The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Our standard for Jul 2018 will be Fats Waller's Ain't Misbehavin' (1929).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Ain't Misbehavin')

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great stuff as always. Man, you always have the best tone. Congrats.

Gonna have to learn this one this month. Great old tune.

User Info Menu

While you're at it, anyone of you native speakers care to explain me this part of the lyrics I never understood:

"I'm happy on the shelf."

I mean, I understand it of course, it just doesn't make sense to me. Is this kind of an idiomatic expression? Or is it just for the rhyme?

User Info Menu

Well, ain't this a fun one...here's my first dip, just learning it...this is one to keep short and stay close to the melody overall, I think. It's just old fashioned, and there's nothing wrong with that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well, ain't this a fun one...here's my first dip, just learning it...this is one to keep short and stay close to the melody overall, I think. It's just old fashioned, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    Nice extended ending :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Love this tune, couldn't miss it! Here's my vanilla-ish take, I gotta figure out how to spice it up yet.
    Nice. Great to hear someone doing their own backing. I always think it sounds much better (personally)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Nice. Great to hear someone doing their own backing. I always think it sounds much better (personally)
    Thanks! Yea, more fun this way!

User Info Menu

Here is mine.
    Not really the most shocking version, but sort of ok.

Hans

User Info Menu

Most people play this tune with lots of diminished chords, but it seems like Fats Waller usually played most of the tune without them, maybe adding a few when soloing to spice things up. Not that there’s anything wrong with the versions with diminished chords, but I wanted to start with something close to what the composer had in mind.
    I attempted to transcribe the chords from a Fats recording in Eb, the one where he first informs the audience he’s paid his alimony July 2018 - Ain't Misbehavin'. Here’s what I ended up with, but transposed to C:

Note that the E7#5 can be changed to C7#5.
    Also, the first four measures of the bridge can be changed to:
    Am Am#5 Am6 A7.
    Here’s my take, warts and all.

For those that consider this an old fashioned tune, check out Andre Previn and Joe Pass versions on youtube.
    Last edited by KirkP; 07-08-2018 at 09:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    sounds good, crab ragoon. Have you considered doing a solo version? not sure if anyone told you, but they are always very enjoyable
    I think someone mentioned it once... but, you know, since I lost my mind it's been very difficult...

User Info Menu

I have no time to record my version... but I like this tune very much and I've played it many times about 40 years ago and I still remember chord changes...Louis Armstrong's take is my favorite.I prefer Armstrong/s tempo and feel.
    Good luck with your takes.
    Best
    kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    I attempted to transcribe the chords from a Fats recording in Eb, the one where he first informs the audience he’s paid his alimony July 2018 - Ain't Misbehavin'. Here’s what I ended up with, but transposed to C:
    OFF TOPIC Question

Sorry but can I just ask quickly how you made this chart? I need something to make chords-only sheets in a very fast but also very good to read way like yours. I'd be thankful for a short reply.

To all others: SORRY again for off topic!

User Info Menu

What a feast. Enjoyed every single recording I heard. I'm in awe of you guys. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    OFF TOPIC Question

Sorry but can I just ask quickly how you made this chart? I need something to make chords-only sheets in a very fast but also very good to read way like yours. I'd be thankful for a short reply.

To all others: SORRY again for off topic!
    iReal Pro. I have the IOS version, but there’s also an Android version. No Windows version. I use it constantly for study, jams, backing tracks (usually muting the awful comping channel — the bass and light rhythm is usually all I want), and some casual gigs. There’s a learning curve to editing, but the author has many good tutorials. It syncs between devices, so when I edit a tune on my iPad it’s on my iPhone too. I’ve been known to read chords from my iPhone in a jam.
    You’ll probably find some threads about iReal on this forum, but if you have any other questions feel free to start a new thread.

User Info Menu

iReal Pro. I have the IOS version, but there’s also an Android version.

Thanks. I've been using this for ages but never bothered looking for an export function, but here we go, it is there...

Actually, I was looking exactly for that, a way to send someone just the changes so they can read it from their phone on sessions et cetera... glad I found it with your help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    Actually, I was looking exactly for that, a way to send someone just the changes so they can read it from their phone on sessions et cetera... glad I found it with your help.
    I usually just take a screen print if I want to sent someone an iReal chart in a hurry. That’s what I did here. I think the export function gives you a pdf, which would be more difficult to post here.

User Info Menu

...snip ... I think the export function gives you a pdf, which would be more difficult to post here.
    You can export it as JPG as well.

User Info Menu

Sporadic lurker here. I have wanted to try posting but get stuck in details frequently... oh yeah ....what's my username pass word etc... how do I upload ... blah blah blah I end up losing steam

anyways here is a version... no I didn't read any rules for this territory so if I have committed a forum sin in some way I offer my apologies in advance.

I like this tune. I don't like the way I slip in and out of different feels and the tendency to speed up

anyways kind of happy to MAYBE have gotten through my perceived internet hurdles... we shall see
    Peace
    Bill former ( known as Willythepicker from RMMGJ days)
    Last edited by Bill Godwin; 07-20-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: mispell words

User Info Menu

Most people play this tune with lots of diminished chords, but it seems like Fats Waller usually played most of the tune without them, maybe adding a few when soloing to spice things up. Not that there’s anything wrong with the versions with diminished chords, but I wanted to start with something close to what the composer had in mind.

Note that the E7#5 can be changed to C7#5.
    Also, the first four measures of the bridge can be changed to:
    Am Am#5 Am6 A7.
    Here’s my take, warts and all.

For those that consider this an old fashioned tune, check out Andre Previn and Joe Pass versions on youtube.
    I think some versions are more like C C7 | F Fm6 in bar 4, too.

I tend to default to the dim version, but the early guys always give me dirty looks lol.

User Info Menu

Here's a trad version, still learning a new instrument though... After listening back, I gotta chill on the pinky man, it does some annoying stuff I dont notice while playing lol

User Info Menu

i'm late, and i think i got lost on my way to the party...
    but i'll try to post this meandering madness anyhow.