Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 246

User Info Menu

Ready?

Our standard for Mar 2018 will be Tenderly - by Walter Gross & Jack Lawrence (1946).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Tenderly)

Contrafacts:
    Serene - Eric Dolphy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

another nice slow tempo tune.........

User Info Menu

Uh-oh, Benson. The thread is over!

(And, gawd that's a nice rendition!)
    Last edited by M-ster; 03-02-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Great tune.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Oh, I'll have to dump those 29 exquisite versions of Green Dolphin Street I dashed off last night... okay, lot of rubbish anyway

(Very
    nice sounding guitar Benson's playing. Sounds like a Washburn or a Takemine but it probably isn't.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Oh, I'll have to dump those 29 exquisite versions of Green Dolphin Street I dashed off last night...
    Ha, sorry! I meant to include the explanation that the "Practical Standards" threads have already done Green Dolphin Street (maybe twice?), so we moved on to Tenderly.

Edit: On Green Dolphin Street was just once, in May of 2012.
    Last edited by M-ster; 02-28-2018 at 10:25 PM.

User Info Menu

It's okay, I know, I checked :-)

When I saw you'd posted here I thought 'He's done it already?'

User Info Menu

Thank you M-ster, for another one of my favorite tunes ever! Sarah Vaughn made this one an all -time favorite. This song is one of the first tunes my wife and I learned together.

wiz (Howie)
    Howie

User Info Menu

Is she going to sing it for us? She's not bad at that.

User Info Menu

Nice choice

User Info Menu

Threre is a very energetic take of Bill Evans in 3/4 :

User Info Menu

At my skill level it takes a while to work through new material. OTOH, I get to hear lots of great ideas from others while I learn.

User Info Menu

Here's Joe Pass doing in in an acoustic quartet, at a nice swinging tempo.

- Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

guitarplayerflorida

I don't mind the cold, it's bracing and keeps you keen. I don't think I could stand 80o for very long :-)

User Info Menu

As we're gradually transferring the content of YouTube to here, here's a version I don't care for much! I like the modern players and admire the sounds, but I think it can get overdone and merely become a search for the bizarre, which in turn becomes a bit shallow.

Sorry, Jonathan (great player, normally one my heroes). Mind you, it's very well done :-)

User Info Menu

As we're gradually transferring the content of YouTube to here, here's a version I don't care for much! I like the modern players and admire the sounds, but I think it can get overdone and merely become a search for the bizarre, which in turn becomes a bit shallow.

Sorry, Jonathan (great player, normally one my heroes). Mind you, it's very well done :-)

This is a great solo version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    This is a great solo version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes I like Kreisberg’s version just as much as Johnny Smith’s, can’t see what the problem is. Some of the harmonies are a bit more dissonant or altered from the original changes, so what, sounds great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    can’t see what the problem is.
    I don't think it's a 'problem', it's just a matter of personal taste. Personally, I think the spirit of the tune is sacrificed somewhat to the modern sound on this occasion, that's all. Some tunes it suits, others less so.

User Info Menu

I like one chorus Kreisberg’s version very much.

User Info Menu

My short version with backing track from youtube:
    https://app.box.com/s/zwqo3ewx0skmegduaj5hs0mkcdra7be1

User Info Menu

Here’s mine (solo guitar), normally these things take me ages but I only learned this tune last night!

Here’s mine (solo guitar), normally these things take me ages but I only learned this tune last night!

Nice. Great ending.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher View Post
    Nice. Great ending.

Thanks! Actually I find with these solo things it’s interesting to think about the ending, it’s fun to try and compose something that will sound good.

User Info Menu

Nice Graham. And some great stuff on your soundcloud.

I know you're a busy professional guy, but a resident solo gig a week in a restaurant around Croydon must be on the cards? Why wait until you're officially retired.
    "Really welding was my talent, I think, but I sort of swished it aside." Wes

User Info Menu

Thanks! Who knows, the thought had occurred to me too!

User Info Menu

Here's my version, based on the Chet Atkins arrangement. :-)

Adrian

User Info Menu

Adrian -

That was really nice. You brought out the tune, sounded lovely, great voicings, and it had feeling; you played it like you meant it. Excellent.

(But cut out that flamenco stuff, it doesn't fit at all. Would anyone start playing Misty in the middle of a Malagueña? )

User Info Menu

Adrian -

That was really nice. You brought out the tune, sounded lovely, great voicings, and it had feeling; you played it like you meant it. Excellent.

(But cut out that flamenco stuff, it doesn't fit at all. Would anyone start playing Misty in the middle of a Malagueña? )
    what flamenco?
    two spanish chords...fit perfect this arrange and the style of playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    My short version with backing track from youtube:
    https://app.box.com/s/zwqo3ewx0skmegduaj5hs0mkcdra7be1
    Nice. Where is that backing track from ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks very much! And fair point about the "flamenco" (I assume you're referring to the part where I switch between E and F major chords). In my defense, I took that directly from the Chet Atkins arrangement that I was trying to emulate:

Adrian

User Info Menu

I think ragman was probably just goofing around a bit...

I think the whole thing sounded great, Adrian, really enjoyed it.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Adrianh -

fair point about the "flamenco" (I assume you're referring to the part where I switch between E and F major chords). In my defense, I took that directly from the Chet Atkins arrangement that I was trying to emulate
    Yes, well. I was never that keen on Chet Atkins for some reason so when I saw you were going to play his arrangement my heart sank a little... But you played it with far more urgency and feeling than he did and, as I said, it really works.

As for the flamenco bit, I'd say exactly the same to Chet Atkins, and mean it. He's mixed styles. What on earth do we want a taste of Spain in the middle of Tenderly for? Very odd. But maybe that's why I never took to him. I suspect he thought he was being flash or something, I don't know.

But I don't blame you a bit for copying it, I see why you'd do it. Apart from that, though, that's a very nice little solo piece you've got there. Brilliant!
    Last edited by ragman1; 03-05-2018 at 01:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    No-o-o. When I goof around it's painfully obvious. Like the Honeysuckle Rose reggae version and bendy belly dancers to the tune of Caravan. Subtle, that's me :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post

I think the whole thing sounded great, Adrian, really enjoyed it.
    On second thought, apparently I was wrong on the first part.

Ragman, can't throw a "flamenco" flourish into a solo guitar piece of a romantic standard? Gee whiz, you're stodgy.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A View Post
    Nice. Where is that backing track from ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Jeffery - my favorite windy city daddy jazzer - if you like tarumm, tarumm, ole! in the middle of a tender romantic ballad (or indeed a bit of Moonlight In Vermont in the middle of your Bulerias) who am I to argue?

User Info Menu

Malagueñas isn't flamenco. It's a folkloric style derived from Fandangos, which, also, isn't flamenco.

Also, I didn't hear anything particularly Spanish about his arrangement. I heard some well thought-out harmonic variations with moments of interesting modal colors. I guess it's ok for jazz musicians to use modes from melodic and harmonic mindor, except for Phrygian Dominant?

Finally, it's actually extremely refreshing to hear Flamenco musicians who use inversions, extensions, substitutions, and chromaticism. When I see a flamenco guitarist play a bulerias without a capo (and not in A) I know it's gonna be good. I'd imagine your position is in favor of the genetic purity of the respective styles?

User Info Menu

EDIT: deleted.

Nevermind. Why argue with someone who uses *the title* of a wikipedia article that contradicts him as an argument? My position is from a taxonomy of styles I received verbally from instructors in Spain, and from having been as involved in that music as much as I am involved now in jazz. Rag, I know you enjoy getting a rise out of people. I just wish you'd put some care into your interactions with others, even if you do disagree.

Forum-as-group-therapy? Sheesh.

Someone's first post in a thread is probably not the place to say "don't do that". That's not personal opinion. It's not the same as "I don't care for that". It's not constructive criticism. Opinion is fine at some point, but let a FIRST post breathe a bit , maybe offer something positive first.

This is the kind of thing which stifles participation from others.

User Info Menu

Under no circumstance must anyone have a subjective opinion about anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Under no circumstance must anyone have a subjective opinion about anything.
    That's why I carefully select for myself only those opinions which are objectively true.

User Info Menu

Delicious

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post

Adrian
    Great playing man! That’s a really nice arrangement, very guitaristic. Makes a cool contrast to Graham’s approach.

I'm not doing therapy! This isn't therapeutic at all, it's stupid.

It's not his first post on the forum and not his first musical offering. There's also his YouTube channel with gigging videos.

It wasn't that kind of a 'don't do that', I'm not his authority. It was, exactly, an 'I don't care for that' comment. It was entirely constructive. But if he wants to continue playing it that way, I'm sure he will. He's not a child.

As though he were a nervous, fragile numpty relying on us for support and being told he's wonderful? As though we were the great authorities who knew it all? He's nothing of the kind, as is quite obvious. You do him a disservice!

Rubbish. If I posted something and someone said 'that bit there's not quite right, it might be better played like this' I'd listen and consider it. I wouldn't collapse in a gibbering heap because I was reliant on the support of others, no matter how experienced, and had no mind of my own.

Don't treat people as though they were weak minded! If you treat people that way they'll stay that way - if they ever were in the first place.

As an afterthought, this seems to be the fashion nowadays. When I go to the doctor or dentist, every time they make a move, no matter how slight, they warn me in advance. 'I'm just going to do this, I'm just going to do that' in a sort of pathetic voice. I tell them 'Do me a favour, please just get on with it!'. And you can hear the poor devils relax, breathe easy, and just get on with the job. I suppose they're scared to death of being sued or something.

Modern society!
    Better players, more genial commentators , and all-around more respected and well-liked forum members than myself have stated that they think some of your participation in these threads has stifled the participation of others.

You say you don't care or something and then conversely talk as if you care a great DEAL in other places.

Fine. PICK one. You can't have it both ways.

User Info Menu

I will wait for Ragman's flamenco version of Tenderly...

My understanding , from many years of viewing/participating in practical standards was that it is basically aimed at being largely noncritical, especially when criticism is not asked for.

Beyond whether the individual player is a "big boy" or can take care of himself otherwise, there's the consideration of it basically discouraging other would-be players as well.

Anyway, I think ragman is misinterpreting others' restraint for something else entirely.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 03-06-2018 at 01:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Delicious
    Thanks Christian! I was going to end it with an almighty rasgueado but it’s probably just as well that I didn’t.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post

Adrian
    I really liked that, the harmonics are a nice touch.

As for the Spanish bit, it went by faster than a bull making a pass, it didn’t bother me!

User Info Menu

Hey guys, no offense taken at the "tame the Spanish guitar stuff" comment. I actually agree! :-)

For me, at least, I'm always happy to get constructive criticism on my never-ending journey to becoming a better musician.

Adrian