The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 96 of 96
    Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Man this song is too much for me. I learnt some Lester, some Trane, some Clifford and Wynton. I learnt at a pretty deep level with so much intense listening that their expression and tone are so wonderful. I also learnt I need to get back to being me mor, writing and playing stuff not so beyond my ability. Has been an intense 3 weeks those guys above are so amazing, the feel and original ideas they bring to the melody every note has a wow factor.

Hats off to you guys that are getting something down and putting it out there. Maybe I missed the boat as month 1 and 2 were more achievable and next month I will be without guitar for two weeks, hoping in May I can at least get the head down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that probably the most difficult aspect of this tune is the phrasing, especially the disparity between any kind of chart and recorded versions. It has a lot of space and is hard to nail down.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is my input for March. The backing track is a "realtracks" jazz piano Trio from BIAB. This version includes the verse and three choruses. I took a few liberties with the verse and the first chorus and the rest is improvised. As usual for me, I did this one by ear. I tried to stick to a ballad approach and the song was difficult for me to arrange. I have played it many times for my wife while she was still able to perform but not for the past 2 years. This song is one of our favorite ballads.

wiz (Howie)

https://app.box.com/s/vade1fpas6e2730fc9ck4b005wvpamcy

User Info Menu

Still "living" with this tune, still loving it.

Really just needed to learn the words and sing it for me to internalize it, now it seems completely logical.

I also think, after listening to many versions, there's a lot of leeway in the melody. There's parts you gotta play right, and others that are very open to interpretation. Another reason this tune is so cool.

User Info Menu

I'm listening to a lot of versions of this great tune, and really enjoying it.

Folks may be interested in the 1-hour radio biopic of Carmichael, including a lot of of material about Stardust. (That mostly starts around 18:00).
    Hoagy Carmichael: 'Stardust Melodies' : NPR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dingusmingus
    I'm listening to a lot of versions of this great tune, and really enjoying it.

Folks may be interested in the 1-hour radio biopic of Carmichael, including a lot of of material about Stardust. (That mostly starts around 18:00).
    Hoagy Carmichael: 'Stardust Melodies' : NPR
    Wonderful! Thank you for that.

User Info Menu

So here is a trivia question about Hoagy, (I will be very impressed if anyone get's this without Google): What Television Show was Hoagy a regular on? Hint: it was filmed in black and white, and one of the Co-Stars went on to play a Dr. in another show.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzthebee
    Not sure about the show you're referring to, but he was on The Flintstones, as 'Stoney Carmichael'.
    He was the Cook on Laramie when it first came out, Co-Staring Robert Fuller, who later became a Dr. on "Emergency" How about that!

User Info Menu

Here is my take:

This was fun, good choice.

User Info Menu

Just an FYI

Jim Campilongo has a Stardust chord melody lesson on his site. It is comprised of several audio files and a Ted Greene style chord grid. Though Jim's sheet(s) have his own unique nomenclature. He walks you through the chord melody chord by chord then the melody itself and finally some ideas for improvising over the changes. I bought the lesson before this thread and am enjoying it. Perhaps a little pricey though at $30.
    Last edited by alltunes; 04-04-2017 at 10:00 AM.

User Info Menu

I've decided I want to get together some recordings, so I'll be participating in this fine institution. (I'm a little late to this one!)

No improv on this one, just a simple chord melody of the tune. Thanks all!

Last edited by dingusmingus; 04-04-2017 at 09:45 PM.

User Info Menu

"The hurrier I go, the behinder I get ..."

Here's my March track - only a month late!

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...0Dust%2000.mp3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get ..."

Here's my March track - only a month late!

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...0Dust%2000.mp3
    Excellent m-ster, really enjoyed that, very nice solo too.

User Info Menu

Luvly. Nice backing too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzthebee
    Yes. Was it inspired by the George Benson version?
    Yes, some of the phrasing in the verse and some of the solo section changes, in particular.

User Info Menu

Hey M-Ster

You are not the only one that is one month behind.

Star dust

This song was deceptively tricky but I am glad I learned it

User Info Menu

Hey M-ster, This one was definitely worth the wait. As usual, this is a beautiful version of a great old standard. Good groove, great tone, wonderful flowing lines, good choice of voicings and so nice to listen to. I had to listen to it several times to fully appreciate the sounds. BTW, I am also late with a version of "Willow".

wiz (Howie)
    Last edited by wizard3739; 04-30-2017 at 11:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Hey M-ster, This one was definitely worth the wait. As usual, this is a beautiful version of a great old standard. Good groove, great tone, wonderful flowing lines, good choice of voicings and so nice to listen to. I had to listen to it several times to fully appreciate the sounds. BTW, I am also late with a version of "Willow".

wiz (Howie)
    Thanks, Howie. (Apparently we need to get it together, with respect to our tardiness! )

User Info Menu

OK it's horrendously late, but it took so much effort to learn this tune (and do a video) that I'm going to post it anyway. Incidentally I found the Barry Harris sixth/diminished chord moves came in very useful on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    OK it's horrendously late, but it took so much effort to learn this tune (and do a video) that I'm going to post it anyway. Incidentally I found the Barry Harris sixth/diminished chord moves came in very useful on this one.

Great version graham. Really branching out more with the solo guitar with this one. Great tone and playing as always. Loved the intro-quote in you're ending. Congrats.

User Info Menu

Thanks Matt! Yes I'm doing a lot more solo stuff now, I'm really enjoying it. I like the 'arranging' aspect. Using the intro again seemed like a nice way to put an ending on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Nice, Graham! Well done. Like your tone, as always, and I enjoyed the added ending.

(Ha! And I see I'm making the same comments that Matt made ... )