The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Our standard for June 2017 will be Sweet Georgia Brown - by Ben Bernie, Ken Casey, and Maceo Pinkard (1925).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Sweet Georgia Brown)

(Yeah, yeah, Harlem Globetrotters, I know ... )

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What key? Most recordings I found were in Ab. Realbook is in F. What do most do with this?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Me and my friend Chris always played it in F. I'm sure he nicked a few ideas from Doc Watson.

which means I can't pretend I invented that nice little end lick :-)

User Info Menu

Took the day off work for my son's preschool graduation, sat outside in the sun all day, drank a bunch of wine. Somewhere in there, I did this.

Don't drink and swang, kids.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Geechnyc
    Nice ideas especially in the second solo chorus!

We did SGB last year and I'm looking to bring it back in soon (and maybe have something to say in such a second chorus), since the bass player really likes it.

Thanks. It's actually not that easy a tune to play. It ought to be but it's not. I think that's why a lot of players resort to good old licks&tricks like pull-offs/open strings, patterns, etc etc. And at speed they might have a point.

(Oh, I was just listening to your Soundcloud version and that's a #11 at the end. Mmm!).

Here's something. 'Dig' is a contrafact of SGB. Listen to Sonny Rollins play those lines!

Last edited by ragman1; 06-01-2017 at 09:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Took the day off work for my son's preschool graduation, sat outside in the sun all day, drank a bunch of wine. Somewhere in there, I did this.

Way to go!

Jkniff26 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

I was working late and heard some guitar playing coming from my pocket. Pulled out my phone and there you were on my screen. Sounds nice ,but seeing you was a little creepy since i didn't even have the app open. Does sound real nice though. Butt dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here's my take

User Info Menu

I expected a gypsy jazz take, but, hmm ... 7?

User Info Menu

1 less 8th note to worry about

User Info Menu

Have we had this disgraceful demonstration yet? Man's an animal :-)

User Info Menu

Talent and class here (and vintage sunglasses)

Last edited by gcb; 06-04-2017 at 01:02 PM.

User Info Menu

My take of this standard and helped by the beginning of the version of Benny Goodman.

Last edited by chismes; 06-05-2017 at 03:01 PM.

User Info Menu

It helps to get some horsepower in the rhythm section.

User Info Menu

That could go viral!!

Brilliant, thanks

music video of the year :-)

User Info Menu

I got all the musical quotes too, must be getting old :-)

User Info Menu

At last, a drummer with perfect tempo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    At last, a drummer with perfect tempo
    But who has the best groove, Ford or Massey Ferguson?

User Info Menu

John Deere, of course. The Poppin' Johnny really grooves.

User Info Menu

There would probably be fewer mistakes if I had recorded it this morning after breakfast and coffee - as opposed to recording it last night after going out to dinner. Seemed like a fine idea at the time...

User Info Menu

It was odd*. But mine's odder because it's monotonous...

I mean, being odd's okay except when it becomes the norm, till then you're okay. But it's no substitute for good music, naturally.

It's interesting, there's a fine line between odd and good. Pushing the boat out is good, being too weird isn't. Listening to some avant-garde stuff, it's not odd, it's serious, it just about stays this side of odd. How they do it is a mystery.

But I ramble... more than usual.

Actually that solo was just a pretty bland bossa thing before I changed the backing. I'm tempted to include it for comparison's sake. What does yours sound like with the usual changes?

* nicely played, though, let's be fair!