The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53

User Info Menu

Thanks christian and mr. b for your comments! Christian, I find myself appreciating your prescence here a lot recently, what with the tea for two recording and now these time exercises! (christian put up a killer take of tea for two, you can find it in the songs section)

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    You are unrelenting lately with comments on others playing. The truth is that you simply don't have good enough time to comment so much on other player's time, especially in direct CONTRADICTION to players who are far superior to either of us. You are apparently inferring the wrong message from others' graciousness and restraint regarding your own playing posts.
    I appreciate ragman's comment and I try to give value to all feedback I receive. I enjoyed his recordings! I'm really glad that some of the super skilled folks had good things to say about my recording, but I'm quite sure they know - as do I - that there are things to improve there! But in their case, I'm inclined to think the best way to learn from them is to just listen to their recordings, try to stuff as much as you can in your pockets and run away!

@ragman - when the tempo drops a little, I do find myself instantly feeling a lot more comfortable, and at first, yes, I was considering putting up a slower take. But I think that's not the approach I should be taking. I've resolved to continue hacking away at this tempo until I nail it. And conversely, I need to work on playing the head nicely at a slower tempo - which, try as I might, I wasn't able to do for some reason.

Here's my version of the famous Parker parable - I went to a jam a year ago, asked for There Will Never Be Another You and they said ok. Now I was comfortable playing it at a medium tempo. But these guys just went in like Clifford Brown was on the bandstand! And there I was, a sitting duck caught in the crossfire. To this day, it was one of the most embarrassing things that I have experienced. Nobody threw a cymbal at me(I could swear the drummer was considering it!), but everybody on the stand and sitting at the bar knew I had messed it up bigtime. So one of the things I resolved to do was work on my technique and facility at all tempos.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pushkar000
    @ragman - when the tempo drops a little, I do find myself instantly feeling a lot more comfortable, and at first, yes, I was considering putting up a slower take. But I think that's not the approach I should be taking. I've resolved to continue hacking away at this tempo until I nail it. And conversely, I need to work on playing the head nicely at a slower tempo - which, try as I might, I wasn't able to do for some reason.
    Thanks. Playing very fast and playing very slow are both tricky and I admire your determination. Actually quite a few artists have recorded How High at a medium pace and it was a song originally, of course. But I'm sure you know all that. But all the best anyway, I'm certainly no boy racer myself :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Thanks. Playing very fast and playing very slow are both tricky and I admire your determination. Actually quite a few artists have recorded How High at a medium pace and it was a song originally, of course. But I'm sure you know all that. But all the best anyway, I'm certainly no boy racer myself :-)
    I particularly like the medium/slow version on Chet Baker's "Chet" album.

This is one of those tunes that works at a variety of tempos though...the lyrics allow for it too...it can be wistful or bubbling with the energy of love returned (if you assume that's what happens in the end). Not a lot of tunes allow for that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I particularly like the medium/slow version on Chet Baker's "Chet" album.

This is one of those tunes that works at a variety of tempos though...the lyrics allow for it too...it can be wistful or bubbling with the energy of love returned (if you assume that's what happens in the end). Not a lot of tunes allow for that.
    What did you think of the Sonny Rollins/Barney Kessell one (once it gets off the ground!)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    What did you think of the Sonny Rollins/Barney Kessell one (once it gets off the ground!)?
    Excellent, I'm admittedly a biased fan--I'll listen to anything Rollins plays...such a giant. A colossus, even.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help Mr. B. I think I have it now.

User Info Menu

There it is! Sounding good. I like how you do the melidy, and how you go after some motifs/development in the solo.

User Info Menu

There is a fast and optimistic version:

User Info Menu

SO much serious stuff happening here, wow, that is the song I love really.

Before making my own version I did my tribute to the Great Figures of Jazz. Some flaws in playing as well as in the score. Anyway I can share pdf with everyone interested. C&C welcome.

PS: This one chorus taught me a lot about triplet subdivisions if you know what I mean

User Info Menu

Ha! I'm posting one mid-month for a change (rather than being late)!

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...0Moon%2000.mp3

I think Gramps beat me to the chordal interpretation of the head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster

Nice playing and a very good quality recording.
    Guitar sounds very clear and jazzy warm.Nice to hear...
    Best
    Kris
    have you more takes?

User Info Menu

... the chordal interpretation of the head.
    That chordal part is real piece of beauty.

User Info Menu

Gramps may have played the CM head but not with that harmonic richness. Great job.

Edit:I just listened 4 or 5 more times. Really nice.
    Last edited by Gramps; 11-18-2017 at 07:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Love the chordal intro M-ster! Great swing, I doubt now if I should post my version but.... never mind.
    It's a pity you decided to continue with those lame midi sounds

So here it goes:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat
    Love the chordal intro M-ster! Great swing, I doubt now if I should post my version but.... never mind.
    It's a pity you decided to continue with those lame midi sounds

So here it goes:
    Sounds OK and nice playing.Comping for my taste is a very simple...sugest more chord voicing,more walking bass with chords.
    kris
    Ps.
    Tomcat,
    I sugest to you made studio recording for free with not so "lame midi sounds"...I mean recordings with bass and drums.
    Last edited by kris; 11-20-2017 at 04:21 AM.

User Info Menu

As Usual, M-Ster, your version reflects your love of jazz guitar and is always very tasty and a treat for my old ears.

wiz (Howie).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    As Usual, M-Ster, your version reflects your love of jazz guitar and is always very tasty and a treat for my old ears.

wiz (Howie).
    Thanks, Howie, you're too kind.

User Info Menu

Great playing as always, thanks!

User Info Menu

Is it too soon for one of the contrafacts? This is Lennie Bird:

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...0Bird%2000.mp3

User Info Menu

Is it too soon for one of the contrafacts? This is Lennie Bird:

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...0Bird%2000.mp3
    I can only assume the missing letters in your account name are "o" and "n". This one will take me a bit longer to digest. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    I can only assume the missing letters in your account name are "o" and "n". This one will take me a bit longer to digest. Thanks for posting.
    Ha! You're much too kind, and in no way is that anywhere near true.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Ps.
    Tomcat,
    I sugest to you made studio recording for free with not so "lame midi sounds"...I mean recordings with bass and drums.
    I prefer to use backing tracks or live loops because it does not kill "live feel" as much as midi parts. You can make also a great midi parts but it takes hell of wotk and time. And yes, today there are so many rehearsal rooms for hours, some with really good acoustics. It's not free but in my area Wroclaw, Poland you can rent at 8EUR/h and make a nice recording

It struck my ears - a huge contrast between beautiful, truly jazz guitar sound and simple midi sounds coming in later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat
    I prefer to use backing tracks or live loops because it does not kill "live feel" as much as midi parts. You can make also a great midi parts but it takes hell of wotk and time. And yes, today there are so many rehearsal rooms for hours, some with really good acoustics. It's not free but in my area Wroclaw, Poland you can rent at 8EUR/h and make a nice recording

It struck my ears - a huge contrast between beautiful, truly jazz guitar sound and simple midi sounds coming in later.
    Czesc Tomek,
    I suggest all of us to play with reall jazz musicians.It is the best way to present our work,feel and sound but I know also reality...
    This thread is rather funny place that make happy of us and made motivation for the future.
    Jazzingly Yours
    Kris

User Info Menu

Not everyone here seems to have the opportunity to play with other jazz players...