Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 51 to 100 of 133
    Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    There is one chorus of my impro over Embraceable You in the of Eb/bossa style/.Changes from F.Hubbard...:

https://app.box.com/s/1mexk5u7mtfam97zatmyfw8e7n51o5r7
    Attachment 50363
    Very cool. I especially like the ahead phrasing at the end. horn like. Very different take. Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There is one chorus of my impro over Embraceable You in the of Eb/bossa style/.Changes from F.Hubbard...:
    WOW. Just, WOW! You really put a fresh shine on this old standard. I love the way the melody floats in and out, almost like it's playing peek-a-boo with the listener. And lovely tone as well. Worth the thread, for me.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

how do you think?

It is impro/exercise/ over 'Embraceable You' changes and it's a very melodic and romantic solo...
    Okay!

February 2018 - Embraceable You-untitled-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Okay!

February 2018 - Embraceable You-untitled-jpg
    One girl asked me after gig:
    girl -you play so beautiful ,what instrument is it?
    me - ...ooops guitar...
    girl - o sorry I thought it was bass guitar
    me - not a problem at all,you are so beautiful...

User Info Menu

https://app.box.com/s/1mexk5u7mtfam97zatmyfw8e7n51o5r7
    That was excellent kris!!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Headless :-)

User Info Menu

There is my take on Stratocaster style guitar/D'Addario 11th strings/.
    I/ve tried playing the head with more sustain notes...
    Kris, first 42 seconds, based on melody of the head, were just wow!!! Clearly the best thing that happened in this thread, IMO.

The next 15 seconds were ... why is he doing this and what is he trying to accomplish with it ...
    The part after 1:00, let's say, I could totally live without it.
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

Surely you all know this version, all the lyricism with few notes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    Kris, first 42 seconds, based on melody of the head, were just wow!!! Clearly the best thing that happened in this thread, IMO.

The next 15 seconds were ... why is he doing this and what is he trying to accomplish with it ...
    hi Vladan,
    This is Art I think...different looks,feel and etc...;-)

Thanks for nice coment
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post

Vladan,
    If you decide on a career change I suggest you don't go into diplomacy.

User Info Menu

I find Vladan's comments interesting, because he's clearly hearing something I'm not...I though Kris' take was quite cohesive. And I liked all of it.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Love and jazz- one fameous jazzman said : "jazz without love not exist"..........

User Info Menu

But isn't Vladan entitled to his view? Diplomacy has nothing to do with it. He said he thought the beginning was really good (for him) and then it sort of faded in its meaning.

Fair enough, what's wrong with that? What are we, powder puffs or something? Do you think Kris is going to down lots of Wodka and throw himself out the nearest window? He's an experienced player, he can take it.

It was one of the first things I noticed here, that anything and everything was liked. You got this funny feel coming off it... I thought it stopped meaning anything in the end, and I've said so a few times too. I suppose the question is, when does wanting to spare peoples' feelings become, actually, dishonest?

Sorry, not trying to be too controversial. I'm a happy bunny really

User Info Menu

Love and jazz- one fameous jazzman said : "jazz without love not exist"..........
    Without love nothing much exists. And I'm not the religious sort :-)

User Info Menu

But isn't Vladan entitled to his view? Diplomacy has nothing to do with it. He said he thought the beginning was really good (for him) and then it sort of faded in its meaning.

Fair enough, what's wrong with that? What are we, powder puffs or something? Do you think Kris is going to down lots of Wodka and throw himself out the nearest window? He's an experienced player, he can take it.

It was one of the first things I noticed here, that anything and everything was liked. You got this funny feel coming off it... I thought it stopped meaning anything in the end, and I've said so a few times too. I suppose the question is, when does wanting to spare peoples' feelings become, actually, dishonest?

Sorry Ragman1,
    I do not like any vodka.It was a my "joke" about vodka and jazz feel in the thread before/take the A/in the New Year day.
    I do not use any alkohol about 15 years.
    It is not fair to pair of alcohol with me...:-(
    I prefer beer wthout alkohol.

User Info Menu

Sorry Ragman1,
    I do not like any vodka.It was a my "joke" about vodka and jazz feel in the thread before/take the A/in the New Year day.
    I do not use any alkohol about 15 years.
    It is not fair to pair of alcohol with me...:-(
    I prefer beer wthout alkohol.
    It was a joke. Relax.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlones View Post
    Surely you all know this version, all the lyricism with few notes

Quite possibly the best version of “Embraceable You” that I have ever heard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

It was a joke. Relax.

User Info Menu

I like all of Kris’ playing.

If I don’t like someone’s playing I tend to just not say anything. I certainly won’t say I like something when I don’t. But to be fair there is usually something to like in everyone’s efforts, even if it’s just one or two phrases.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    I like all of Kris’ playing.

If I don’t like someone’s playing I tend to just not say anything. I certainly won’t say I like something when I don’t. But to be fair there is usually something to like in everyone’s efforts, even if it’s just one or two phrases.
    There is nothing wrong with Kris's playing.
    I did not speak about HIM and HIS playing, I spoke about ME and MY thoughts about the music I listened to.
    Kris is serious guy and he will be able to use my comment in practical ways that will make him better musician and better person, even if he develop in a way opposite to what I had in mind, just like other people should try to do after Kris, or I, or anybody, give similar comments on their precious work.
    I did not say what he came up with was bad and I did not like it. I said I did not understand it, it did not speak to me, so I could not say I liked it. Except for the part that I liked.
    Really, I think other posters should be more offended than Kris, because when I said Kris's first 42 seconds were good, it could be interpreted as ... All attempts by other posters are not ... See, positive comments are even worse than negative. Fake politeness is potentially much worse than being sincere. Afterall, should not we warn our friends if we think they are on the wrong path, or we should stay back, hoping for their failure so we could jump in their place?
    Over and out before I go too far ...

Sent from VladanMovies @ YouTube
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Vladan,
    If you decide on a career change I suggest you don't go into diplomacy.
    "Diplomacy is like jazz: endless variations on a theme. "
    Richard Holbrooke

User Info Menu

I am happy everybody like me...:-)
    Jazzingly Yours
    KrisFebruary 2018 - Embraceable You-world-trio-jpg

User Info Menu

Personally, I'm quite positively certain that no one meant anything nasty to anyone here at all. So shall we get back to Embraceable You?

This is actually a pretty simple tune. Unless you're playing a chord melody, in which case it's always difficult! It's why I don't do it any more, although I could if I pulled the stops out.

The whole thing could easily be reduced to a 4-chord trick pretty easily but that would be boring. It's been cleverly jazzed up by substitution. There's the backdoor surprise and a bit of chromaticism but that's all.

I think most of us could romp through it fairly easily if we tried.

Anyway, I did this late last night. It's long but it's supposed to be a workout and fairly diatonic. It's the same speed as the Charlie Parker/Lester Young version. And it is a slow tune, of course.

User Info Menu

So simple... :-)

User Info Menu

Playing good in so slow tempo is not so easy or simple.
    I can say it is very difficult...why?
    simply- because it is so slow...:-)

how to build solos in extremly slow tempo...?
    maybe Reg can say something more about it.

User Info Menu

I break up the bars in my mind, so one bar is like two.

By the way, that other version I posted at [Practical Standards] February 2018 - Embraceable You - Page 2 is even slower. The whole clip is only one chorus! But nobody's mentioned it. And I think it's really effective

(It was also done with the head too but it was too long)

User Info Menu

Hey ragman1, would be pleased if you can explain the 4 chord simplicity as I am struggling with it.
    “When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

It's probably best if it isn't clear because it can be deceptive and give the soloist a false sense of security!

The idea is that basically, in any major key, there are only two groups of sounds, dominant and major.

In G, the variations of the G major chord are G6 and GM7 so the major group are the chords G, Bm and Em. You can see why.

All the other chords - except C - come into the dominant group - D7, Am, F#m7b5. This includes substitutions (like the backdoor), secondary dominants, and passing chords.

The IV chord, C, is the exception. The two variations are CM7 and C6. CM7 is like an Em, which is in the major group, and C6 is like Am which is in the dominant group. So C can fall into either camp depending how it's used.

Same with the relative minor. Em, G, and C are in the minor group, the rest are dominant. So F#m7b5 - B7b9 - Em7 is basically just B7 and Em.

So EY could be played like this. Of course it obviously destroys a lot of the subtlety:

G - % - D7 - %
    D7 - % - G - B7
    Em - % - Bm - A7 (key change to D maj)
    D - A7 - D7 -%

G - % - D7 - %
    D7 - % - G - G7 (key change to C maj)
    C - B7 - Em - A7 (temporary modulation to D)
    G - D7 - G - D7

Just to prove it works (!) here's a solo over the simple chords on the first 16 bars. Then the same solo over the more complex chords. Make of it what you will

Last edited by ragman1; 02-10-2018 at 02:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Come to think of it, it's only a 2-chord trick for each key, G, Em, D and C. So I suppose that actually makes the whole thing a 6-chord trick, rather than 4.
    Last edited by ragman1; 02-21-2018 at 12:32 AM.

User Info Menu

I was thinking about this tune today and made a new vid, enjoy

all the best

User Info Menu

Tim,
    Great solo fingerstyle guitar playing.
    Guitar-sound is exelent.
    You keep time perfect in this solo performance!!!
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

I'm going to cut a big hole in my guitar and see what happens :-)

User Info Menu

I'm going to cut a big hole in my guitar and see what happens :-)
    I hope you will be play like Tim on guitar with a big hole...:-)
    bigger hole-better playing

User Info Menu

I hope you will be play like Tim on guitar with a big hole...:-)
    Yes, that's all it takes. I'm getting out my pocket knife now.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Regarding the hole, I figured I needed a guitar that would match the one in my head.

User Info Menu

It’s easier for losing picks in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    It’s easier for losing picks in.
    Do not work if you are fingerstyle player...

User Info Menu

Do not work if you are fingerstyle player...
    It’s good for losing other things too e.g. keys, pen, phone.

User Info Menu

February 2018 - Embraceable You-th-jpg

User Info Menu

great tune. Here's my take. It's bit sloppy, but maybe you can hear what I'm trying for. I kept it short.

User Info Menu

Great Pkirk! any “sloppyness” can be excused for all that energy and spontaneity. Loved it
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Isn't She Lovely

User Info Menu

I played a bit with this, goes nicely over Donna Lee kind of progression ...

G E A A
    Am D G Dm G
    C Cm G (Bm) E
    A A Am D ...

... add extensions at will ...
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

Here's my effort just at the tune itself.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

That is really great Lawson-stone!
    Thanks.

Hans

User Info Menu

This is my take.
    First time without a backing track.
    First time on a classical guitar.
    That is a heck of a neck to put my thump around, like I am used to.

Hans

User Info Menu

A different approach. This one is really long, and not for the squeamish or purist, but scroll to 12:30 if you just want to hear the final theme.

I find doing a certain amount of this kind of improv is really helpful in all my playing. The focus is on patience, texture, form, playing the ensemble, is not about chops or "what notes do I play" which I tend to get caught in. And it justifies the cash I spent on pedals. The trumpet player Kyle Quass is a monster player.

But I get that it's usually more fun to play than to listen to. Please don't hold back the "this is crap" comments! I can take it.
    Last edited by pkirk; 02-12-2018 at 08:11 PM.

User Info Menu

I think there's an idea there but the problem is that it's a session rather than a performance. I'm not keen on the fairly wide delay effect, personally, although it could be ironed out. I'd prefer to see some sort of a finished article before passing sentence :-)