The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Our standard for Aug 2017 will be The Man I Love - by George & Ira Gershwin (1924).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (The Man I Love)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is one of my Wifes' old favorites. It's a very nice old ballad.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    This is one of my Wifes' old favorites. It's a very nice old ballad.

wiz (Howie)
    I hope you post something featuring her (Colleen, right?) vocals, Howie. Who recorded her favorite vocal version?

User Info Menu

Hello M-ster,

Actually, Colleen temporarily lost her ability to sing a couple of years ago but she is almost fully recovered from her illness and would like to sing "The Man I Love" as part of the August forum submittal. Her favorite version was a Sarah Vaughan version.
    My new Focusrite 2i4 (2nd Gen) unit should be here today or tomorrow and my home recording system should be up and running very soon.

Wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

I liked the Etta James recording, from what I've checked out so far. Blues-ish.

Good luck with the new system!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Your intro/theme would work also in strict time. Could you do it? I mean, I'd love it, download and everything.

User Info Menu

That was great, M-ster, I did like that. Of course, you do proper jazz. My stuff's just adapted folk or something :-)

Didn't anybody like that singer at the start of the video? Good verson. And it just happened to be there completely by chance when I turned it on. Amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    M-ster: I really like this version, so clean and very expressive!

BTW, the Scarlett 2i4 is great, much better than my previous interface and I am able to record now!

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Two definite vocals and the "master" weaving his magic through some interesting methods of key changes !

User Info Menu

This version is so good that I had to post it! It has a great guitar rhythm part but the total arrangement, wow!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

This is my first time to use my new Home Recording Studio. This is my attempt to make a bluesey version of "The Man I Love". I put it in the key of F with three choruses, an 8 bar intro and a simple ending. The backing track was made with Real Tracks from Band In A Box. I'm working on a version in Ab for my wife to sing.

best wishes,
    wiz (Howie)

https://app.box.com/s/vyzd2fu0u4025r3q1pxt9o4mrox4ob5l
    Last edited by wizard3739; 08-19-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added a link

User Info Menu

love it, wiz

User Info Menu

Ran it down with trio a few times a couple days ago. our drummer has been really sounding good to me recently

I don't really get the tune yet, though. I'm not sure it will make it
    into the rotation, the changes are a bit weird, no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    This I my first time to use my new Home Recording Studio. This is my attempt to make a bluesey version of "The Man I Love" ...
    Sounds like you have it all working, Howie! Like your tone.

User Info Menu

That was excellent, pk, held me for the whole 8 mins, no prob. I think you should definitely stick it on your list. You've certainly got enough of the tune to count. Doesn't have to be exact anyway. And very nice playing too from all three of you.

I thought the changes were weird too till I got used to them. They fit the tune okay, though, which I suppose is the basic point.

User Info Menu

Rhythm guitar ...

User Info Menu

Vladan -

Are you going to use that as a backing track? Put some bass on and I think it would work.

Nice to see you with a guitar again

User Info Menu

Thank you ragman1.
    Also Thanks to trevorS and joe2758 for liking it, as well for all of you who will like it, or not, even hated it, as long as you've listened and watched.

Yes, I thought about overdubbing, but this was without click track, and it clips often because I plugged FX box directly into mic in of this lap top. I gave my usual USB mixer to a friend to fix some broom and hum, but in the meantime he became unavailable because, guess what, if you were wrong about me, about him you would not be ...
    i have even better recording rig on an old XP desktop, but that one has no camera ... and my *travel HD* with all the driving clips I could use is at the office .... so ... maybe in a week, or two .... unless I just do it no matter if clipping and out of tempo ... or I'll wait for electronic drums ...

User Info Menu

Just noticed I never posted the "full" version here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Just noticed I never posted the "full" version here.

is it Jazz Forum or it was Jazz Forum?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    is it Jazz Forum or it was Jazz Forum?
    You think my version was not even Fusion enough for the forum?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    You think my version was not even Fusion enough for the forum?
    NO...it is a very sad track...for me too sad...

User Info Menu

I didn’t find it sad - that whammy bar melody brightened up my day no end, it was oddly endearing.

All these hip jazz guys like Julian Lage seem to be playing rocky stuff on a telecaster these days, maybe Vladan is hipper than the rest of us!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I didn’t find it sad - that whammy bar melody brightened up my day no end, it was oddly endearing.

All these hip jazz guys like Julian Lage seem to be playing rocky stuff on a telecaster these days, maybe Vladan is hipper than the rest of us!
    Maybe...
    but his stuff is too difficult and sad for me without the bottle of vodka.