Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 101 to 150 of 180

User Info Menu

There are a lot of patterns,licks with minor melodic in books or on youtube played by top musicians .
    So how to use it in good way is no so simple.Learn patterns,practise licks in every key,adopt to the style of your playing... it take years.
    what's a hard work...
    My first expierience with this scale was years ago when I started to transcribe and analyse 2 5 1 progressions. It was in 70's.
    ...and the next step - modes of melodic minor....
    Best
    Kris

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

melodic minors
    I'm not disagreeing

(It's why I prefer A mel to D wholetone over D7#11)

User Info Menu

By the way, I have a joke for you, saw it yesterday.

Did you hear about the drummer who gave all his daughters the same name?

Anna 1, Anna 2, Anna 3...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    By the way, I have a joke for you, saw it yesterday.

Did you hear about the drummer who gave all his daughters the same name?

Anna 1, Anna 2, Anna 3...
    About jazz guitarists...:-)
    A 2 , A 5 , A 1

User Info Menu

I used to live in a Flat 5. My jazzy friends thought it was very funny :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Yea there is a balance between playing, practicing and then actually talking about the music. Very few can just play... very few.

So maybe a question... when we look at Take the A train... what do you think, what's your process to becoming aware of the tune how to perform etc...

The Form is pretty straight ahead, A A B A. 8 bar sections.

So the melody is not so clear, it hints at a few different directions.

Personally I either play or hear the tune as a Blues or a jazz pop tune.

The blues seems more common approach, but the I VI II V pop approach works.

The A section is basically an eight bar blues, and the B section finally goes to the IV chord.

The difference for me is how I approach the II chord in the A sections and how I approach that chord in the B section (both D7)

So I either hear the D7 as a sub of some type, in the "A" section of, sub of A- the VI- chord .... or a V of II....anyway the reason I'm bring this up is because, personally how I hear the changes.... what type of function I hear the chord as having opens different doors of improvisation.

I'll post something later and show the differences...

Thanks for comments, and looking forward to becoming part of thread again.
    Hey reg. Would be interested in hearing these "different takes" on it if you have time. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher View Post
    Hey reg. Would be interested in hearing these "different takes" on it if you have time. Thanks.
    +1...
    Hi reg,
    Where are you?

User Info Menu

Very nice 3/4 version:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks for that Wes track, Kris. I was looking for it and couldn't find it, I don't know why! But somewhere there's got to be a better quality recording...

User Info Menu

Only a few days until the Paris concert is released

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

Recorded but now the hard part. I did it on iRig what is best way to now share?

Miles Davis

User Info Menu

I had to create a YouTube account and shared that link in my posts. You can also share from any place with public access but the person clicking on the link takes a risk because they don't know you or what you have at the end of that link.

Looking forward to hearing your clip.

User Info Menu

ragman 1 did so many versions/takes/...maybe it is time for singing version with scating solo?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    ragman 1 did so many versions/takes/...maybe it is time for singing version with scating solo?
    Like this one?

January 2018 - Take the A Train
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

ragman 1 did so many versions/takes/...maybe it is time for singing version with scatting solo?
    You can sing. We're waiting...

(You and I have both done 7 takes, including your 3 exercises)

User Info Menu

It is the best exercise/sing a solo/ for jazz players...look a Chet Baker-it is my favorite jazz vocalist.

User Info Menu

You can sing. We're waiting...

(You and I have both done 7 takes, including your 3 exercises)
    I did one take/after vodka/ and some exerises...please count properly!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    YEA,
    Great singing!

User Info Menu

I really like this. Maybe because it's so relaxed (and I'm so old)

Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I really like this. Maybe because it's so relaxed (and I'm so old)

Thanks for posting.
    This one is really nice.
    All The Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

I did one take

Two takes, you deleted one because of time problems. Better after vodka. My idea, to take vodka :-)

So are you going to scat? Not me, I do not scat

User Info Menu

Two takes, you deleted one because of time problems. Better after vodka. My idea, to take vodka :-)

So are you going to scat? Not me, I do not scat
    It was not my time problems/bass-comping from youtube was not perfect/...
    ....plus 7 takes of mr.ragman 1......without any drink...

yea I am working on scating...;-)

User Info Menu

without any drink..
    True. I don't know how so many jazz players managed to produce beautiful jazz while completely stoned on hard drugs... maybe I should try it :-)

Anyone know the secret?

User Info Menu

True. I don't know how so many jazz players managed to produce beautiful jazz while completely stoned on hard drugs... maybe I should try it :-)

Anyone know the secret?
    Stan Getz was asked how he could play so well when blasted and his reply was that he practiced that way.

User Info Menu

Stan Getz was asked how he could play so well when blasted and his reply was that he practiced that way.
    I'd argue th

The album Stan meets Chet is a great knife in the back of the romantic notion of "stoned out of their minds and making beautiful music"
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I'd argue th

The album Stan meets Chet is a great knife in the back of the romantic notion of "stoned out of their minds and making beautiful music"
    Stan Getz is one of my favorite players but I haven't heard "Stan Meets Chet".

I can't see how anyone could play while messed up.

User Info Menu

Yes! Of course! Brilliant

User Info Menu

Man I am frustrated, been wanting to participate for 12 months. Finally did a recording and I quite liked what I heard. Unfortunately the file is 45mb sitting in iRig on my phone.

..... 6 days until cut off.
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez View Post
    Man I am frustrated, been wanting to participate for 12 months. Finally did a recording and I quite liked what I heard. Unfortunately the file is 45mb sitting in iRig on my phone.

..... 6 days until cut off.
    Still looking forward to hearing it and the "cut off" date is flexible. I hope to record mine this weekend.

Convert your file to MP4.

User Info Menu

Gomez -

Convert to mp4 (free app online) and use SoundCloud or Box.

User Info Menu

(Go to YouTube for track listing links)

User Info Menu

Anyone know the secret?
    Talent - this is a secret...

User Info Menu

This is absolutely worth watching. Drugs etc at about 15.00 but the whole thing is top-notch viewing.

User Info Menu

I am a Showman!!!
    This is my first scat solo over jazz standard over Take the A...
    I never did it before.I hope you like it...this is jazz...

Best
    Kris
    https://app.box.com/s/59ze7ez7l0mejb4zz2g5o236o1k2cl3s

User Info Menu

Doesn't sound a bit Polish. Weird that :-)

Excellent. I thought that was going to be very embarrassing but it was really good!

User Info Menu

Could not emulate my inspired recording from the other day but gotta get something down so here we go warts and all maiden voyage song of the month

Love to hear thought on what my next steps for improvement should be.

Miles Davis

User Info Menu

Well done, Gomez, not easy, it it? And brave of you to bare all, so to speak. You look like a solid guy.

Well, it seems to me that you're a bit limited as to what note choices you have in your head. I think you should probably start doing it more slowly to begin with for practice.

Over the C chord, you have the whole of the C scale to play with at the beginning, both at the the open and 3rd position, not that you'll need it. Placing emphasis on the 6 (A), M7 (B), and 9 (D), will help too. Keep going at it till you're fluent over that. A few simple notes will do.

Then, over that D7#11, I'd personally play A melodic minor. It looks as though you were only using a couple of notes so you need to enlarge on that. You have the whole scale from, say, the A on the 4th string, 7th fret, upwards. That's A B C D E F# G# A B C etc. It really just spans the Am chord at the 5th position. Again, you should get familiar with that. Use it till you're happy to play any note or line with those notes. See what notes, or combination of notes, sounds good to you.

The Dm7 - G7 - C is just a 2-5-1 and a simple but effective phrase will do it. Again, play around with it till something works for you. Diatonic with a few passing notes is good enough. Just so long as get back to a chord tone of C! Don't mess with altered sounds till you definitely know what you're doing, which will probably happen soon enough.

With the other chords, F and the ordinary D7, it's the same. You have all positions of the F - 1st, 5th, 8th. Remember you're in the key of C if you make lines. Try to use more than two strings. At least three, and four is even better. It opens up your sound.

For the D7 use an Am chord as a guide and play the Dorian, which is like C scale with the F's all sharp, and you'll be fine.

For a practice tip: play just one chord (like the D7#11, F or D7) for a few minutes as a backing and play on it till you're familiar. Otherwise you'll only be used to them flashing by and not really have time to understand them.

Keep it simple till you loosen up. That means doing it over and over till you've got it. Try not to play by rote, i.e. just repeating memorised lines. Improvising is walking without a safety net; it's dangerous, but you get used to it. And the more you do it the easier (and better) it gets.

Lastly, don't forget it's far better to play something simple really well than to try to be flash and mess it up. If you overstretch yourself and fail you'll lose confidence. Keep it simple and you'll make headway a lot more quickly.

All the best, hope that helps.

User Info Menu

Great thanks Ragman. Really appreciate you putting the time in. Will work through your post.

just got home from a jazz lesson which was really great. Will be interesting to see how much I can improve on this. Think I will keep revisiting through out the year.

This has been a tremendous process. So wrapped I know the head of another tune and a starting point for the next chapter of the journey.

Miles Davis

User Info Menu

For beginers only:
    Guitar is most difficult instrument...I think.
    You can play the same note at different places of fretboard...so why I practise 6 houers a day...

In my opinion before playing jazz standards every serious beginer player need to learn basic jazz language.
    When I was very beginer I played/tried solos only on blues scale or simply pentatonic-because I heard/in my head/ only these scales.
    I tried to play long lines using simply scales.I played over simply blues forms.
    After this time I started to practise with Aebersold books/cd with examles/251 progressions.
    You have to know what you can play over major chords,minor chords,251 progressions etc.
    Not only the right notes...but also licks,phrases I mean jazz lines.
    You have to build you own jazz vocablulary.
    It must be in good time and good rhythm.Time and rhythm is most important for me.
    Thinking 8th notes in solo improvisation.
    There are my few suggestions for beginer players.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Kris -

I'm still smiling at your scat thing. You could become an internet star doing that!

Honestly, posting multiple versions has always been done . There's a balance somewhere. Usually first run early and then maybe an update or two on progress. Maybe completely different style on the second or third run. if you want to post more than a couple of versions , I'd say that's fine , but maybe just add a link to previous post or something Instead of new posts every time and multiple updates commenting on them. I think the main issue people were having was scrolling through pages and it kind of taking over, ore being multiple takes which were very similar etc. Anyway, I don't have any official say in anything. Those are just my thoughts.
    I want to apologize to the forum for the above post. While I believe it to be basically true still, in this case, it certainly didn't help things overall. Just sad.

To be fair, I did mention "balance" but probably didn't consider specifics enough.

User Info Menu

I want to apologize to the forum for the above post. While I believe it to be basically true still, in this case, it certainly didn't help things overall. Just sad.

To be fair, I did mention "balance" but probably didn't consider specifics enough.
    Hi Matt,
    what can I say?
    You are right.
    All The Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

I like this version:

User Info Menu

Great :

User Info Menu

Gomez wrote
    Love to hear thought on what my next steps for improvement should be.
    Thanks Gomez for posting your video. I like it.
    I noticed in your solo that you end your line on the first count of the 4th bar.(1.00)
    Then start a new line and end it on the the first count of the 8th bar.(1.07)
    Then start a new line and end it on the the first count of the 12th bar.(1.13)
    etc. etc.
    It might gives you support during the solo where you are in the song.

Try to end your lines somewhere else and/ or make your lines shorter.
    That could make you feel the song stronger so you can feel more free to start and end your phrases where you want.
    (Always happy to make a video if wanted)
    Succes.

Hans

User Info Menu

Terrific Hans thank you. Really appreciate that, yes can hear it.

Miles Davis

User Info Menu

This song didn't come easy for me but it's good for me to struggle sometimes.
    Thanks Kris, for taking the time to provide some guidance. I'm still digesting your examples.