The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 83

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD
    Tim, I love listening to your playing, you have such a great touch!

Ragman, there's a nice vibe on your version! Well done.

Jeff, always enjoy your videos, full of cool ideas! Like you, I used to play this a lot more but haven't played it in a few years.

Here's a short take I did this morning as I get reacquainted with the tune...

Hello Paul,
    Very nice ad lib take...a lot of cool chords with beautifull voicings.
    All The Best
    Kris
    ps.
    I think the key of G is most comfortable for solo guitarists.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Ah, good, some chords. I was going to ask what changes people were using. Is there some standard accepted version or are there many?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It wasn't bad. The thing I found with this tune is that it's hard to keep the feel of it whilst improvising. It's easy enough to run round the changes but probably one has to somehow keep that intimate and romantic feel to it.

If I did more chord-melody I'd do that, I think. I've sort of lost touch with that these days but that's what I'd do. As an instrumental, that is. Beaumont had the right idea but I'd like to hear him do it in a quiet place!

This is nice (sorry to post another YouTube). Always did like Ed Bickert.

I could listen to Ed Bickert all day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD
    Tim, I love listening to your playing, you have such a great touch!

Ragman, there's a nice vibe on your version! Well done.

Jeff, always enjoy your videos, full of cool ideas! Like you, I used to play this a lot more but haven't played it in a few years.

Here's a short take I did this morning as I get reacquainted with the tune...

Wow Paul that was fabulous, it really sung to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Ah, good, some chords. I was going to ask what changes people were using. Is there some standard accepted version or are there many?
    People/artists/ are using different changes.The best way is hearing versions by masters/guitarist,pianists etc../.
    It is good ear training for everybody to take changes from recordings.
    For ex. there are great changes from Kenny Barron/pianist/ concert take in the key of F:
    Attachment 50339

User Info Menu

Some really great playing here. Most of the people who've posted so far are full-time players or teachers one way or the other, right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup
    Some really great playing here. Most of the people who've posted so far are full-time players or teachers one way or the other, right?

it is an open thread ....
    ...from beginers to more advanced....
    ...all coments are positive...

User Info Menu

I have to agree that between this thread and the CMelody one discussing DOWAR there are some really great performances.

I've been spending all my spare time following the discussions/performances and picking up any crumbs of knowledge that I can.

I'd like to thank all contributors for sharing with those of us who are not as advanced.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    it is an open thread ....
    ...from beginers to more advanced....
    ...all coments are positive...
    Thanks Kris, I appreciate it.

My question was really trying to find out how much time the posters spend on playing - whether it's a full-time job for them or not. I can't imagine many of these posters doing this (both the quantity and the quality) after a "regular" job and other responsibilities. But I am often wrong!

I don't think this question has ever been raised before (at least I've never seen it), and maybe it's none of my business :-)

User Info Menu

Well, I dunno if my post was any good, but I am not a pro. I'm a full time high school visual art teacher, I do run some after school music things...until very recently, I taught private lessons.

I started young, gigging at 12, but not jazz. Probably played a few hundred gigs by age 22, when I got a real job...so basically, I'm either desensitized or just too dumb to be scared of putting myself out there

User Info Menu

I knew from some of yr other posts Jeff that you are a teacher - your playing's so fluent I'd assumed you must be a music/guitar teacher. Great stuff!

User Info Menu

I'm not really a pro either, other than an occasional gig here and there, otherwise I'm just a retired IT guy who really likes to play guitar .

User Info Menu

Looks like I am a pro...
    I played a lot of jazz gigs but not only.
    I started to play guitar at age on 10 years old.
    I,ve studied classical guitar first.I participated in many jazz competitions with some suceses/most important in 1978-gold Washoard Cometition-first place as soloist/.
    I played in different bands from guitar duet to big bands /about 35 years/.
    I still play jazz on my guitars and I like it and I like to share my expirience too.
    I still learn as everybody here at this thread.
    Best
    Kris
    Attachment 50362
    me& Bobby Watson -festival gig Warsaw
    Last edited by kris; 02-06-2018 at 03:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Kris, I appreciate it.

My question was really trying to find out how much time the posters spend on playing - whether it's a full-time job for them or not. I can't imagine many of these posters doing this (both the quantity and the quality) after a "regular" job and other responsibilities. But I am often wrong!

I don't think this question has ever been raised before (at least I've never seen it), and maybe it's none of my business :-)
    I play professionally (2 to 5 gigs per week). I also have a day job ( I am a school teacher ). I have a wife and 2 kids ( they almost don’t recognize me without a guitar on my knee.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Surely you all know this version, all the lyricism with few notes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlones
    Surely you all know this version, all the lyricism with few notes

Quite possibly the best version of “Embraceable You” that I have ever heard.

User Info Menu

So simple... :-)

User Info Menu

I break up the bars in my mind, so one bar is like two.

By the way, that other version I posted at [Practical Standards] February 2018 - Embraceable You - Page 2 is even slower. The whole clip is only one chorus! But nobody's mentioned it. And I think it's really effective

(It was also done with the head too but it was too long)

User Info Menu

Hey ragman1, would be pleased if you can explain the 4 chord simplicity as I am struggling with it.

User Info Menu

It's probably best if it isn't clear because it can be deceptive and give the soloist a false sense of security!

The idea is that basically, in any major key, there are only two groups of sounds, dominant and major.

In G, the variations of the G major chord are G6 and GM7 so the major group are the chords G, Bm and Em. You can see why.

All the other chords - except C - come into the dominant group - D7, Am, F#m7b5. This includes substitutions (like the backdoor), secondary dominants, and passing chords.

The IV chord, C, is the exception. The two variations are CM7 and C6. CM7 is like an Em, which is in the major group, and C6 is like Am which is in the dominant group. So C can fall into either camp depending how it's used.

Same with the relative minor. Em, G, and C are in the minor group, the rest are dominant. So F#m7b5 - B7b9 - Em7 is basically just B7 and Em.

So EY could be played like this. Of course it obviously destroys a lot of the subtlety:

G - % - D7 - %
    D7 - % - G - B7
    Em - % - Bm - A7 (key change to D maj)
    D - A7 - D7 -%

G - % - D7 - %
    D7 - % - G - G7 (key change to C maj)
    C - B7 - Em - A7 (temporary modulation to D)
    G - D7 - G - D7
    Last edited by ragman1; 02-10-2018 at 02:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Come to think of it, it's only a 2-chord trick for each key, G, Em, D and C. So I suppose that actually makes the whole thing a 6-chord trick, rather than 4.
    Last edited by ragman1; 02-21-2018 at 12:32 AM.

User Info Menu

I was thinking about this tune today and made a new vid, enjoy

all the best

User Info Menu

Tim,
    Great solo fingerstyle guitar playing.
    Guitar-sound is exelent.
    You keep time perfect in this solo performance!!!
    Best
    Kris