Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

June 2018 - Sophisticated Lady

Kicking this off a tad early ...

Our standard for Jun 2018 will be Duke Ellington's Sophisticated Lady (1933 - lyrics by Irving Mills and Mitchell Parish).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Sophisticated Lady)

I cheated and looked ahead ... So, I'm in early for a change.

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...0lady%2000.mp3

M-ster always has an impressive interpretation of the Practical Standard but I have to say that his is the very best at this time.

Ok, now we have a contender.

excellent!

I agree with Gramps. Mster has again prov!ided an excellent version with his beautiful chord melody!

wiz
    Howie

good job, Ragman

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Very nice, guitaristic version, Ragman. I like your version.

wiz
    Howie

Oh, being a jazz genius isn't so great

(It was only the tune, as you may have noticed. I did some soloing and found it's not easy. Whatever I did, and I tried quite a few things, just sounded like I was noodling, don't ask me why. I hope others try it, it would be interesting)

Ok, I've analysed this tune a little more, solo-wise. Where I was going wrong was that I was basically playing the harmony of the chords as written rather than the melody. It's not actually based on, for example, the Bbm sound but on Fm. Most of this tune revolves round the 5th, which is quite interesting. Now it sounds more like a solo rather than a noodle even if it does drone on a bit!

I only put this up in case others are interested.

Here's a very basic chord-melody take, based on an arrangement I learned years ago that was done by Steve Crowell, whose CM arrangements are my favorites. Always something fresh in them to learn.

- Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    I am waiting for Ragaman new take...
    Kris, you’ve been trolling ragman for months. I’m not sure how the problem started, but can you just forget it and stop?
    White belt
    My Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    Kris, you’ve been trolling ragman for months. I’m not sure how the problem started, but can you just forget it and stop?
    there are two parties involved in that. In balance, I think kris has been pretty gracious and optimistic over these months, In the face of some pretty deliberate antagonism.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

alright i’m sure I haven’t seen it all, most of what i’ve seen is Kris randomly making snarky comments about rags.

Kris, I don’t believe your comment was because you wanted to see him progress.
    White belt
    My Youtube

sorry all, bullying is a huge trigger point for me and that’s what it looked like. I know ragman has pushed buttons, but no need to keep chipping away at him out of context
    White belt
    My Youtube

Knock it off, your comment was faceitious.
    White belt
    My Youtube

Remember that English isn't everyone's first language either. It's easy to read too much between the lines which can be explained more by simple communication issues.

Kris is a real jazz player. He's direct but, for the most part, gracious, helpful etc. As you say, there's some water under the bridge with rags, but each owns his part of that.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    anyway I do now want to paricipate in this thread anymore!!!!
    It looks like Kris might not be the only one who has dropped out of this thread. There are fewer contributions every month. After my last posts I decided to give it a rest.

Maybe things will change but I'm back to lurking in the background.

I keep intending to post to this thread and the solo guitar one, but never seem to have enough time at the weekend to do it. I generally do work out a rough version but I’m usually not satisfied with it.

On top of that the wife has just fractured a finger playing tennis and has become useless, so now I am multitasking, it’s terrible!

I would be game, but I haven’t loved the tunes lately. I’ll play any tune, but the last two in “solo guitar” are my favorite songs (really no time for both)
    White belt
    My Youtube

I'm not really doing much either because, to be honest, I'm finding this one a bit boring. Maybe I'm not good enough to make it sound good or invent something, but I don't know. I can usually pull something out the bag.

The last tune, like I said before, I thought was great, it had so much in it. But this one I think has to be quite slow, maybe up to a med bounce, but not quick. It's not good as a waltz, hopeless as a bossa, etc. I've tried all this but it's not really working. I've got a couple of things but I don't think they're good enough to post. I've done what I wanted to do with it, really.

Also, of course, I can sense the lack of activity here, which is a shame. But I certainly didn't want to be the only one trying it so there's nothing much to bounce off. I haven't felt inspired much, to be honest. I also think we're more active here in the winter months, but I could be wrong.

The one thing I haven't tried so far is doing it as a solo but, as I say, there's been no impetus. So, sorry about that. If you must have something in the usual vein here it is, but don't say I didn't warn you :-)

Yes, I know it's weird, it's supposed to be weird. Look on it as going on a strange unknown journey and then coming home again :-)

This is one of those tunes where the melody on it's own almost...doesn't work. It really needs the harmony...it's a tune for a big group, really. As a guitar player, you almost have to do it as a "chord melody." At a bare minimum those descending chromaticy lines...

If you go about it like M-Ster or Lawson did, it works (and their version work well, nice job both!)
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action?"

--Adam West, as Batman, 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster View Post
    I cheated and looked ahead ... So, I'm in early for a change.
    That’s really nice — pianistic.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    This is one of those tunes where the melody on it's own almost...doesn't work. It really needs the harmony...it's a tune for a big group, really. As a guitar player, you almost have to do it as a "chord melody." At a bare minimum those descending chromaticy lines...
    Absolutely, that's what I found, but I had to give it a go the usual way. Some sort of CM will doubtless manifest itself at some point :-)

ya know ragman, I always find chord melody to be one of your major strengths
    White belt
    My Youtube

I KNOW, that's what they all say! I don't get it, I just make 'em up as I go along! And then I don't know what I did!

I need help!

I thought before I venture into CM territory I'd do a simple diatonic/chord tone version (in case anyone thinks I've lost the plot and can't do diatonic any more :-)) Probably most of you might prefer this to the weird stuff.

Not discounting anyone else's interpretation, but I see this tune more as a melancholy ballad. I'm considering the lyrics, of course. Just throwing that in to the discussion.

On YouTube, I enjoyed Melissa Manchester's televised performance. A bit staged and therefore somewhat "hokey," but she did include Stan Getz as the musical interlude.

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster View Post
    a melancholy ballad.
    It is certainly a melancholy ballad, no question, just as 'Love For Sale' was what that was about. But there are more upbeat versions. I mean, you should hear Chick Corea's band playing it! But even they start slow.

Personally, I did two slow ones and only altered the tempo to make something more out of the tune. But the CM will be slow. It needs it on those descending dominants.

Here's the CM, not my favorite thing but anyway. I've done it in F because I find Ab a bit high.

Slow and melancholy, also in F, which I like. Why is nobody bothering with these standards?

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed