The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 96

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Thank you Jeff. I liked yor version, too. Seems you have defined "Own Style v. 2.1.0.1", one should never stop searching, but some things are better if man settle down.
    I've been very "folky" lately...too much acoustic guitar and open strings, maybe

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Would that be sheep?

(Just my silly joke)
    Ah, good that it's silly, because I don't get it. I mean, I can imagine couple of things, but don't belive you meant any of those.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Ah, good that it's silly, because I don't get it. I mean, I can imagine couple of things, but don't belive you meant any of those.
    Sorry! You wrote background as baa, which is the sound sheep make... I just thought of lots of sheep making background noise when you were recording... I didn't mean your music sounded like sheep!

it probably wasn't that funny :-)
    Last edited by ragman1; 03-12-2017 at 01:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I've been very "folky" lately...
    I thought that but I don't think it matters. It's a mood thing really...

User Info Menu

I found this. Quite nice. The pianist is Freddie Johnson

User Info Menu

I don't see that kind of notation as a set-in-stone chart, it's just a guide. You play it how you feel. No one sings or plays it strict quarter-notes, it would be ghastly!
    IMHO, for those of you who don't enjoy using the Real Book charts, you should remember that most musicians consider those charts are fake book charts and should normally be used as reference material. You would do to better to listen to a version you really like, analyze what your ear tells about the tune and make your own version of the song based on what you hear.

wiz

User Info Menu

Coleman Hawkins and Django did a nice version together (and Stephane Grappelli played the piano).

See where you're going wrong guys, it should be a foxtrot!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Stephane Grappelli's a nice piano player!

User Info Menu

Spent two weeks hangin with Coltrane on this. Has been a beautiful experience but I can't get past the 30 second mark. Going to visit Wynton Marsalis tonight to hear if I can get this head down and post something! Might drop by Coleman Hawkins or Lester Young on the way man the month is halfway over.

User Info Menu

I often find the "Anthologie des Grilles de Jazz" comes closest to the way I hear the harmony on many standards. That seems to be the case for Stardust. Here's an excerpt, in Db. I'll probably load these changes in iReal, then tweak them to make them my own (while respecting the original melody). Once they're in iReal, transposing to any key is trivially easy. I have a bit more work ahead before I can post a recording.

Note that B9 without the root is Gbm6, so you can play either in bars 3, 4 & 26 of the chorus.
    Last edited by KirkP; 03-18-2017 at 01:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, inspired by a lot of thumbing these days...here's a Wes inspired-via Emily take on our tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    I often find the "Anthologie des Grilles de Jazz" comes closest to the way I hear the harmony on many standards. That seems to be the case for Stardust. Here's an excerpt, in Db. I'll probably load these changes in iReal, then tweak them to make them my own (while respecting the original melody). Once they're in iReal, transposing to any key is trivially easy. I have a bit more work ahead before I can post a recording.

Note that B9 without the root is Gbm6, so you can play either in bars 3, 4 & 26 of the chorus.
    Don't you think the 7M is confusing? Should it be M7?

User Info Menu

Brazilians seem to do this as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Brazilians seem to do this as well.
    Syntax as style.

User Info Menu

Ugh, yes, I HATE that.

I like the grilles "blocks" though, makes tunes very easy to subdivide into 4 and 8 bar phrases visually. Fun for situations where im jamming on tunes you don't really know.

User Info Menu

Ugh, yes, I HATE that.
    Sure - but is 7M actually confusing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Not a huge deal in context, in a functional tune, but I'm generally of the delta and minus school of chart writing. Handwritten M''s and m''s don't make anything easier.

User Info Menu

Not a huge deal in context, in a functional tune, but I'm generally of the delta and minus school of chart writing. Handwritten M''s and m''s don't make anything easier.
    I agree.

For many years, I made a point of never, ever using a chord chart or printed lyrics - and I have a friend here whom I wouldn't gig with for precisely this 'crutch'. As she's a friend, and she hasn't gigged since having here second child, she gets a 'pass' from me on her return next month.

But I regret extending that pass to players who - despite having often played the same old standards in the same old keys from the same chord charts - are lost without them.

Written arrangements obviously warrant reading - but I believe even these ought to be memorised PDQ (unless the player simply has too many musical projects on the go for this to be a reasonable proposition).

If 'we are what we repeatedly do', symbols like 'M7' (sic) - a sign, perhaps, of inevitable first-language interference in the context of cross-cultural exchange and cooperation - are benign.

Not so the chord charts themselves - which I see as an obstacle to the above, and to the proliferation of which I have contributed. No more.... no más... (Cue humorous song)
    Last edited by destinytot; 03-19-2017 at 11:26 AM.

User Info Menu

When I was a kid I was told minus was for flat five (+ for #5), so there it is, confusion. I'm for "deta", or "Maj" and minor is "m". Majors in capitals, minrs in lower case don't hurt.

If 'we are what we repeatedly do', symbols like 'M7' (sic) - a sign, perhaps, of inevitable first-language interference in the context of cross-cultural exchange and cooperation - are benign.
    After all these years, whenever I see Bb and B I have to translatethem to B & H before I can play them.

User Info Menu

On a handwritten grid C7M for C major 7th is less likely to be confused with Cm7 for C minor 7th.

User Info Menu

Man this song is too much for me. I learnt some Lester, some Trane, some Clifford and Wynton. I learnt at a pretty deep level with so much intense listening that their expression and tone are so wonderful. I also learnt I need to get back to being me mor, writing and playing stuff not so beyond my ability. Has been an intense 3 weeks those guys above are so amazing, the feel and original ideas they bring to the melody every note has a wow factor.

Hats off to you guys that are getting something down and putting it out there. Maybe I missed the boat as month 1 and 2 were more achievable and next month I will be without guitar for two weeks, hoping in May I can at least get the head down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Man this song is too much for me.
    Hey, no, it's not!

Listen to it as a song, okay? The lyrics break it up into phrases and tell you where the break-points are - and you just connect the phrases. That's all you have to do.

Maybe the hardest bit (from the score) are the run-downs that begin with a eighth-note rest because the notes don't hit the chord tones the way you'd expect -

March 2017 - Star Dust-1-jpg
    March 2017 - Star Dust-2-jpg

so ignore it and just play something you can manage. Really. It doesn't matter! It's only a bit of fun!

(edit)

Hell, if Bob Dylan can do it so can you! :-)
    Last edited by ragman1; 03-21-2017 at 09:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Funny coincidence, i just did this the other day without even realizing it was this month's tune here!
    Stardust 2017

User Info Menu

dogletnoir -

That was good, nice and dreamy... the hardest bit is playing the tune, the soloing's easy, just follow the chords. Tell gggomez!