The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41

User Info Menu

I appear to be slightly delinquent this month, sorry, guys! (Hope you're enjoying your Easter Sunday.)

Our standard for Apr 2018 will be The Way You Look Tonight - by Jerome Kern & Dorothy Fields (1936).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (The Way You Look Tonight)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Playing this song's form, AABA really makes this song seem really long to me. Has anyone been thinking about leaving out the second A part? (Besides me!)

User Info Menu

Well it’s kind of long-form, 68 bars I think rather than the usual 32 or so. A lot of the bebop guys like Sonny Stitt just make up for it by playing it twice as fast!

Jim Hall did a nice version in 3:4.

User Info Menu

LOL. Doing it in 3/4 will make it one beat per measure shorter.

I'll work something out.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I get a little confused re: the form on this. Can anyone share a chart that makes it clear?

User Info Menu

like my chart has an 8 bar coda...but I real pro has a 4 bar coda

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Hey guys, I get a little confused re: the form on this. Can anyone share a chart that makes it clear?
    iReal Pro. That's the version I'm doing unless I hear something I like when people post.

User Info Menu

I'm a fool by the way. The coda in my chart replaces 4 bars and adds four bars, not add 8 bars. All good, I wear my white belt with pride

User Info Menu

68 bars (this is from the ‘old’ real book):
    Attached Images Attached Images April 2018 - The Way You Look Tonight-01ef5c47-6d2b-4078-96e3-d2dec6800a2a-jpg 

User Info Menu

I think the form is 64 bars (4 x 16), and the tag (or CODA) shown in the Real Book page (above), really is a tag and not part of the form.

You can play it how you like, of course.

User Info Menu

Grahambop -

I tried that Real Book lead sheet you posted where they do AbM7-Ao four times in a row. It doesn't really fit the tune so I substituted lines 2 and 4 with Cm7-Bo which I got from the Play Jazz Standards vid. Much better. In case you think the same.

By the way, you know you posted Tenderly from your ‘557 Jazz standards’ fakebook... does it do this tune? I liked the feel of that book.
    Last edited by ragman1; 04-04-2018 at 06:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Anyone heard this? Ridiculous :-)

also brilliant

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    By the way, you know you posted Tenderly from your ‘557 Jazz standards’ fakebook... does it do this tune? I liked the feel of that book.
    Hi ragman, yes, and it's got a good selection of tunes, I like it. You can get the PDF here:

http://valdez.dumarsengraving.com/557JazzStandards.PDF

User Info Menu

Thanks, Graham, terrific. It's a treasure-trove!

(edit)

Yes, they've got A and B dim. Heh heh :-)

User Info Menu

Do any of you like IV-iv like rhythm changes for this?

considering the melody you could do Bb-Bbm6 in bars 11 and 12

Db- Dbm7 in bars whatever in the Ab section?

or plain minor for either

Or I know for some tunes real pros play slightly different things for the solos than they do for the head

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Do any of you like IV-iv like rhythm changes for this?
    Hi Joe -

First thing I thought of when I heard it. I did the BbM7-Bbm6 but not the other one. I better try it :-)

User Info Menu

I'd forgotten I tried the DbM7 (it's in some versions) but thought it wasn't quite right. Too bold or something.

User Info Menu

Another tune I used to play a lot and haven't touched in ages.

Here I am, remembering it...rubato A, time A improvising a bit, B aND last A a bit more improvised...

User Info Menu

Great playing Jeff.

User Info Menu

A really nice arrangement and well-played, Jeff!!

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Another tune I used to play a lot and haven't touched in ages.

Here I am, remembering it...rubato A, time A improvising a bit, B aND last A a bit more improvised...

Beautiful playing... also it almost looks like that there is smoke coming from the back of your guitar in the video

User Info Menu

Speaking of ballsy performances of this tune:

This whole record in general, if for some reason you haven't heard it...run, don't walk.

User Info Menu

jeff I love that take, i’ve been listening to that since they announced this thread. i haven’t heard the whole album though. I stole one of the licks on the head, except I play at like half speed haha

User Info Menu

“when im feeling low (ba de bado bop)” it has become part of the tune for me, like coleman hawkins body and soul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Speaking of ballsy performances of this tune:

This whole record in general, if for some reason you haven't heard it...run, don't walk.

Hi Jeff,
    I can not open the link video in Europe...:-(
    anyway thanks for nice coments...:-)
    Best
    Kris