The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 81

User Info Menu

Btw i really dislike the way Aebersold notates chords.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Btw i really dislike the way Aebersold notates chords.
    Me too. HATE the +.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Me too. HATE the +.
    I hate the way every minor chord is a - and there’s no way to specify just triads.

Those charts will have been responsible for a lot of clams against the melody.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

OK, I used the same backing track as kris did in one of his tracks.

Normally, when I learn a new song I start with changes and melody then work out a chord melody version and then use what I learned to work out some sort of single note ideas.

I believe it was kris, ragman and joe who were discussing playing one arpeggio over a different chord so I tried some of that in this solo.

There are some clams in here and I lost it in the second ending of the solo but this shows where I am with the song at this moment.
    I almost put the line from Isn't She Lovely over the final G-7 C7|F-7 Bb7| but that was just done in another song.

Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Gramps; 03-20-2018 at 07:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me Gramps! I like the vibrato you put on the end of the phrases, it’s easy to forget how effective that can be.

User Info Menu

Gramps -

I thought that was pretty good :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    OK, I used the same backing track as kris did in one of his tracks.

Normally, when I learn a new song I start with changes and melody then work out a chord melody version and then use what I learned to work out some sort of single note ideas.

I believe it was kris, ragman and joe who were discussing playing one arpedio over a different chord so I tried some of that in this solo.

There are some clams in here and I lost it in the second ending of the solo but this shows where I am with the song at this moment.
    I almost put the line from Isn't She Lovely over the final G-7 C7|F-7 Bb7| but that was just done in another song.

Suggestions are welcome.

Hi Gramps,
    You have a great sound-very jazzy hollow sound.
    Nice chord-melody head.
    Your solo-impro is very relaxing-what I like very much.
    Every note is very clear and you know what you play about.
    Congrats.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Suggestions are welcome.
    Keep doing what you are doing!

User Info Menu

Hi Gramps, this is a very nice version with very good sounds and very enjoyable, The chord melody was relaxed with excellent time and good choices for the changes. To me, this version sounded very professional and leaves no need for any changes. Great job and very enjoyable!

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Here is my Tenderly.
    It's a simple version on an old acoustic guitar.

Hans

User Info Menu

Nice, that's got a good feel to it

User Info Menu

Nice, that's got a good feel to it
    Thanks! It is a simple and basic guitar and it invites you to play...simple and basic.

User Info Menu

It's a shame this thread has been deserted for another one showcasing versions of the same tune. I can't really see why, myself, but there we are. At least this thread doesn't begin with an 8" list of rules and regulations :-)

However, Tenderly has one more week to run here and then we'll have the next tune. Doubtless a great relief

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    At least this thread doesn't begin with an 8" list of rules and regulations :-)
    You are a true artist of snobby condescension. Congrats.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

It's a shame this thread has been deserted for another one showcasing versions of the same tune. I can't really see why, myself, but there we are. At least this thread doesn't begin with an 8" list of rules and regulations :-)

However, Tenderly has one more week to run here and then we'll have the next tune. Doubtless a great relief
    if you have time practise Four...

User Info Menu

So why do you persist on both? The "rules" you mention aren't decrees from some authority, they are just ideas that people on the forum who've worked together in successful groups have evolved. You'll find them on other groups as well, phrased differently.

Maybe you should stay here and leave the solo group to those who actually like it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Terrific as usual, M-ster, very original. Some great sounds in there. I loved the way you began your solo, so nice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Good take.Very nice sound.
    A little too much straigh 8th lines/solo/ in my opinion.
    I mean I am looking for swinging notes but it is probably difficult to do with midi comping.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

As usual, your version of this great old song is just about as good as is possible. Very nice, modern intro and all the good improv was original and exciting! I liked it very much. Thanks for sharing,

Howie (wiz)

User Info Menu

Damn! Where do I start M-ster.

I think this is the only 3/4 take in the thread and not just a simple waltz. Your phrasing along with the syncopation in the track kept my interest through the whole thing. It's so interesting to me rhythmically that it's hard for me to listen to how you're approaching the harmony.

Inspirational.
    Last edited by Gramps; 03-25-2018 at 07:57 AM.

User Info Menu

As I recall, this song was original written as a waltz but most musicians present it as a ballad in 4/4 time. It is a beautiful melodic and harmonic old standard.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    As I recall, this song was original written as a waltz but most musicians present it as a ballad in 4/4 time. It is a beautiful melodic and harmonic old standard.

wiz (Howie)
    That's my understanding, too -- that the tune originally was in 3/4 ... And, supposedly, composer Gross didn't care for lyricist Lawrence's lyrics.

User Info Menu

That's my understanding, too -- that the tune originally was in 3/4 ... And, supposedly, composer Gross didn't care for lyricist Lawrence's lyrics.
    There’s a story about Walter Gross in the George van Eps book which just came out. Tenderly was his only hit, and once he was at a party where Johnny Mercer was singing his own songs at the piano, and getting lots of compliments. Gross got annoyed and kept making comments about it. Eventually Johnny finished and said “Hey Walter, why don’t you sing a medley of ‘Tenderly’”?