Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 51 to 100 of 116

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Thanks. Playing very fast and playing very slow are both tricky and I admire your determination. Actually quite a few artists have recorded How High at a medium pace and it was a song originally, of course. But I'm sure you know all that. But all the best anyway, I'm certainly no boy racer myself :-)
    I particularly like the medium/slow version on Chet Baker's "Chet" album.

This is one of those tunes that works at a variety of tempos though...the lyrics allow for it too...it can be wistful or bubbling with the energy of love returned (if you assume that's what happens in the end). Not a lot of tunes allow for that.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I particularly like the medium/slow version on Chet Baker's "Chet" album.

This is one of those tunes that works at a variety of tempos though...the lyrics allow for it too...it can be wistful or bubbling with the energy of love returned (if you assume that's what happens in the end). Not a lot of tunes allow for that.
    What did you think of the Sonny Rollins/Barney Kessell one (once it gets off the ground!)?

User Info Menu

What did you think of the Sonny Rollins/Barney Kessell one (once it gets off the ground!)?
    Excellent, I'm admittedly a biased fan--I'll listen to anything Rollins plays...such a giant. A colossus, even.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

User Info Menu

Gramps-- people usually just post to youtube and link/embed to it here.

Folks are generally nervous viewing/downloading from external links...too many viruses out there.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

I don't think you can embed from Google Drive...YouTube's the main way of doing that.

I don't think you'll have many folks click on that link to your drive--people can upload harmful stuff (I actually literally CAN'T as I'm at work). I'm pretty confident in saying you're "legit," but that's just the way things go...too many malicious people in the cyber world.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help Mr. B. I think I have it now.

User Info Menu

There it is! Sounding good. I like how you do the melidy, and how you go after some motifs/development in the solo.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

There is a fast and optimistic version:

User Info Menu

Maybe someone will supply some constructive criticism of my post. There are so many players here that I respect.

Thanks again Mr. B.
    Last edited by Gramps; 11-15-2017 at 04:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Maybe someone will supply some constructive criticism of my post. There are so many players here that I respect.

Thanks again Mr. B.
    My 2 cents - I agree with Mr. B. Your melody is very tasteful. I think maybe I would have liked to hear another chorus of your solo. There was good motivic development but usually my personal feeling is that a solo with only melody is - albeit quite tasteful - incomplete.

For me the dream is something like your first chorus + some fast bop lines + some octave or chord playing(you had some octaves) + a little bit of blues here and there.

Edit : In your melody, I really like two points where you go down by half steps. And subconsciously, I found myself playing the same just now as I was practicing. So I owe you one!
    Last edited by pushkar000; 11-16-2017 at 05:10 AM.
    Need to practice!

User Info Menu

9th. And I have more unposted.

I do this with every tune in the Practical Standards threads. One of them I did 11, maybe more, all different.

You may be right about the 2-5-1s but if I stopped to think every time I met one I'd be a nervous wreck. The other alternative is playing known licks and I refuse to do that. But I do use a lot of syncopation, delayed notes and beats, and irregular groupings.

Basically I play the minor or substituted minor, a diatonic, altered, or substituted dom7, and a diatonic or lydian M7/6. I play what my ear tells me at the time. Non-diatonic M7s are treated as lydian. There's no set pattern.

I don't know whether what I'm playing is jazz per se, I just make music. I don't play bebop because it's too complicated and I doubt if I could do it anyway because I don't 'hear' it. I'm more emotive and lyrical than technical. That's just my style, probably from originally being a singer.
    so it is not the jazz interpratation?
    Reguraly singers just sing only the head...I think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    so it is not the jazz interpratation?
    Reguraly singers just sing only the head...I think.
    Well, I'm not a jazz singer but usually the singer sings the whole song, I think! It depends. With How High the most famous singers did a lot of scat over it (not my thing). And a lot of jazz tunes may not have too many verses (How High only has two) so there's more room for instrumentation, especially with band arrangements.

User Info Menu

SO much serious stuff happening here, wow, that is the song I love really.

Before making my own version I did my tribute to the Great Figures of Jazz. Some flaws in playing as well as in the score. Anyway I can share pdf with everyone interested. C&C welcome.

PS: This one chorus taught me a lot about triplet subdivisions if you know what I mean

User Info Menu

Well, I'm not a jazz singer but usually the singer sings the whole song, I think! It depends. With How High the most famous singers did a lot of scat over it (not my thing). And a lot of jazz tunes may not have too many verses (How High only has two) so there's more room for instrumentation, especially with band arrangements.

Ella Fitzgerald sing great head and the scat solo is fantastic.

User Info Menu

Ella Fitzgerald sing great head and the scat solo is fantastic.
    Kris, that would be a great solo on guitar. Very melodic but I'm partial to melodic and motif based solos. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Hi Gramps,
    There is another version...faster tempo and more interesting ...I think
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Kris, that would be a great solo on guitar. Very melodic but I'm partial to melodic and motif based solos. Thanks for posting.
    Steal it - '(cultural) appropriation' is how this stuff gets learned.

(I don't speak for anyone else, but my black family - generous to a fault - would approve. EDIT But they might laugh if it's crap, which is also useful to know.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    Steal it - '(cultural) appropriation' is how this stuff gets learned.

(I don't speak for anyone else, but my black family - generous to a fault - would approve. EDIT But they might laugh if it's crap, which is also useful to know.)
    I'm no stranger to "stealing" licks and phrases. As a matter of fact I'm "casing out" the lick at 17 in your video and intend to look at it closer this weekend. Then I'll try to apply it to everything I play for a couple of months until I can call it my own. Thanks for the lick.

User Info Menu

I'm no stranger to "stealing" licks and phrases. As a matter of fact I'm "casing out" the lick at 17 in your video and intend to look at it closer this weekend. Then I'll try to apply it to everything I play for a couple of months until I can call it my own. Thanks for the lick.
    Go for it! A couple of suggestions, if I might be so bold: 'syncopate the silence' between phrases - imagine drum-like fills - to refine your groove, and target certain notes to be prominent and 'pop out'.

EDIT Dizzy to Phil Woods: "You can't steal a gift - if you can hear it, it's yours." (From Gene Lees)

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips. Bold is good. (sometimes) lol

I'll play with it.

PS. I read a quote from George Benson where he said something to the extent of "If you don't want me to steal it, don't play it in front of me".

User Info Menu

I'll play with it.

PS. I read a quote from George Benson where he said something to the extent of "If you don't want me to steal it, don't play it in front of me".
    (Totally off-topic...) I remember one of my first gigs, singing with a band. My Dad marched onto the stage and shouted in my ear, (Jamaican accent) "Michael, you got to move your body!"

User Info Menu

9th. And I have more unposted.

I do this with every tune in the Practical Standards threads. One of them I did 11, maybe more, all different.
    You might consider just posting the one clip you are most proud of. If you feel your approach is valuable enough to the forum community that it requires all your clips to get your ideas across, then how about doing this in the showcase part?

User Info Menu

I'll play with it.

Someone said to me--"Don't borrow licks, steal 'em. Because when you steal something, you make it YOURS."
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

That's not why I do it. I'm not trying to 'get my ideas across', I'm simply sharing what I've done. Some people like them judging by the likes. I mean, if you find it tedious you could always just scroll past them.

Why does it bother you? Are you concerned with server space?
    Sorry for that but I think pkirk has a good idea.
    11 similar versions of the same player and the same tune?
    sorry for my 1 cent
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

I'm not so much bothered by them (I have to admit, when you first started posting in the Practical Standards threads I thought to myself "Why is he posting 7 different versions that don't sound all that different?) but I get it's kind of an "audio diary" for you, and I can respect that (I also respect anybody who plays a tune that many times, as that's how you learn a damn tune!)

But it is space consuming--it makes it much easier to miss other people's posts, who might only post once and then it gets buried. What could be cool and solve that issue is to post them all in Showcase--then post once a month in the practicial standards and keep updating your post with links to the various versions, maybe with little blurbs explaining what they are "fast version" "as a bossa" etc.

I dunno, just throwing it out there.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

Unrelated to any of the current topics of conversation in this thread, I just posted a version of There Will Never Be Another You in the appropriate, but old thread. If anyone has a spare moment...........

User Info Menu

Unrelated to any of the current topics of conversation in this thread, I just posted a version of There Will Never Be Another You in the appropriate, but old thread. If anyone has a spare moment...........
    I saw it :-)

User Info Menu

Ragman1 ...
    I record 20 versions of any tune on my comp but I would like to present here/thread/ my the best version/in my opinion/.
    ...so I critique all my work by myself and present the best one...I feel that this way of work will give motivation for another guitarists.
    can you imagine my 20 takes on this thread?
    All of these 20 takes are not bad at all...:-)
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

GOOD WORK!
    Best
    Kris
    ps.
    One chorus solo...+1...You know how many choruses of solo you can ready to play.

User Info Menu

GOOD WORK!
    Best
    Kris
    ps.
    One chorus solo...+1...You know how many choruses of solo you can ready to play.
    Thanks Kris. I'm trying to learn to walk before I run and my jazz vocabulary is limited but it's better than is was 6 months ago. Baby steps.

Thanks again for the feedback. You're not the first who commented on the shortness of my clips. As I progress I'll work on adding more ideas.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I see your point.

Are they 20 versions with the same backing, speed, rhythm, etc, or all different? Mine are all different, different speeds, different moods, different keys, reharms, and so on.
    sure...I tried different styles,tempos...etc...I like experiments.
    I feel like advanced hobbist .
    First of all I critique myself....really I do not like to hear what I am playing/I mean recorded sessions/.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

My point on ragman's work - it's better to play too much (and share it) than little or nothing and write elaborated posts instead I guess that is jazz guitar forum so the music should be present in most of the post/threads. And this IS "PRACTICAL STANDARDS" subforum so actually nobody shall be allowed to post without musical examples played by himself

And coming back to everyone asking for pdf with my Baker/Evans transciption - I will correct the flaws I noticed, smooth it out visually and post it for download in this very thread before end of next week.

User Info Menu

Ragman, not to pile on, but I have to agree with the others. It's great that you're posting and contributing to the thread, but for me the opposite extreme can be a bit exhausting. I'm not concerned about server space... I just find that it dilutes the thread and draws attention away from the contributions of other posters.

It's nice when the advanced players post a couple of versions over the course of the month showing different approaches, etc. But for guys like you and me who play at an early-intermediate-ish level, I think one representative effort for the month is usually enough. Then you get a snapshot of that person's playing and can (hopefully!) hear how they progress from month-to-month.
    Jay

'boobadoobadoobaooababop!'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    My point on ragman's work - it's better to play too much (and share it) than little or nothing and write elaborated posts instead
    Or perhaps avoid both extremes?
    Jay

'boobadoobadoobaooababop!'

User Info Menu

It can be a bit counterproductive to post so many. I find I tend to skip over ragman’s versions purely because there are so many, it puts me off somehow. Whereas I tend to listen to nearly all those who post only one or two.

User Info Menu

Very well, I am overwhelmed! So be it.

User Info Menu

As I progress I'll work on adding more ideas.
    I think if someone with your sense gets to take a longer solo, itll be just a ton of fun to listen to. But maybe you can hold on to your chops for a few months so that I can catch up!

I'm glad everybody posted their takes. Lots of things I picked up. Hopefully I don't forget them. Nice to have an active thread with some spice on the side! Spice fosters emotional investment, which brings players. Beneath it all, its a sign that we care.

Excited to hear what everybody - kris, ragman, Jehu, Gramps(welcome!), destinytot, mr. b, fuzzthebee(who deleted his account?), Tomcat(coming soon!) - has in store for next month. And if some of the other cool cats on here decided to join in, I wouldn't mind.

Of course, if you don't want it stolen, then don't let me hear it. You have been duly warned.
    Need to practice!

User Info Menu

My point on ragman's work - it's better to play too much (and share it) than little or nothing and write elaborated posts instead I guess that is jazz guitar forum so the music should be present in most of the post/threads. And this IS "PRACTICAL STANDARDS" subforum so actually nobody shall be allowed to post without musical examples played by himself

And coming back to everyone asking for pdf with my Baker/Evans transciption - I will correct the flaws I noticed, smooth it out visually and post it for download in this very thread before end of next week.
    You are right !
    May be it is time for me to leave the Forum.
    Good Luck
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pushkar000 View Post
    ... fuzzthebee(who deleted his account?)...
    ?!!!
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    ?!!!
    Fuzzthebee has gone. He no longer exists. It's a fact, there's no trace of him left.

Shame, I liked him.

User Info Menu

Best wishes to fuzzthebee, always buzzing 'in the zone':

User Info Menu

You are right !
    May be it is time for me to leave the Forum.
    Good Luck
    Best
    Kris
    Kris, I've been lurking on this site for years. After joining I realized I should keep my mouth shut and ears open because there is a wealth of knowledge being shared and your contributions are always an inspiration to me. You should do what is best for you but I hope you reconsider.

User Info Menu

Ha! I'm posting one mid-month for a change (rather than being late)!

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...0Moon%2000.mp3

I think Gramps beat me to the chordal interpretation of the head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster View Post

Nice playing and a very good quality recording.
    Guitar sounds very clear and jazzy warm.Nice to hear...
    Best
    Kris
    have you more takes?

User Info Menu

... the chordal interpretation of the head.
    That chordal part is real piece of beauty.
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

Gramps may have played the CM head but not with that harmonic richness. Great job.

Edit:I just listened 4 or 5 more times. Really nice.
    Last edited by Gramps; 11-18-2017 at 07:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Love the chordal intro M-ster! Great swing, I doubt now if I should post my version but.... never mind.
    It's a pity you decided to continue with those lame midi sounds

So here it goes:

User Info Menu

Love the chordal intro M-ster! Great swing, I doubt now if I should post my version but.... never mind.
    It's a pity you decided to continue with those lame midi sounds

So here it goes:
    Sounds OK and nice playing.Comping for my taste is a very simple...sugest more chord voicing,more walking bass with chords.
    kris
    Ps.
    Tomcat,
    I sugest to you made studio recording for free with not so "lame midi sounds"...I mean recordings with bass and drums.
    Last edited by kris; 11-20-2017 at 04:21 AM.

User Info Menu

As Usual, M-Ster, your version reflects your love of jazz guitar and is always very tasty and a treat for my old ears.

wiz (Howie).
    Howie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739 View Post
    As Usual, M-Ster, your version reflects your love of jazz guitar and is always very tasty and a treat for my old ears.

wiz (Howie).
    Thanks, Howie, you're too kind.