Posts 251 to 275 of 300

User Info Menu

Frank Zappa Grand Wazoo
    Mike Stern
    John Scofield
    Allan Holdsworth with Soft Machine

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My single favorite is Glad to Be Unhappy. Paul Desmond is the leader. Jim Hall, bass and drums. It is a master class in comping and taste.

Guitar Forms by Kenny Burrell

Wes, Live at the Half Note

User Info Menu

So many great albums I have gone thru phases listening to, but one album I have been listening to since I first got into Jazz and keep listen to tracks today. So I'll say Pat Martino Consciousness.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    My single favorite is Glad to Be Unhappy. Paul Desmond is the leader. Jim Hall. It is a master class in comping and taste.
    I like Desmond's work w/Ed Bickert very much as well.

User Info Menu

• Grant Green - Matador
    • Grant Green - Idle Moments
    • Wes Montgomery - Smokin' at the Half Note
    • Wes Montgomery - Full House
    • Wes Montgomery - Incredible Jazz Guitar
    • Pat Metheny Group - Still Life Talking
    • Pat Metheny and Jim Hall
    • Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life
    • Pat Martino - Cream
    • Pat Martino - Footprints
    • Pat Martino - Exit
    • John Scofield - A Go Go
    • Kurt Rosenwinkel - Star of Jupiter
    • Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
    • Julian Lage - Sounding Point
    • Julian Lage Group - Gladwell
    • Joe Pass - Joy Spring

My full list is too big. A few of my favorites in no particular order.

User Info Menu

View the final list on the blog: Top 100 Jazz Guitar Albums

User Info Menu

Wow--that's a great place to start.

I'm partial to Wes' Bumpin' because that's the first Wes album I ever got, also like early George Benson--The Other Side of Abbey Road, White Rabbit, and Good King Bad. I have a lot of affection for Breezin', because it hit big when I was in high school--great jazz-funk, though he was moving more in the pop direction. His album Live in LA is very enjoyable--underrated IMO because of the pop/disco influences, but still some smoking guitar and vocal work, and a super tight band.

Jim Hall's Alone Together with Ron Carter is one of my favorites and a type of playing I aspire to. His duo album with Pat Metheny is a nice, understated work as well.

Finally, no jazz guitar collection would be complete without Joe Pass. Start with Virtuosos 1,2 and 3, and then when you've memorized those, move on to his combo work, accompaniment with Ella Fitzgerald, etc.

User Info Menu

Yes I agree, the song Breezin is great because it has easy chords and melody.

User Info Menu

Wes Montgomery- Full House
    Sonny Rollins- The Bridge (Jim Hall on guitar)
    Tal Farlow- The swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow
    Pat Martino- El Hombre
    Jimmy Raney- just about any

User Info Menu

Since most of the big classics have been mentioned, I'll make some more unusual suggestions :

Pat Metheny - Bright size life
    Not straight ahead jazz but an outstanding album nonetheless.

Russell Malone - Black Butterfly
    An excellent bebop album. And the albums he did with Diana Krall are also worth listening to, I especially like the tribute to Nat King Cole.

Emily Remler - Firefly and Take Two
    Again, great bebop albums.

User Info Menu

Tal Farlow - Chromatic Palette

A really fun album is by Ray Brown: "Some of my best friends are...guitarists". The Ray Brown Trio plays with various guitarists on the songs - Kenny Burrel, Herb Ellis, John Pizzarelli, Russel Malone, et cetera.

User Info Menu

Okay,
    So I keep hearing about this Tal Farlow guy, so I decided to pick up one (4) of his albums.... I saw this at amazon and decided it was probably the best bang for the buck.

I am curious if the audio is equal to say buying the individual albums (I assume it must be). Does anyone have any comments about this selection. I hear good things about the swinging guitar album, which alone, was the price of this 4 Cd set...

User Info Menu

To the great stuff above, I'd add:

-some Charlie Christian, to hear where some of these others came from

-some guitar/organ trio stuff, like Wes w/ Jimmy Smith (Dynamic Duo) , Jimmy w/ Eddie McFadden on guitar (Groovin' at Smalls Paradise), Grant Green w/ Larry Young, that sort of thing

-this is one more obscure-a couple of albums by violinist Claude "Fiddler" Williams (Live at J's Vol. 1 &2) which feature a great guitar player named James Chirillo- great, tasteful playing on a great selection of classic tunes

-more Wes-no such thing as too much Wes

User Info Menu

If you can find someone who's got Mosaic box sets, there were a few really nice ones that had enough music to keep you busy for a while. They're all meticulously researched, books for liner notes and will contain everything recorded within a specific scope.
    There was one of
    Complete early Tal Farlow
    Jim Hall with Paul Desmond
    Stan Getz with Jimmy Rainey
    Johnny Smith
    Grant Green with Sonny Clark

and if you can find the Artist Share catalogue, there's
    Jim Hall trio live in Toronto

Oscar Peterson trio did a lot with Herb Ellis, Live at the Stratford Shakespearean Festival is one I like

Although not essential, I've always loved Billy Bean. His Trio record and all trio work with Walter Norris are among my favourites.

Paul Desmond recorded with Ed Bikert. I like all those.

Essential is a tough call, but call these some of my favourites.
    David

User Info Menu

Man those are all great suggestions. I'll add a couple 'newer things in there as well:

Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life, Trio Live,
    John Scofield - A Go Go, What We Do
    Kurt Rosenwinkel - The Next Step
    Bill Frisell - Disfarmer
    Oz Noy (I know he's not REALLY jazz) - Twisted Blues

And then I don't think anyone mentioned The Incredible Jazz Guitar by Wes yet - AMAZING record!

User Info Menu

Another good organ trio record is Jimmy Smith's "Back at the Chicken Shack" with Kenny Burrell. I think this was one of saxophonist Stanley Turrentine's first big dates. (So, actually, it's not an organ trio....)

User Info Menu

All incredible picks. The two albums that totally blew my mind way back in the day were (and still are) 'Watercolors' by Pat Metheny and 'Boss Guitar' by Wes Montgomery. I know everyone talks about Bright Size Life, but I always thought Watercolors was Pat's masterpiece. Incredibly deep album. 'Ice Fire' on that 12 string is just beautiful, and 'Lakes' just smokes. And that 'Dearly Beloved' on Boss Guitar is just.... well.....
    Last edited by BirdSong; 11-01-2014 at 04:47 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

1) I know that Kind of Blue is not a guitar album, but Miles solos inspired me a TON growing up (it was all that space, phrasing and melodic lines that I just couldn't get enough of), and of course everyone else plays incredible on it. So it ALL inspired me to some extent.

2) John Scofield's A Go Go, Time On My Hands and En Route (Live)

3) Tons of Django

4) Pat Metheny's Day Trip

5) The Best of Brother Jack McDuff The Concord Years (2 disc set) has some great guitar on it, but just about everything on those disc inspires both my rhythm or comping and soloing

6) Frank Vignola and Tommy Emmanual's Just Between Frets

7) George Benson's Cookbook

8) Grant Green's The Complete Quartet's with Sonny Clark (I love this 2 disc set... a must have for me)

9) Jimmy Smith's Organ Grinder has some great guitar and great music

10) Jim Hall's playing on Sonny Rollin's The Bridge is just about perfect

...and of course we could just go on and on with this list...

User Info Menu

Joe Pass - Joy Spring.

joe Pass Herb Ellis -Two For The Road

User Info Menu

Hi!

Here is my list of albums you must listen to:

•”Bright Size Life” - Pat Metheny

•”The Wes Montgomery Trio” - Wes Montgomery

•”Live!” - Jim Hall

Edit: For some reason, I realized now that this list only contains trio albums. Maybe it isn’t what you’re looking for, but still all of them are important albums in the history of jazz guitar as a concept.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall Jazz Guitar
    Sonny Rollins The Bridge
    George Benson It's Uptown

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    Hi!

One for the ‘got-it’ list! My favorite Metheny album.

User Info Menu

I would suggest:

Wes Montgomery, Smoking at the Half Note
    Joe Pass, For Django
    Charlie Christian, Jazz Guitar Genius (these tracks are also out under other titles)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    Hi!

Here is my list of albums you must listen to:

•”The Wes Montgomery Trio” - Wes Montgomery

•”Live!” - Jim Hall

Edit: For some reason, I realized now that this list only contains trio albums. Maybe it isn’t what you’re looking for, but still all of them are important albums in the history of jazz guitar as a concept.
    I wonder if it was your subconscious because he asked for three. Had he asked for five maybe you would have gone for quintet?

Great selection. BSL would no doubt also be on any list of mine. I love trios and played in one for a long time.