The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 53

User Info Menu

Our standard for Nov 2017 will be How High the Moon - by Morgan Lewis and Nancy Hamilton (1940).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (How High the Moon)

Contrafacts:
    Lennie Bird - Lennie Tristano
    Ornithology - Charlie Parker, Benny Harris
    Satellite - John Coltrane

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Great solo on upright bass:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Even John can't get his name spelled right.

Man, he sounds good here.

This tune has always given me fits. I'm going to try a cold take today (and post it) and prove to myself I can play it Stand by tonight for some comedy.

User Info Menu

First take this evening...well, first take without a barking dog or kids asking for a peek at the still remaining Halloween candy. I dunno. Comments and criticisms welcome!

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 11-10-2017 at 10:36 AM.

User Info Menu

A crack at the head and one chorus of aimless flailing. Feedback welcome, and as always, I'm deeply sorry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    ... Cmoments and criticisms ...
    Better than Grant Green. Very good overall. You would be welcomed in any Jazz Club gigging band.
    I've noticed some hesitation, occasionally, like waiting to hear, be sure it sounded good before continuing with the idea. On couple noodling spots I'd skip a string, or two, for wider interval.

Sent from VladanMovies @ YouTube

User Info Menu

Vladan -

You know, Jeff's done some lovely stuff in his time. It's on his YouTube channel. He could easily make a really nice CD. Like this:

Sorry, not How High The Moon.

User Info Menu

First take this evening...well, first take without a barking dog or kids asking for a peek at the still remaining Halloween candy. I dunno. Cmoments and criticisms welcome!

My "1 cent" coment,
    Jeff you are on good way to play gigs with real jazz musicians.
    I think this will be a good expieriece for you...I am still learning from playing live gigs.
    Jazzingly
    Kris
    ps.
    I like your sound very much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Crap, complete crap.

but really I think it might be CD time. I'd buy it. You've got the touch, know what I mean? Beard's coming on nicely too :-)
    Well thank you. Someday, perhaps, even if it's just little pretty solo things...
    The beard ebbs and flows, but it's "no-shave November" here, so it'll get a little "extra" this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Better than Grant Green. Very good overall. You would be welcomed in any Jazz Club gigging band.
    I've noticed some hesitation, occasionally, like waiting to hear, be sure it sounded good before continuing with the idea. On couple noodling spots I'd skip a string, or two, for wider interval.

Sent from VladanMovies @ YouTube
    Better than Grant? Get outta here! (love me some some GG) But thank you, and thanks for actually listening and noticing some stuff.

Hesitation? Definitely. I was really trying to "hear" this solo and not play licks...but I hadda wait for my ears to catch up in a few spots! Noodling? You betcha...consciously thinking about stuff like string skipping is probably a good idea--when I get into things, my inner Jerry Garcia comes out...I don't think I'll ever get rid of that completely--he's the only guitar player I ever tried to sound like, even though that was 20-odd years ago that I did.

My "1 cent" coment,
    Jeff you are on good way to play gigs with real jazz musicians.
    I think this will be a good expieriece for you...I am still learning from playing live gigs.
    Jazzingly
    Kris
    ps.
    I like your sound very much.
    Thanks Kris. I have gigged a lot...but not "real" jazz. Cocktail stuff. And solo gigs...but is that jazz? I don't really think so. And I've been on a long break, trying to get my shit together musically, and being a dad...I'd love to play with real jazz musicians...Chicago's a tough scene--guitar players are a dime a dozen, and we have some incredible ones here in town. There's very little middle ground with jazz musicians here, they either suck and don't really play jazz, or they're so damn good an amateur like me doesn't stand a chance. I keep at it though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    (Mostly) three-fingered - sounding good.

Interestingly, while I adopted the three finger left hand style out of laziness as a teenager, most of the jazz players I listened to and stole the most from were/are also 3 finger players, a fact I didn't realize until recently.

User Info Menu

Hi, here's my attempt. Painful tune to go through and somehow I kept losing it after one chorus so here's the head and one chorus. Still lots to work on and I appreciate all feedback. I would've liked to play it a little slower but I wasn't really able to make the head sound nice at a slower tempo.

User Info Menu

After hearing all the other takes on the thread, I feel a little embarrassed posting mine, but what the hell. One thing I immediately noticed is how good everybody's time is compared to mine. Really nice playing from everybody. Excited to join in next month too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pushkar000
    Hi, here's my attempt. Painful tune to go through and somehow I kept losing it after one chorus so here's the head and one chorus. Still lots to work on and I appreciate all feedback. I would've liked to play it a little slower but I wasn't really able to make the head sound nice at a slower tempo.

nice!
    interesting lines with good time!
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Interestingly, while I adopted the three finger left hand style out of laziness as a teenager, most of the jazz players I listened to and stole the most from were/are also 3 finger players, a fact I didn't realize until recently.
    Sounds like 'jazz' on a guitar to me (rather than 'guitar jazz').

User Info Menu

This tune has always given me fits.
    Me too , nice take by the way Mr B ! ,
    I think I get the two B sections mixed up
    and lose the form in my head ....

Gotta keep the tune going in my head I guess

I like how you play at the 5th fret in G
    (or the 3rd fret in F ....)
    I realised I'm quite weak in that position , uncomfortable there , I guess its
    the D shape of CAGED

Gonna shed that some more tonight
    Thanks for the inspiration man

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Me too , nice take by the way Mr B ! ,
    I think I get the two B sections mixed up
    and lose the form in my head ....

Gotta keep the tune going in my head I guess

I like how you play at the 5th fret in G
    (or the 3rd fret in F ....)
    I realised I'm quite weak in that position , uncomfortable there , I guess its
    the D shape of CAGED

Gonna shed that some more tonight
    Thanks for the inspiration man
    Thanks man, thanks everybody for the nice comments and constructive stuff. I'm clearing some listening time tonight to return the favor.

And yes, it's the two "endings," when I get to into things it's easy for me to forget where I am...It's funny, I spend a lot of time trying to "feel" tunes in larger movements, but this one benefits from going a little smaller, 2 to 4 bar chunks for me...

User Info Menu

nice!
    interesting lines with good time!
    Best
    Kris
    Thank you! Its encouraging that you say my time was good because comparing my take to yours and others here, I feel like I have too many slip-ups - still a long way to go. Well, back to the shed for now...

User Info Menu

Improvised:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    A crack at the head and one chorus of aimless flailing. Feedback welcome, and as always, I'm deeply sorry.

i like this, man...real thought given to phrasing, and great tone.

i second kris, I think your time sounds pretty damn good. Good lines, too.

User Info Menu

This is easily one of my favorite of your posts....vibe reminds me of how dawg or tony rice's groups tackle a standard. Sounds great.
    Thanks. TR did the solo on Emmylou Harris' version. I can't say it's a favorite of mine though. It's not quite 'jazz' - but maybe mine isn't either. I don't really know. What is a 'real' jazz version apart from chord melody?

Sonny Rollins did his one and there's a guitar solo by Barney Kessell which might qualify...

User Info Menu

By the way, I noticed the melody for “Call Me” fits over the first 9 bars of “How High the Moon”. Try playing HHTM over Lenny Breau’s Call Me and you’ll see what I mean. Of course the phrasing is completely different and it falls apart later where the harmony takes a different path. Plus CM has a bridge that HHTM lacks. It’s a brain bender to try to play one melody while hearing the other.
    Last edited by KirkP; 11-13-2017 at 01:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Nice job mate, we are all our own worse critics which is exactly how it should be.

If I was going to give any advice re time - and I give it only because this is what I notice in my own playing and want to work on on my own stuff - it would be try playing the melody through while counting the beat either in 4/4 or 2/2. I find that really helps me get a feel of exactly where the rhythm I'm playing sits with reference to the beat.

It would help you lock in some of those melody syncopations just a little tighter.

Be warned - though it sounds simple, it is harder to this than it sounds.

But I think you have a really nice feel naturally....

Re rhythmic phrasing and this is more a suggestion on something to stimulate creativity than feedback per se - have a go at this exercise. Try starting each phrase on the next 8th of the bar. So first phrase starts on 1, next phrase on 1+, next on 2 and so on until you are back to one. Hard to do, especially at this tempo.

I also like the Barry Harris exercise where you have this line starting on 1 and ending on 1

1 6 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
    And you take one note away while keeping the phrase end in the same place
    6 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
    7 6 5 4 3 2 1
    6 5 4 3 2 1
    etc

(You can do this with any phrase. So it's a good way to learn where all the beats and upbeats are and allows you to get more out of lines you already play.)
    Last edited by christianm77; 11-12-2017 at 07:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu

Good grief what is it with people apologising for their really nice playing haha?

'Never apologise for your playing' Duncan Lamont

That's my feedback!