Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Attachment 58413
    I think most of this has to do with feeling the music, the swing of it, then the phrases come naturally. I know if one consciously tries to make it happen it doesn't get very far.
    Phrases come naturally... yes. But connection with the instrument and expressions through the instrument require practice. At least for me...

what it comes down to is improvising is f***ing ridiculously hard.
    White belt
    My Youtube

I think you need a certain kind of brain to do lead. Some people, if they're musically inclined, have got it, others not. But they're usually good at other things, often better than lead players.

I was probably a nicer person when I only played and sang. But I probably enjoy the challenge of making notes fit. Can't have everything, I guess.

I think you need a certain kind of brain to do lead. Some people, if they're musically inclined, have got it, others not..
    White belt
    My Youtube

When it comes down to it playing a melody well from start to finish is ****ing hard too

Or is it just me?

Putting my bebop licks over a tune.... easy (after lots of practice) Not really music though, but it gets me through the gig.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    When it comes down to it playing a melody well from start to finish is ****ing hard too

Or is it just me?
    No, I think it's very hard to do well convincingly on the guitar. The guitar's defaults seem to be "dull and boring" or "completely overwrought fake emotional drivel."

When you hear someone who can really do it well, it stands out. I tell people to listen to a lot of Willie Nelson.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    No, I think it's very hard to do well convincingly on the guitar. The guitar's defaults seem to be "dull and boring" or "completely overwrought fake emotional drivel."
    I've never heard it put better lol

Damn you guitar, why can't I quit you?

When you hear someone who can really do it well, it stands out. I tell people to listen to a lot of Willie Nelson.
    Willie Nelson’s solos have rarely grabbed me, but I think it’s great advice to listen to and emulate players who are able to make compelling performances without straying too far from the melody. John Knowles comes to mind.

I’ve sometimes considered trying to reinvent my playing by pretending chords don’t exist for a while and just focus on learning to play melodies in as lyrical and compelling way possible. I’d start with simple familiar melodies and make sure I can nail them and make them beautiful before progressing to more complex melodies and improvisation.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
    Willie Nelson’s solos have rarely grabbed me, but I think it’s great advice to listen to and emulate players who are able to make compelling performances without straying too far from the melody. John Knowles comes to mind.

I’ve sometimes considered trying to reinvent my playing by pretending chords don’t exist for a while and just focus on learning to play melodies in as lyrical and compelling way possible. I’d start with simple familiar melodies and make sure I can nail them and make them beautiful before progressing to more complex melodies and improvisation.
    Lovely player, this guy. New to me...I'll be checking out a lot more.

As for Willie, heck, a lot of the his solos would pretty much just BE the melody...but he plays melody in such a convincing way, it never feels redundant to me...Willie plays just like he sings, totally respectful of the tune, with just a bit of artistic license, and I truly don't think he ever played a tune he didn't feel connected to. Willie don't phone it in.

I'm a Willie fan though...I think he's a national treasure.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

To be fair, Willie also played a lot of crap. But when he nailed it I'd say that was because of him, not the guitar playing. It was the kind of person he was coming through much more than studious technique and all that. In fact, he didn't have too much studious technique.

He was the 'what you see is what you get' type of person. And there was also a bit of 'and if you don't like it you can lump it' in there too. And that's actually quite attractive to people :-)

December 2018 - Don't Blame Me

Lovely player, this guy. New to me...I'll be checking out a lot more.
    John Knowles and Tommy Emmanuel will release a duo CD soon. I think they’ll do some touring next year.

John started doing arrangements for Chet Atkins in the 1970’s. Here’s an interesting two hour interview.
    John Knowles Interview - Chet Atkins first Certified Guitar Player - Everyone Loves Guitar - Everyone Loves Guitar

Don't Blame Me?

A solo version by Peter Bernstein:

Damn! I saw that earlier, Graham, and forgot to post it

Extreme maybe but not bad

I've got a carpet like that. £6 from Sainsbury's :-)

He must like this tune, he did it on his solo record as well (Live at Smalls).

I've got a carpet like that. £6 from Sainsbury's :-)
    That's a very good deal. I like that carpet.

Good carpet Pete!

Anyway, just a "read down." I think I'll keep playing this tune, it's bluesy, I like it.

Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed