The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 60

User Info Menu

So, we've had my daughter's birthday (9/28) and her engagement party (9/29), visiting family members just left, I still haven't finished my take on last month's practical standard (Laura) ...

Life, right?

Anyway, our standard for Oct 2018 will be Lush Life (Billy Strayhorn, 1933-1949).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Lush Life)

Very interesting digging into the background, here. Hard to believe the lyrics and such melodic and harmonic devices were originally crafted (or at least begun) by a 16-year old.

If you're checking YouTube, be sure to view Billy himself playing this, and the Strayhorn/Kay Davis version from a Duke Ellington concert. An unexpected surprise: Check the Queen Latifah recording (I'm serious!).

Maybe not such a great vehicle for improvisation, but I am enjoying studying this one.

Also, start practicing -- Cherokee is coming!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is probably the definitive version, straight from the horse's mouth.

I must say I have my reservations about this song. Frankly, without the lyrics it's a pretty bland tune, especially the last two sections and especially the last one.

It doesn't surprise me that he wrote it when he was sixteen. It's very intense, there are too many chords, rather oddly organised, and the notes at the end are haphazard and clustered too closely together.

It's far better as a song than an instrumental. In this Strayhorn version at least he's got the audience smiling along with him, there's some humour in it. And, let's face it, it needs humour otherwise it's about a descent into self-pitying debauchery... sorry!

Coltrane did his best with it and that's something at least.

User Info Menu

Ha, Cherokee!
    Then i am afraid i ll drop Lush Life for this month, a bit out of my whatever zone.

By the way, i once heard Frank Sinatra on the radio, getting lost in this song.

Hans

This tune is a singer's dream. Ella' s version is one of her best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    This tune is a singer's dream.
    I've heard it described as a singer's nightmare! Have you tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I've heard it described as a singer's nightmare! Have you tried it?
    Yeah . Like stardust, it's pretty difficult to sing away from the instrument.

But it really is a vocal tune. The diction itself is really beautiful, beyond the lyric meaning or rhyming etc. Pure genius regardless, but at 16?

User Info Menu

And now for something completely different...

User Info Menu

Jim Cohen, You play really well. I really enjoyed it.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Gramps.

User Info Menu

Jazz on the pedal steel sounds great, it reminds me of a record I have by Lenny Breau and Buddy Emmons.

I wondered why there are 2 necks so I just looked it up, it sounds very complicated!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Jazz on the pedal steel sounds great, it reminds me of a record I have by Lenny Breau and Buddy Emmons.
    I was fortunate that Buddy Emmons was one of my teachers (not that I'm fit to carry his case). He passed a few years ago. Miss that guy.

(We now return you to your regularly-scheduled program...)
    Last edited by jasaco; 10-06-2018 at 02:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey, I didn't mean to kill the thread...

User Info Menu

Here's another take on Lush Life from Phineas Newborn! While it's played on piano, Mr Newborn adds so many creative twists and turns that I'm certainly hearing some cool new ideas. Plus, he plays Ravel in the intro. Hope you enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    Hey, I didn't mean to kill the thread...
    It wasn't you. the Practical Standards threads have been on life support all summer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    ... the Practical Standards threads have been on life support all summer.
    Hmm, maybe ... Should I start calling out the folks that opine but don't post any music?

(I know you've posted some audio before, Gramps. That's not necessarily directed at you.)

User Info Menu

No reflection on anyone especially you M-ster. Maybe it's the busy summer season, I don't know.

There was a while when the Practical Standards posts were the hot thread in the forum from my perspective. (I think it corresponded with the winter months but could be wrong)

I just didn't want Jasaco to think that his steel guitar renditions had any effect on the posts.

Lush life is really an "arrangement" tune in my opinion. Probably going to end up being more of a solo guitar vehicle than anything. I got a couple of decent "almost" takes the other night , but I need to get it past "almost".

User Info Menu

I can't get a handle on it at all solo-wise. I've done several versions already (you know me) and binned all of them.

I think you're right, solo guitar is maybe the best way. If one can get it sorted.

I might just take the tune, reharmonise it, and play it as a ballad. Dammit, something's got to give!

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    And now for something completely different...
    Great stuff. Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

... I might just take the tune, reharmonise it, and play it as a ballad.
    Er ... it *is* a ballad, isn't it?

User Info Menu

Well, sort of, isn't it? It's sort of in two or three sections with different feels to them... I thought I'd just simplify the chords and lump the whole thing together and bang it out.

Like I said, I've already done it a few times (normally) and can't make the solo work. Playing the tune's okay but... I'm not even sure the pros do a very good job with it. I find myself drifting off.

Perhaps I need to be sixteen, gay, and given to frequenting adult sad-sack dives

User Info Menu

i don't think you killed the thread, Mr. Cohen...
    but you certainly raised the bar, at least for me.
    Thank you for sharing that.
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 10-14-2018 at 11:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    This tune is a singer's dream. Ella' s version is one of her best.
    Indeed ! I have Ella and also a superb version by Sarah Vaughan. As an instrumental , I labored over the Joe Pass version (from Virtuoso 4) even with the help of a transcription from the now defunct , Guitar 1 magazine !
    I saw it as a challenge and managed to its completion , but allow a week to pass and it's back to the drawing board !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplrfla
    Indeed !
    It's probably only a dream when it's been mastered* and we hear it on a good recording. Getting there might be more difficult.

Frank Sinatra tried to record it and gave up. True :-)

* I mean by the singer, not a master recording.

It's probably only a dream when it's been mastered* and we hear it on a good recording. Getting there might be more difficult.

Frank Sinatra tried to record it and gave up. True :-)

* I mean by the singer, not a master recording.
    Right. Unlike, every OTHER song which sounds great when recorded in a crap way. Only THIS one requires being played well...