Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Our standard for Sep 2018 will be Laura (David Raksin, Johnny Mercer, 1945).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Laura)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

one of my top five for sure— look forward to watching this thread (i don’t think i’ll be able to submit though)
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Let's kick this off...I just recently did it in two keys...

My favorite standard, I think...

Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Jeff, how do you do that?
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

I'll tell you. Some people are classical, some people are folk, others are blues, country... and some are jazz. Jeff is jazz. That's how he does it.
    Last edited by ragman1; 09-04-2018 at 06:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    I'll tell you. Some people are classical, some people are folk, others are blues, country... and some are jazz. Jeff is jazz. That's how he does it.

And I wouldn't even hope to presume...
    I am classical,I am folk,I am blues... and I love jazz!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    Jeff, how do you do that?
    The modulation?
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

User Info Menu

His comment might just have been rhetorical...
    Last edited by ragman1; 09-04-2018 at 06:05 AM.

User Info Menu

oh i dunno, it was probably mostly rhetorical. i guess it was regarding the apparent effortlessness that’s always in your playing
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

i guess it was regarding the apparent effortlessness that’s always in your playing
    Thank you! Oh, you meant Jeff...

Only joking. I know, he's embarrassingly good. I wouldn't mind if he did tell us 'how he did it'. He'd probably just say play the tune with some chords and fills - but it's how you do it, of course. Point is, he has a natural understanding of the jazz idiom. Personally, I think that's something one has or doesn't have. In that respect I admit to being a complete imposter. But I can do other stuff...

The grass is always greener

User Info Menu

true! in fact, i think it was the great sony rollins who said something like, and i’m just paraphrasing here, “i would trade it all in if i could peel a mango as fast as joe2758 and take ct scans.”

edit: sorry i get sarcastic when im depressed
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Thank you! Oh, you meant Jeff...

Only joking. I know, he's embarrassingly good. I wouldn't mind if he did tell us 'how he did it'. He'd probably just say play the tune with some chords and fills - but it's how you do it, of course. Point is, he has a natural understanding of the jazz idiom. Personally, I think that's something one has or doesn't have. In that respect I admit to being a complete imposter. But I can do other stuff...

Well, now I'm blushing and all...

So really, "how I do it," is play the damn song hundreds of times...I also make it a point to learn the melody of a tune and the harmony separate, AND together...together, even if I'll never really play it like that.

I post a lot of off the cuff stuff where I look a lot less comfortable, I think

But a tune like Laura, that I like so much...It's probably not an exaggeration to say I've played it a thousand times...and I still don't feel like I completely own it...I still find new things in it, especially like here, when I did the key change...songs take on a whole new character when you change key.

But thanks for the warm fuzzies...but remember, I'm also just a dude who plays in his living room most of the time for the audience of a 4 year old and 6 year old and a dog. So to hear people are enjoying what I'm playing, well, that's just really cool. So thanks.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I still find new things in it, especially like here, when I did the key change...songs take on a whole new character when you change key.
    I guess to sum up what I'm envious of, Jeff, is that it seems you can come up with new stuff while you're playing through the tune in real time. I can come up with ideas, and even ideas I really like, but it's like "okay well stop everything and let me figure out how to do this. Okay now I'll practice it like a classical musician so I can physically play it in time." Your way of playing and discovering must be more enjoyable.
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Well, now I'm blushing and all...
    Well, you have two groupies now...

But the thing is, like I said, it's the authentic jazz 'feel' that you end up with. That's the point. I know it when I hear it but I don't hear it first, if you see what I mean. It's not in the head. Don't say 'listen to lots of stuff', I already do (not in order to copy, though).

I think those guys' brains are different from mine; yours is too, probably.

I'm a great believer in brains, you know

User Info Menu

Let's kick this off...I just recently did it in two keys...

My favorite standard, I think...
    Wow. I’m so glad to know Jim Hall is still with us. Seriously the whole first half kept making me wonder if you sound like him, or maybe he sounds like you!

Superb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

anways heres mine from around the same time jeff did that one in case anyone was intimidated to follow that haha

White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

My favorite take:

User Info Menu

i am lo fi...

User Info Menu

i will probably have another go at this before the month is out, but here's a slightly straighter attempt
    from about 3 years ago, just for the sake of comparison:

User Info Menu

they all sound nice, black dog. good work
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

I also did this in the chord-melody study group. My take was a bit on the lugubrious side, and I think I prefer others' more uptempo approaches. I don't know the tune all that well, and feel like I should take another (different) crack at it.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    . My take was a bit on the lugubrious side
    one man's lugubrious is another man's opposite of whatever that means
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Very nice version:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

i like to reduce it to bare bones and then overcomplicate it myself
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

anways heres mine from around the same time jeff did that one in case anyone was intimidated to follow that haha

I like all the movement you're adding under the melody...cool.

My critique would be that sometimes it seems you're searching for a clever chord to harmonize things with instead of allowing the melody to do its thing.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir View Post
    i will probably have another go at this before the month is out, but here's a slightly straighter attempt
    from about 3 years ago, just for the sake of comparison:
    I I ike the straight rhythm...it's like smoth jazz, but actually jazz nice relaxed playing.

(I quoted the wrong part of your post, but I dig the solo version too)
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    I also did this in the chord-melody study group. My take was a bit on the lugubrious side, and I think I prefer others' more uptempo approaches. I don't know the tune all that well, and feel like I should take another (different) crack at it.

John
    Nice space and pacing...and some nice crunchy choices in the harmony.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

I like all the movement you're adding under the melody...cool.

My critique would be that sometimes it seems you're searching for a clever chord to harmonize things with instead of allowing the melody to do its thing.
    but clever harmony is all i have left! lol

yeah you’re right thanks man
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

I've been playing around with other approaches, and am liking it a bit faster. I still need to hold the tempo, stop clicking the pup with the pick, and not hide imploded endings with fade-outs, but am getting there

So is the idea behind this group (i.e., showing progress with a tune)?

John

User Info Menu

Here is mine.
    I got lost in the 2nd half of the solo.
    And I find it really difficult to play an arrangment on a Stratocaster, the chords are so much louder than single notes. But anyway, here's my noodling.

Hans

User Info Menu

Hatim -

I really liked that! I wasn't sure about the rhythm at first then, after about a minute, I got into it. Pretty groovy! Great playing and the very occasional hesitations in the 2nd solo don't matter one bit. It was good.

If I have one thing, can you remix it so the background's a bit louder? That's all. Apart from that it's foot-tappin' luvly

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir View Post
    i am lo fi...
    Ha! Laura Lofi ... loved it.