The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Our standard for May 2017 will be Honeysuckle Rose - by Fats Waller/Andy Razaf (1929).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Honeysuckle Rose)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Might give this standard a try. I really have to commit to learning more tunes and it would be great to get some feedback on my playing.

User Info Menu

I won't be late this time. I have been playing this tune for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

If this works, here is a Spotify playlist with some nice versions, as recommended by the jazzstandards.com page.
    Honeysuckle Rose on Spotify

User Info Menu

I've played it 40 years ago...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I've played it 40 years ago...
    And it was almost 50 years old then!

User Info Menu

For me, I would say it's less the chords (I mean, the whole A section is pretty much in F) and more the style...this is a SWING tune, through and through, so my usual approach might not work...or will it? Who cares, it'll be fun!

User Info Menu

I had a lot of trouble with it. It wasn't only the style, something about the chords themselves irritated me. It was all a bit strange. Just when you thought it was finished, it wasn't!

To be honest, if you'd heard the original of my first one at the recorded speed it was all rather ballad-y. Then I thought it was boring and not quite right so I hit the speed button and that seemed to work.

But I'm not good anyway at these 'happy-happy' sort of songs, they've no depth. Great in a club where people are high on partying but not just to listen to as such. I kept hearing dinky-dinky-doo, dinky-dinky-doo, and it all got a bit much!

Mind you, it doesn't have to be done that way. Destinytot's version is very good and here's Ben Webster lushing it up...

Anyway, as an act of rebellion, that #2 version is as non-happy-happy as I could make it!

It's the structure of nearly every Beatles tune ever written: schmaltzy with a bluesy middle eight or vice versa. It's about contrast. If it sounds too "sweet", that's kind of the point isn't it? Word painting. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    It's the structure of nearly every Beatles tune ever written: schmaltzy with a bluesy middle eight or vice versa.
    Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

goes off to write famous song...

User Info Menu

But we mustn't blame the tune. If we were m-u-c-h better it could sound like this!

Last edited by ragman1; 05-04-2017 at 06:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Here is my Honey.
    Found a backing track on Youtube, happened to be gypsy.
    So I played on a very well (mis)used steelstring Suzuki cowboy guitar with too high strings.
    Fun to play that gypsy music, I must say.

Hans

User Info Menu

I link to this cut from my forthcoming album 'Balagan Cafe Band - the horrendous all consuming money pit' (working title.)

Dropbox - 12_Honeysuckle Rose (M).m4a

One for the purists.

User Info Menu

He Christian,

I like it!
    Liked when the double bass played with the bow.
    Good listening and interaction.
    Thanks.

Hans

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hatim
    He Christian,

I like it!
    Liked when the double bass played with the bow.
    Good listening and interaction.
    Thanks.

Hans
    Cheers! It's a cello actually, which is why the bowing sounds good haha

User Info Menu

"You're confection, goodness knows ..."

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...0Rose%2000.mp3

User Info Menu

Here goes mine. I found it more fun to do the backing track than the guitar track. I love this song and your interpretations are of a great level and very instructive to be able to hear them. A greeting.

Last edited by chismes; 05-15-2017 at 04:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster

I meant to say I really enjoyed that one. There's some lovely runs in there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster

Top notch, very nice version! M-ster, I believe you have reached a level where you have your own recognizable style with beautiful, well-connected lines, great tone, good chord choices and thoughtful approach to the songs
    that we all do. This version is a pleasure to listen to.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Thanks, Howie! Very kind.

User Info Menu

Once again, I was too busy (lazy) to record a version of HS Rose in a timely fashion... Recently though, I discovered a cool version of it, (thanks to a post from Dutchbopper), which I thought I'd share. Django Reinhardt playing electric guitar w/Duke Ellington: