Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 74 of 74
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I have favorite chord patterns... don't really just play single chords....
    X X 5 6 6 8
    X X 5 6 6 5
    5 X 5 6 6 X
    X 5 4 4 5 X
    Ha! "From jazz and cocktails"!

:-)

Lush Life...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cocktail sounds good...hey look, bourbon!
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Having already done multiple versions, I can tell you all one thing.

Don't do it too slow. Much easier to play, naturally, but it drags if it's too slow. Take heed from the Strayhorn version. It needs some push behind it.

Only my view, of course

User Info Menu

And while you're doing this here's a vocal, seeing as how it needs words. But not necessarily as I'm sure you'll demonstrate...

(If some notes wobble it's because having to hunch over a computer isn't ideal but we'll survive!)

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    And while you're doing this here's a vocal, seeing as how it needs words. But not necessarily as I'm sure you'll demonstrate...

(If some notes wobble it's because having to hunch over a computer isn't ideal but we'll survive!)

Love this!

Especially the end..."Oh, Lord"... :-)

Tough tune, but a good one. Comments and criticisms welcome.

Same video, but I re-uploaded to try to fix the low-volume audio. Should be better. Sorry.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 10-25-2018 at 08:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Boing! Good shot, Matt. Not easy, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Boing! Good shot, Matt. Not easy, is it?
    Never easy, but I've always loved trying to play through on this one. My wife and I both really enjoyed your vocal version by the way. Love that accent. Probably enjoyed that one as much as anything you've posted.

I think my favorite aspect is your transparency with momentary frustrations in the tune. Those sighs and vocal utterances keep it fresh and somehow fit the character of the tune really well. Thanks for posting.

Vocal version might be fun. I can probably cover comping forsinger in a basic way on this one, and I could probably cover the singing part. I'd definitely needed to practice more for both at the same time in lush life though. Maybe have to bring one of the girls in if there's time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster View Post
    Great as always M-ster. Is this all M-ster-original backing?

Really unique treatment on a tune that is widely-regarded as difficult to rearrange.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco View Post
    And now for something completely different...
    Very cool, jasaco. Thanks for posting that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    There is my version with vocal/Dorota/.
    It was recorded 11 years ago...:-)
    Nice, Kris!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher View Post
    Great as always M-ster. Is this all M-ster-original backing?

Really unique treatment on a tune that is widely-regarded as difficult to rearrange.
    Thanks, Matt. Yes, the backing is me and my trusty PC. Not much of a rearrangement - I took most of my cues from the original Strayhan recording.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your comments, Matt. The 'interruptions' were quite deliberate because otherwise I might have to shoot myself... it's really quite an introverted piece lyrically.

Ah yes, the accent. Do you know I've only ever sung American stuff? I can't sing 'Brit', it doesn't work. Strange.

Do try a vocal too, that would definitely be fun :-)

User Info Menu

Thanks, Matt. Yes, the backing is me and my trusty PC. Not much of a rearrangement - I took most of my cues from the original Strayhan recording.
    Yes, clever backing... you've got that piano down well and it all suits. The improv's good too. Your note/scale choices are always just right. You must share your secrets sometime!

User Info Menu

Hi M-ster,

Great playing!
    What guitar are you using?
    It sounds really good.

Hans

User Info Menu

Hi M-ster,
    Nice and interesting guitar plus midi take.
    I like your jazz guitar feel and sound.
    Best
    kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hatim View Post
    ... What guitar are you using? It sounds really good.
    Thank you, Hans. It's a modest Mexi Tele Standard that I bought recently. The forum inspired me to finally try/buy one. I never owned a Tele before.

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    Hi M-ster,
    Nice and interesting guitar plus midi take.
    I like your jazz guitar feel and sound.
    Best
    kris
    Thanks, Kris. I need to get closer to your jazz Tele sound!

User Info Menu

Queen Latifah did a superb version of "lushlife" in the film 'Living Out Loud' with Holly Hunter and Danny Devito over 20 years ago. Great film, btw

When I got pretty good I went on the road with a group - We starved - Wes Montgomery

User Info Menu

Wow! M-ster! I'm very impressed. Great arranging and nice "lush" jazz piano chords too! You're some multi-instrumentalist! Love the recording too!
    When I got pretty good I went on the road with a group - We starved - Wes Montgomery

User Info Menu

Thanks, 2b. Funny about Queen Latifah -- I wasn't aware of the recording till I found it on YouTube. And I mentioned it in this thread's initial post: "Check the Queen Latifah recording (I'm serious!)."

She did a nice job, didn't she?

User Info Menu

Thanks, 2b. Funny about Queen Latifah -- I wasn't aware of the recording till I found it on YouTube. And I mentioned it in this thread's initial post: "Check the Queen Latifah recording (I'm serious!)."

She did a nice job, didn't she?
    She truly has the chops, and what a great modern arrangement! 10 time Grammy nominee, 5 time Grammy winner Mervyn Warren did the arranging on 'living out loud'.

But the film has been one of the favorites in my dvd collection since discovering it in '98. 2 thumbs up from me! Same for your arrangement too - Mighty impressive piano work too...I didn't know you played!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    ... Mighty impressive piano work too...I didn't know you played!
    Ha! Thank you. Actually, I only play well enough to get some notes into the PC, where I am fairly talented with MIDI.

(I'm still trying to play guitar!)

User Info Menu

Well, anyone selecting Lush Life as a guitar lesson of the month deserves special recognition!