of that.

User Info Menu

Yes I find it easier to view it that way too. Probably how Pat Martino would see it too, with his minor conversion approach.

User Info Menu

I was doing Bbm6 - Dm6.

I think. Can't quite remember.

User Info Menu

Some good ideas here from Chris.

User Info Menu

Playing B note over Amb5 in the head - it is not good idea....also Ab -it is too nostalgic note.
    I think Night in Tunisia is very energetic and rhythmic jazz tune making people happy.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The melody of this tune is a masterclass in line construction on minor II V I's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    The first six bars are usually written as
    | Eb7 | Dmin |
    but as I’m starting on the tune I feel my ideas flow better if I think of them as
    | Bbmin6 | Dmin6 |
    then improvise over the melodic minor scales in Bb and D.

I think the first chord could also be considered to be A7alt. Bb melodic minor is the altered scale of A since it includes the root, 3rd, b7, b5, #5, b9 and #9, so it still works no matter which name you choose for the chord.

Am I on the right track? I’m kind of weak on altered scales and melodic minor substitutions, so maybe this is a good tune to focus on some of that.
    I think that works.

It's obvious that the first line on Eb7 is derived from the 'important minor' arpeggio with neighbour tones (Bbm triad, basically) - of course if you like to think that way, Bbm on A7 instantly suggest the altered scale - it's not how I think, but it can certainly point you in that direction. Later we have a characteristic b5 (Eb) in the melody.

(I would probably tend to see it differently, to me it's as important to look at how the notes in the line are functioning in relation to the target chord as any scale. I would also think Eb7.)

Anyway, look at the bridge, great examples of line building on a minor II-V's using the harmonic minor scales.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    But nobody wants to play it :-)
    I'll have a go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I'll have a go.

Beautifull playing!
    Real jazz guitar take.
    Congrats.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    But nobody wants to play it :-)
    nr1... "no what to play but how to play"...

User Info Menu

Terrific stuff, Graham! You've lost none of your old touch, I see. That's the way to do it!

User Info Menu

thanks guys!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    ok so that's the best thing I've ever seen. What is JOTW, and is there a program i can get to create hellish landscapes like this?

User Info Menu

Ah, a Simon Fransman classic...

Jotw is Jam of the Week, a really great Facebook group in which a tune (or sometimes an artist) is "assigned" every week and everybody does their take. I keep it closer to the original intent of the group, usually just one chorus of improv...but as you can see, other folks take the assignment to creative new levels.

It's a great way to keep your chops up, learn new tunes quickly, and the folks are generally really supportive. I'd recommend anyone here to join--I've been doing it for about 4 years, and it's really taught me how to get inside a song quickly.

User Info Menu

These (short) vids are also a legit really good primer for bebop line construction:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Ah, a Simon Fransman classic...

Jotw is Jam of the Week, a really great Facebook group in which a tune (or sometimes an artist) is "assigned" every week and everybody does their take. I keep it closer to the original intent of the group, usually just one chorus of improv...but as you can see, other folks take the assignment to creative new levels.

It's a great way to keep your chops up, learn new tunes quickly, and the folks are generally really supportive. I'd recommend anyone here to join--I've been doing it for about 4 years, and it's really taught me how to get inside a song quickly.
    I'll take a look and scope out the learning curve; i get intimidated easily (musically at least)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I'll have a go.
    That’s great! If someone told me I was listening to a laid back Kenny Burrell I might have believed them.

User Info Menu

Thanks Kirk, yes KB is definitely an influence!