Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 84 of 84
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    I'm going to cut a big hole in my guitar and see what happens :-)

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I'm going to cut a big hole in my guitar and see what happens :-)
    I hope you will be play like Tim on guitar with a big hole...:-)
    bigger hole-better playing

  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I hope you will be play like Tim on guitar with a big hole...:-)
    bigger hole-better playing
    Yes, that's all it takes. I'm getting out my pocket knife now.

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    great tune. Here's my take. It's bit sloppy, but maybe you can hear what I'm trying for. I kept it short.

  6. #55

    User Info Menu

    Great Pkirk! any “sloppyness” can be excused for all that energy and spontaneity. Loved it

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    I played a bit with this, goes nicely over Donna Lee kind of progression ...

    G E A A
    Am D G Dm G
    C Cm G (Bm) E
    A A Am D ...

    ... add extensions at will ...

  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    Here's my effort just at the tune itself.

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    That is really great Lawson-stone!
    Thanks.

    Hans

  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    This is my take.
    First time without a backing track.
    First time on a classical guitar.
    That is a heck of a neck to put my thump around, like I am used to.



    Hans

  11. #60

    User Info Menu

    A different approach. This one is really long, and not for the squeamish or purist, but scroll to 12:30 if you just want to hear the final theme.



    I find doing a certain amount of this kind of improv is really helpful in all my playing. The focus is on patience, texture, form, playing the ensemble, is not about chops or "what notes do I play" which I tend to get caught in. And it justifies the cash I spent on pedals. The trumpet player Kyle Quass is a monster player.

    But I get that it's usually more fun to play than to listen to. Please don't hold back the "this is crap" comments! I can take it.
    Last edited by pkirk; 02-12-2018 at 08:11 PM.

  12. #61

    User Info Menu

    I think there's an idea there but the problem is that it's a session rather than a performance. I'm not keen on the fairly wide delay effect, personally, although it could be ironed out. I'd prefer to see some sort of a finished article before passing sentence :-)

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    A different approach. This one is really long, and not for the squeamish or purist, but scroll to 12:30 if you just want to hear the final theme.
    I find the whole take really refreshing, especially in context of "improvise by numbers" approach, so usual for Jazz wannabes. I mean, it's not like something similar was never done before, it's almost a genre, but still, although improvised all the way, thanking to being aware of what the other guy and machinery are playing, it sounded like very serious statement. 17 minutes went by like this ...

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    sorry...
    I have not time to hear any of new takes.
    I am working on new Cd till 10 of march and I have to concentrate on my new things.
    All The Best
    Kris

  15. #64

    User Info Menu

    Anyone heard this one? Quality's (original) not that great unfortunately.


  16. #65

    User Info Menu

    ragman thank you for your explanation, have just been so busy the last week have not been able to get to it. I really appreciate the time you put in and will go through it in detail.

  17. #66

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    ragman thank you for your explanation, have just been so busy the last week have not been able to get to it. I really appreciate the time you put in and will go through it in detail.
    I wouldn't make too much of it, there's a danger in over-simplification. It might help a bit when organising a solo, that's all. Beware explanations as a substitute for experience.

    Knowing that there are only two kinds of letters, vowels and consonants, won't help anyone write their novel :-)

  18. #67

    User Info Menu

    This is my submittal for now, I hope I have time to do another one sometime later. This came from an old version of Colleen (my wife) and I getting ready for a gig in a local club. I apologize for the poor quality of the sound, my home studio needed some serious help at that time.

    wiz (Howie)

    https://app.box.com/shared/8z4zn2dmv5

  19. #68

    User Info Menu

    Your wife can sing, can't she? Excellent :-)

  20. #69
    So many great takes. What a great tune. Thanks all.

  21. #70

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    This is my submittal for now, I hope I have time to do another one sometime later. This came from an old version of Colleen (my wife) and I getting ready for a gig in a local club. I apologize for the poor quality of the sound, my home studio needed some serious help at that time.

    wiz (Howie)

    https://app.box.com/shared/8z4zn2dmv5

    Nice Howie

  22. #71

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Thank you, lawson. It's only cos I spared you a video :-)
    Naw, I'd love to see a video. Your playing is worth hearing on its own, but a video helps hacks like me see how you are doing some of these things. But the playing is very fine, I enjoy it.

  23. #72

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Naw, I'd love to see a video. Your playing is worth hearing on its own, but a video helps hacks like me see how you are doing some of these things. But the playing is very fine, I enjoy it.
    Oh, I've done one and got rid of it. Do I have to? It's honestly not that difficult. But I don't know if I could repeat it, that's the main difficulty. I can't remember what I did!

  24. #73

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Oh, I've done one and got rid of it. Do I have to? It's honestly not that difficult. But I don't know if I could repeat it, that's the main difficulty. I can't remember what I did!
    No problem, really. You put the playing up there for us to hear, that's enough. On this forum there are players and there are talkers. You're definitely one of the players, if I may say so, and that counts a lot.

  25. #74

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well, do want this then? It's not chord melody but I like it, there are some nice sounds in there. Lousy quality, nice sounds. And it keeps me off the street
    The strangest thing just happened. It's early afternoon here, a bright sunny day. While your clip was playing, suddenly, all the lights in my very large (400 sq. ft.) office dimmed almost to darkness. Then out of nowhere, came the sound of.... glasses, lightly clinking together, and ... silverware softly tapping on plates, the low murmur of conversation... then

    .. then it was over. I looked up, the lights were normal, my desk was its usual clutter... and it was all a dream...

  26. #75

    User Info Menu

    Half Beautiful and half fearsome, half head and half ...



    VladanMovies & CCC - Car Camera Clips: VladanMovies @ Embraceable You by Half Nelson

    .
    .
    .

  27. #76

    User Info Menu

    Embraceable You... Half Nelson...

  28. #77

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatim
    That is really great Lawson-stone!
    Thanks.

    Hans
    I agree 100 percent ! Lovely playing and great sound...very smooth !! I need to re-work this one...wonderful song.

  29. #78

    User Info Menu

    Made it before month end ...

    http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...20you%2001.mp3

    And for the folks that couldn't play my .mp3 on last month's thread, here's an .aac. (Should be playable on Apple devices.)

    http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...20you%2001.aac
    Last edited by M-ster; 02-25-2018 at 11:48 PM.

  30. #79

    User Info Menu

    And here's my YouTube candidate. If you can make it past the intro, I like the way Etta delivers this one, and it has some interesting reharmonizations.


  31. #80

    User Info Menu

    M-ster -

    But you always just about make it... :-)

    Well done, you've done it again. Beautifully articulated, lovely note choices... what is one to say?

    Thanks!

  32. #81

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    M-ster, you know I think you're really good and all that ...
    Usually you make your own arrangements for backing tracks, was it also the case this time?

  33. #82

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Made it before month end ...

    http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...20you%2001.mp3

    And for the folks that couldn't play my .mp3 on last month's thread, here's an .aac. (Should be playable on Apple devices.)

    http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...20you%2001.aac
    Whoa. I like this better than most recordings of this tune by ANYONE that I've heard. Really excellent!

  34. #83

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Made it before month end ...

    http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...20you%2001.mp3

    And for the folks that couldn't play my .mp3 on last month's thread, here's an .aac. (Should be playable on Apple devices.)

    http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...20you%2001.aac
    M-ster: An excellent version or a great old standard! As always, great tone, nice groove, good lines, great changes and wonderful listening for my new ears (new hearing aids)

    wiz (Howie)

  35. #84

    User Info Menu

    I'll just add direct YT link for my clip: