Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy View Post
    Or eg. Am7 Abm7 Gm7 C7
    Right—When you’re moving through the cycle of fifths you always have the option to do tritone subs, change minor-7ths to dominants, etc. ...As long as your bandmates are on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster View Post
    I know I say it every time you post something, but I love the single note tone you're getting!
    Thanks! As far as I know it’s largely down to picking technique, i.e. picking near the fingerboard and angling the pick so it doesn’t hit the string ‘flat side on’. On the 175 there’s a sort of convenient gap between the neck pickup and the fingerboard, I tend to pick there.

Of course having a 175 doesn’t hurt but I don’t think the guitar is as important as people think. A couple of times I’ve let other jazz players play my guitar and they sounded nothing like me.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
    Right—When you’re moving through the cycle of fifths you always have the option to do tritone subs, change minor-7ths to dominants, etc. ...As long as your bandmates are on the same page.
    Yeah, it's something I would infer when on bass stepping from a semitone above and possibly use a Gb under the C7. Wouldn't bother with explaining it to the others but always get a knowing grin from the guitarist who would invariably be doing something similar.

It's gone quiet again so here's something in C.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed