The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 63 of 63

User Info Menu

Great thanks Ragman. Really appreciate you putting the time in. Will work through your post.

just got home from a jazz lesson which was really great. Will be interesting to see how much I can improve on this. Think I will keep revisiting through out the year.

This has been a tremendous process. So wrapped I know the head of another tune and a starting point for the next chapter of the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like this version:

User Info Menu

Great :

User Info Menu

Gomez wrote
    Love to hear thought on what my next steps for improvement should be.
    Thanks Gomez for posting your video. I like it.
    I noticed in your solo that you end your line on the first count of the 4th bar.(1.00)
    Then start a new line and end it on the the first count of the 8th bar.(1.07)
    Then start a new line and end it on the the first count of the 12th bar.(1.13)
    etc. etc.
    It might gives you support during the solo where you are in the song.

Try to end your lines somewhere else and/ or make your lines shorter.
    That could make you feel the song stronger so you can feel more free to start and end your phrases where you want.
    (Always happy to make a video if wanted)
    Succes.

Hans

User Info Menu

This song didn't come easy for me but it's good for me to struggle sometimes.
    Thanks Kris, for taking the time to provide some guidance. I'm still digesting your examples.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    This song didn't come easy for me but it's good for me to struggle sometimes.
    Thanks Kris, for taking the time to provide some guidance. I'm still digesting your examples.

Hi Gramps,
    Very good take.
    Chord melody style playing at the head-very nice.
    Nice solo-I am hearing what you play about/you are building your jazz vocablulary/.I like it.
    Just one small sugestion about 8th/I hear triplet thinking - It can be ok but experiment also with straigh 8th/.
    I know it is not easy because of backing track.
    Congrats!!!
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

Hi gggomez,
    You asked for advise from us on your performance but I'm reluctant to throw out suggestions because I assume your instructor has a path for you.

What are you working on in your lessons?
    Thanks Gramps.

I had me first session. It was a wonderful experience. This is him on bass

We worked on:

- avoiding the route and highlighting the 3rd and the 7th;
    - time - metronome on 2 and 4 and then on 4 only;
    - time - playing the melody but changing up its rhythm and not being robotically on the beat all the time so floating around the beat but of course always being in time;
    - harmony playing the melody and then where I could in the spaces play the bass notes then the bass note and the 7th, 3rd etc;
    - tone - playing slow and focusing on making each note being in time and beautiful whilst being aware of being in a relaxed state.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    If you don't want to just repeat the lick then you need to use the melodic minor over the iv. And it nearly always resolves very neatly into the M7.
    OTOH, repeating the line might set up a motif that can be used to lead into the next phrase. There is no right way. The more options and ideas the better and delving into melodic minor is something I need to work on more.

Note to gggomez: Either way I find I get a better understanding of a lick when I think of it as a concept I can apply to all of my playing and for me (I'm very slow) it just takes weeks of thinking and trying the concept over everything. Some times it works, sometimes not so much but often you'll run across small revelations that add a piece to the bigger puzzle.
    Last edited by Gramps; 01-29-2018 at 12:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    This is the old trick, to move the ii up a m3 to iv (i.e. Dm - Fm) as a sub for the V. It's very effective and gives you a b9 sound (not a fully altered sound).

If you don't want to just repeat the lick then you need to use the melodic minor over the iv. And it nearly always resolves very neatly into the M7.

There is another tick on 251:
    dm7- F arpegio
    G7 - Ab arpegio
    CMaj7 - C arpegio

User Info Menu

Just made it before month end ...

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...train%2000.mp3

Onward!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Just made it before month end ...

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...train%2000.mp3

Onward!
    Good take and very nice souding jazz box.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Hi gggomez,
    You asked for advise from us on your performance but I'm reluctant to throw out suggestions because I assume your instructor has a path for you.

What are you working on in your lessons?
    I forgot to include, improvising working off the melody, referencing it harmonically, rhythmically, melodically.

I can understand how all the things we were working on feed into this.

User Info Menu

That's a bit late, but who cares?