Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 201 to 246 of 246

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Well, sorry, but you're not really saying anything definite, Kris. The sound/mixing is the best I can do because I don't have your expensive equipment. But the music can be separated from the quality, I believe.

Apart from that all I hear is 'I don't like it' -

That's pretty general! So maybe you just don't care for my style because you don't care for it. In which case, too bad :-)
    I care too much...:-)...I think.
    Seriosly I am thinking about my future gigs and you are thinking about your future takes.
    This is a little difference.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Strange... I think I must live on a different planet to you folks. My Tenderly 6 seems to have been completely ignored but I know it's a good piece of music, skilful and interesting. I'm saying this as a matter of fact, it's not an ego thing at all.

I actually find the other versions a bit twinkly. Nice enough but not terribly inventive, to be honest. Well played and all that but they seem to drift by a bit. Again, this is objective, not personal in the least.

So I'm asking myself why this is. Is it because of the quality? Would there be a different reaction if I'd recorded it with an electric guitar and good, clear quality? It could be because my quality doesn't come over well on a mobile phone. Or you don't like me personally, possibly? I don't know!

I actually think the tune doesn't suit the single-string and backing track treatment very well. Probably the nicest way is the chord melody style. And there's no doubt that the one that stands out from all of our versions is Jeff's one. Beautifully played, worth transcribing. That's the definitive version here in my opinion.

That's the one I'd take to the desert island :-)
    Maybe this help...:
    Ragman 1 transcribe yours last take and write chord changes over it.
    Do an analyse of the notes and scales you play...
    This is my last post about there!!!

User Info Menu

OK, I used the same backing track as kris did in one of his tracks.

Normally, when I learn a new song I start with changes and melody then work out a chord melody version and then use what I learned to work out some sort of single note ideas.

I believe it was kris, ragman and joe who were discussing playing one arpeggio over a different chord so I tried some of that in this solo.

There are some clams in here and I lost it in the second ending of the solo but this shows where I am with the song at this moment.
    I almost put the line from Isn't She Lovely over the final G-7 C7|F-7 Bb7| but that was just done in another song.

Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Gramps; 03-20-2018 at 07:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me Gramps! I like the vibrato you put on the end of the phrases, it’s easy to forget how effective that can be.

User Info Menu

Gramps -

I thought that was pretty good :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    OK, I used the same backing track as kris did in one of his tracks.

Normally, when I learn a new song I start with changes and melody then work out a chord melody version and then use what I learned to work out some sort of single note ideas.

I believe it was kris, ragman and joe who were discussing playing one arpedio over a different chord so I tried some of that in this solo.

There are some clams in here and I lost it in the second ending of the solo but this shows where I am with the song at this moment.
    I almost put the line from Isn't She Lovely over the final G-7 C7|F-7 Bb7| but that was just done in another song.

Suggestions are welcome.

Hi Gramps,
    You have a great sound-very jazzy hollow sound.
    Nice chord-melody head.
    Your solo-impro is very relaxing-what I like very much.
    Every note is very clear and you know what you play about.
    Congrats.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Suggestions are welcome.
    Keep doing what you are doing!

User Info Menu

Hi Gramps, this is a very nice version with very good sounds and very enjoyable, The chord melody was relaxed with excellent time and good choices for the changes. To me, this version sounded very professional and leaves no need for any changes. Great job and very enjoyable!

wiz (Howie)
    Howie

User Info Menu

Here is my Tenderly.
    It's a simple version on an old acoustic guitar.

Hans

User Info Menu

Nice, that's got a good feel to it

User Info Menu

Nice, that's got a good feel to it
    Thanks! It is a simple and basic guitar and it invites you to play...simple and basic.

User Info Menu

It's a shame this thread has been deserted for another one showcasing versions of the same tune. I can't really see why, myself, but there we are. At least this thread doesn't begin with an 8" list of rules and regulations :-)

However, Tenderly has one more week to run here and then we'll have the next tune. Doubtless a great relief

At least this thread doesn't begin with an 8" list of rules and regulations :-)
    You are a true artist of snobby condescension. Congrats.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

It's a shame this thread has been deserted for another one showcasing versions of the same tune. I can't really see why, myself, but there we are. At least this thread doesn't begin with an 8" list of rules and regulations :-)

However, Tenderly has one more week to run here and then we'll have the next tune. Doubtless a great relief
    if you have time practise Four...

User Info Menu

So why do you persist on both? The "rules" you mention aren't decrees from some authority, they are just ideas that people on the forum who've worked together in successful groups have evolved. You'll find them on other groups as well, phrased differently.

Maybe you should stay here and leave the solo group to those who actually like it.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    So why do you persist on both?
    Because it's there, and because at least there is some discussion about the tune. We (me mostly) tried to get some technical discussion here on the PS threads but it never took off. There, they're happy to discuss it, possibly because it's for chord melody arrangements and they're more difficult. But I haven't posted any music on the other one (yet).

The "rules" you mention aren't decrees from some authority
    I know, lawson, it was partly humorous. They're not really 'rules and regulations', they're guidelines repeated at the head of all the Study Group threads.

Maybe you should stay here and leave the solo group to those who actually like it.
    Who said I don't like it? Why do you assume that?

My point is that there is an obvious duplication, that's all. With all respect to Gramps, he pointed out several times on the previous study thread that this would happen but was overruled. They were going to do Shadow Of Your Smile but didn't.

Now the thing is there it's a done deal so there we are. But I'm aware that this thread has been overshadowed, that's all. I feel sorry for it!

Hope that answers you and anybody else. It's quite simple really.

User Info Menu

Because it's there, and because at least there is some discussion about the tune. We (me mostly) tried to get some technical discussion here on the PS threads but it never took off. There, they're happy to discuss it, possibly because it's for chord melody arrangements and they're more difficult. But I haven't posted any music on the other one (yet).

I know, lawson, it was partly humorous. They're not really 'rules and regulations', they're guidelines repeated at the head of all the Study Group threads.

Who said I don't like it? Why do you assume that?

My point is that there is an obvious duplication, that's all. With all respect to Gramps, he pointed out several times on the previous study thread that this would happen but was overruled. They were going to do Shadow Of Your Smile but didn't.

Now the thing is there it's a done deal so there we are. But I'm aware that this thread has been overshadowed, that's all. I feel sorry for it!

Hope that answers you and anybody else. It's quite simple really.
    Sorry I missed the humor. I've checked the batteries in my ®Acme Humor Detector and they were dead as a doornail this AM, but I've changed them out for fresh so I should be good now!

Duplication in my mind is just not a problem. The Solo Guitar threads generally aim at trying to get ideas for arranging for, well, solo guitar. The PS threads cover everything from different arrangements of the heads to soloing ideas and strategies, etc. Someone just interested in arranging for solo guitar might waste a lot of time on the PS thread and not glean much. I don't generally read the PS threads for that reason.

I think the duplication was an accident basically and not something to worry too much about.

Don't feel sorry for the PS thread. The PS threads have come and gone, but always revived. We have a fantastic library of threads devoted to great tunes from this chain of threads, and it always comes back. Whether the solo guitar threads keep thriving after the "new" wears off remains to be seen.

Sorry about the dead batteries in the old ®Acme Humor Detector. I get up at 5 AM every morning for some work and perhaps that's a bad time to read forums!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

rags why dont you do an arrangement? you certainly know the tune well enough
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    rags why dont you do an arrangement? you certainly know the tune well enough
    I already have :-)

Whether it should be shared, I don't know. Like the single-string stuff it's not jazz as we know it, Jim

User Info Menu

I already have :-)

Whether it should be shared, I don't know. Like the single-string stuff it's not jazz as we know it, Jim
    is it kindergarten ?.............

User Info Menu

Hi Ragman,

Since you started participating in the Solo Guitar thread, I know you've probably figured this out already or people have told you, but for others here I just wanted to clarify what happened. Tenderly was the choice for song #2 of the Solo Guitar group before the PS thread announced it for the month of March. We did a poll over there a month or two ago and it came out #2, so everyone knew it would be our next song. Several people had been working on solo arrangements for it in anticipation.

After the PS thread announced Tenderly as its March song before we started our Tenderly thread, there was discussion on what to do. Several wanted to move on to song #3 (Shadow of Your Smile) and skip Tenderly. As it so happens, we went ahead and started a Tenderly thread and people are participating. It seems we have some overlay between the two threads so that's actually maybe a good thing! (Now if Shadow of Your Smile turns out to be April PS song, I will start to get suspicious

As far as the 8" set of rules, I think you've already said you were kidding around about that. But, as others here have mentioned, it's basically a general description of the group for new people trying to decide whether to participate or not. I want people to read them and feel welcome and decide heck yes I can jump in here! They will see they don't need to be a pro and not have to worry about getting ridiculed or criticized (unless they ask for that of course!)

My personal interest in that group is getting better at playing solo interpretations of well know songs. For me personally that means most likely being background noise at a farmer's market or art show, etc. Those interpretations can of course move into improv during the performance. Improv in that setting is something I personally would like to improve at and I enjoy seeing how everyone does it. I encourage you to post performances there as well. There may be differences between the PS and SG threads, but little distinction.

User Info Menu

Paul -

Thanks for the explanation, appreciated. I certainly didn't know you were going to do Tenderly before the PS announced it. Obviously it looked to me as though this thread had been usurped in some way, hence the concern.

Thanks for taking the trouble. As for contributing, we'll see :-)

User Info Menu

Paul -

Thanks for the explanation, appreciated. I certainly didn't know you were going to do Tenderly before the PS announced it. Obviously it looked to me as though this thread had been usurped in some way, hence the concern.

Thanks for taking the trouble. As for contributing, we'll see :-)
    Yeah it was a little bit of a dilemma on whether to move forward with our own Tenderly, but nothing earth-changing! It was just a real coincidence the same song was picked.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Terrific as usual, M-ster, very original. Some great sounds in there. I loved the way you began your solo, so nice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster View Post
    Good take.Very nice sound.
    A little too much straigh 8th lines/solo/ in my opinion.
    I mean I am looking for swinging notes but it is probably difficult to do with midi comping.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

As usual, your version of this great old song is just about as good as is possible. Very nice, modern intro and all the good improv was original and exciting! I liked it very much. Thanks for sharing,

Howie (wiz)
    Howie

User Info Menu

Damn! Where do I start M-ster.

I think this is the only 3/4 take in the thread and not just a simple waltz. Your phrasing along with the syncopation in the track kept my interest through the whole thing. It's so interesting to me rhythmically that it's hard for me to listen to how you're approaching the harmony.

Inspirational.
    Last edited by Gramps; 03-25-2018 at 07:57 AM.

User Info Menu

As I recall, this song was original written as a waltz but most musicians present it as a ballad in 4/4 time. It is a beautiful melodic and harmonic old standard.

wiz (Howie)
    Howie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739 View Post
    As I recall, this song was original written as a waltz but most musicians present it as a ballad in 4/4 time. It is a beautiful melodic and harmonic old standard.

wiz (Howie)
    That's my understanding, too -- that the tune originally was in 3/4 ... And, supposedly, composer Gross didn't care for lyricist Lawrence's lyrics.

User Info Menu

I worked about Four changes...a little similar to Tenderly:

https://app.box.com/s/8doprd85798v4zsw2k6hqhuvbownx450

User Info Menu

That's my understanding, too -- that the tune originally was in 3/4 ... And, supposedly, composer Gross didn't care for lyricist Lawrence's lyrics.
    There’s a story about Walter Gross in the George van Eps book which just came out. Tenderly was his only hit, and once he was at a party where Johnny Mercer was singing his own songs at the piano, and getting lots of compliments. Gross got annoyed and kept making comments about it. Eventually Johnny finished and said “Hey Walter, why don’t you sing a medley of ‘Tenderly’”?

User Info Menu

so when the next one gets announced there will just be a new thread posted in this section?
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    so when the next one gets announced there will just be a new thread posted in this section?
    Yes. I usually start the next month's thread sometime on the last day of the current month. (I'm in the US, Eastern Standard Time.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    This is a great solo version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So many great ideas in all these guitar solo versions of Tenderly. Thanks for making me aware of them!

User Info Menu

March 2018 - Tenderly-sddefault-jpg

^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

Loved that atmospheric CM with the overdriven guitar, really suits it! Brilliant.

User Info Menu

Loved that atmospheric CM with the overdriven guitar, really suits it! Brilliant.
    Thank you.

Sent from VladanMovies @ YouTube
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

:-(

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    :-(
    Dear Kris, saddened by cheerful blues, again.

Sent from VladanMovies @ YouTube
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

Direct Youtube link:

^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    Direct Youtube link:

Nice to hear something completely different. I liked the first take the most.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Nice to hear something completely different. I liked the first take the most.
    Thank You.
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

As we're gradually transferring the content of YouTube to here, here's a version I don't care for much! I like the modern players and admire the sounds, but I think it can get overdone and merely become a search for the bizarre, which in turn becomes a bit shallow.

Sorry, Jonathan (great player, normally one my heroes). Mind you, it's very well done :-)

To each his own! My reaction was the polar opposite of yours - I felt JK's absolutely beautiful interpretation of this tune was SO good that I have invested massive amounts of time and effort to learn it. I must thank you for posting this link, because I had no idea that a transcription (well-done, I might add) was available. I contributed to Francois' site and purchased the PDF. It will undoubtedly be quite useful in helping me to put the finishing touches on my shameless plagiarism of one of my all-time guitar heros!

User Info Menu

I wish you luck, I'm sure you'll do it wonderful justice

User Info Menu

I wish you luck, I'm sure you'll do it wonderful justice
    You are too kind! More like I'll try not to butcher it too badly :-)