The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Our standard for Oct 2017 will be St. Louis Blues - by W.C. Handy (1914).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (St Louis Blues)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ah, yes. To tango or not to tango, that's the question :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Ah, yes. To tango or not to tango, that's the question :-)
    Ala Dave Brubeck? I like the tango on the middle section. Might go there!

User Info Menu

First section finished, little improv and I need to work with the rest of the song.

User Info Menu

My interpretation of this standard (unknown until now for me), I like the rhythm changes between blues and that spanish tinge that I do not understand yet. Greetings and thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chismes
    that spanish tinge that I do not understand yet.
    In its simplest form it's this. Originally Spanish but popularised in Cuba.

User Info Menu

I quite like this by Bill Frisell.

User Info Menu

I sure do too. Bill has such a wonderful way of getting to the essence....

User Info Menu

... I decided a slower version was best.
    St. Louis Blues - the ballad! (Wherza vocals?)

User Info Menu

Well, then. Back to the woodshed for me!

User Info Menu

I found this in my circumlocutions. A wonderfully suave and handsome Louis Armstrong with a great clarinettist and trombonist, conducted by an equally youthful and energetic Leonard Bernstein.

And there, in the front row, Mr. W.C. Handy himself wiping tears from his eyes as his dreams of success are realised. Unmissable.

User Info Menu

I’ve always thought of this as a gimmicky novelty tune. But after listening to a bunch of recordings, Billie Holiday’s seems the most inspiring. She dispenses with the Habanero interlude and just sings it from the heart. I’ll see if I can come up with something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    I’ve always thought of this as a gimmicky novelty tune. But after listening to a bunch of recordings, Billie Holiday’s seems the most inspiring. She dispenses with the Habanero interlude and just sings it from the heart. I’ll see if I can come up with something.
    She does the minor part but it's not noticeably tangoesque. And I don't know who penned the last verse. It's as though it had to end on a positive note, no puns intended.

Looking forward to your version :-)

User Info Menu

Here’s W.C. Handy playing his tune on Ed Sullivan in 1949 at a slow tempo.

User Info Menu

Yes, I've seen it. Did you notice that C to Cm in bar 5? And they do the tango rhythm. It's probably what makes it, that and the upbeat last two verses after the minor section.

User Info Menu

Yes, I've seen it. Did you notice that C to Cm in bar 5? And they do the tango rhythm. It's probably what makes it, that and the upbeat last two verses after the minor section.
    IV major to minor going back to the I sounds old fashioned, but I often use that device. Note that Cmin6 = G9 (rootless), so that’s a possible sub.
    The most fun version I’ve heard is Art Tatum’s — especially the second half.

User Info Menu

Yes, I like the way the music starts before the record starts turning - BUT it finishes when the record stops... it's a mystery! I hear what you say about the Cm (or m6) - me too - but I'm thinking it was unusual for a blues of that type at that time. Could be wrong.

And, yes, it is fun :-)

User Info Menu

This will be my only input for October (very busy right now) I was aiming the version at a jazzy, bluesey version. It is 3 choruses with an 8 bar intro and a standard ending. I'm having some problems with an enemy of mine (Arthur Itus). Hopefully, next month will be better.

Howie

https://app.box.com/s/h4b43jkr5goq90m6pm8jw1ab0w9xjng2

User Info Menu

Hmm ... More than 2 weeks late, but here's my take:

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...Blues%2001.mp3

User Info Menu

Nice, M-ster, as usual. Interesting double-stops going on in the last verse. Got the feet tapping

User Info Menu

Damn, M-ster, good stuff. Is that a tele in the middle position, perchance?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Damn, M-ster, good stuff. Is that a tele in the middle position, perchance?
    Ha! Hmm, well, it's an Epi Byrdland Elitist on the neck pickup, but it's direct into the PC. It probably has some low end rolled off and a smidge of saturation applied, just so it doesn't sound so naked.

Apparently I over-processed it, if it no longer sounds like an archtop?

User Info Menu

Ha, way off! I thought I could here a bit of high end twang in there that said "tele", but I guess that must be coming from somewhere else.

Either way, sounds great and great playing as always.