The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 81

User Info Menu

Ready?

Our standard for Mar 2018 will be Tenderly - by Walter Gross & Jack Lawrence (1946).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Tenderly)

Contrafacts:
    Serene - Eric Dolphy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Threre is a very energetic take of Bill Evans in 3/4 :

User Info Menu

At my skill level it takes a while to work through new material. OTOH, I get to hear lots of great ideas from others while I learn.

User Info Menu

Here's Joe Pass doing in in an acoustic quartet, at a nice swinging tempo.

User Info Menu

As we're gradually transferring the content of YouTube to here, here's a version I don't care for much! I like the modern players and admire the sounds, but I think it can get overdone and merely become a search for the bizarre, which in turn becomes a bit shallow.

Sorry, Jonathan (great player, normally one my heroes). Mind you, it's very well done :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    As we're gradually transferring the content of YouTube to here, here's a version I don't care for much! I like the modern players and admire the sounds, but I think it can get overdone and merely become a search for the bizarre, which in turn becomes a bit shallow.

Sorry, Jonathan (great player, normally one my heroes). Mind you, it's very well done :-)

This is a great solo version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    This is a great solo version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes I like Kreisberg’s version just as much as Johnny Smith’s, can’t see what the problem is. Some of the harmonies are a bit more dissonant or altered from the original changes, so what, sounds great.

User Info Menu

I like one chorus Kreisberg’s version very much.

User Info Menu

Here’s mine (solo guitar), normally these things take me ages but I only learned this tune last night!

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Here’s mine (solo guitar), normally these things take me ages but I only learned this tune last night!

Nice. Great ending.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Nice. Great ending.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    Thanks! Actually I find with these solo things it’s interesting to think about the ending, it’s fun to try and compose something that will sound good.

User Info Menu

Here's my version, based on the Chet Atkins arrangement. :-)

Adrian

User Info Menu

Adrian -

That was really nice. You brought out the tune, sounded lovely, great voicings, and it had feeling; you played it like you meant it. Excellent.

(But cut out that flamenco stuff, it doesn't fit at all. Would anyone start playing Misty in the middle of a Malagueña? )

User Info Menu

That was really nice. You brought out the tune, sounded lovely, great voicings, and it had feeling; you played it like you meant it. Excellent.

(But cut out that flamenco stuff, it doesn't fit at all. Would anyone start playing Misty in the middle of a Malagueña? )
    Thanks very much! And fair point about the "flamenco" (I assume you're referring to the part where I switch between E and F major chords). In my defense, I took that directly from the Chet Atkins arrangement that I was trying to emulate:

Adrian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Nice. Where is that backing track from ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adrianh
    Here's my version, based on the Chet Atkins arrangement. :-)

Adrian
    Great playing man! That’s a really nice arrangement, very guitaristic. Makes a cool contrast to Graham’s approach.

User Info Menu

Very slow tempo Tenderly:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    supports Christian's comment about old school players
    I like Peter Bernstein’s approach to this, I know exactly what you mean Joe. He says don’t throw away the melody and forget it because you can’t wait to display all your clever stuff in your solo; instead use the melody to work from, at least for the first chorus or so.

I like it because if nothing else, it gives you a defined set of notes to work on, maybe generate some fresh ideas from that limitation. He talks about it here:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    When I cheque my recorded take and one or two notes I do not like I cancel all my recorded track.
    Me too. I throw away much more than I post. But for the sake of a note or two? Not worth it.

These two should have definitely scrapped this. The ghastly clashing! OMG!!

User Info Menu

Kris, I really enjoyed your last version, very tasteful.

Here's my contribution in 3/4 -

Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD
    Kris, I really enjoyed your last version, very tasteful.

Here's my contribution in 3/4 -

Paul
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks.
    Your take in 3/4 is really nice and very optimistic.
    Fantastic jazz sounding Tele in your hands.
    You have a big jazz vacabulary and every note is clean for me.
    Perfect single line solo with great jazz feel.
    You are my nr 1 .
    You just play without any philosophy.
    Jazzingly Yours
    Kris

User Info Menu

Me too. I throw away much more than I post. But for the sake of a note or two? Not worth it.

These two should have definitely scrapped this. The ghastly clashing! OMG!!

I/ve got this Cd about 20 years ago.
    Great legendary players!
    Good material for transcribing solos...:-)

User Info Menu

Kris, thanks for those very kind words!

Paul

User Info Menu

I like this old version very much:

User Info Menu

I think it's quite interesting that very few of us actually discuss how we play over these standards every month. At least, as far as I can see. Maybe the last time was Caravan, over that long section of C7 (or C7/Db7). That was a bit of a puzzle.

With this tune here, I've been looking at what I was using to play over the two sections that begin Fm7b5/Bb7 (bars 9 - 12 and 25 - 26). I've been playing a few things - Ab mel and outline the Bb7 or Bb13. Or Ab mel and F dorian. Or maybe Bb7b9.

Or, maybe, Eb harmonic m. That's probably the nearest one theoretically because it treats the chords as a ii-V of Ebm. You get the natural D over the Fm7b5 as opposed to Db. But harmonic minor can get a bit sweet after a while... you know.

To those players who've contributed their versions here, how have you approached these chords, as a matter of interest? Not a theoretical answer, but what have you actually played?

Just wondering. Of course, writing it all down like this doesn't make for easy to read posts, so sorry for that.