The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 96

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hatim
    Played it a bit dixie to make it as simple as possible to my ears
    It crossed my mind to do that too, to give it some rhythm, but I found it didn't make a lot of difference soloing. Apparently it was originally written in D but I don't think that would have changed anything much either.

I think really the only way to get it is to completely internalise it and know it backwards, sideways, every which way.
    Last edited by ragman1; 03-08-2017 at 05:55 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, if you go by the Real Book chart (I haven't searched out the original sheet music yet) the way that first line is played as 2 bars of quarters and a whole note is kinda...boring.

I much prefer what I hear Nat do...and Trane...and Willie...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Really easy to lose yourself in the form on this one , especially the way it's phrased in the great recorded versions. A lot of subbing-in of triplet phrasing which basically rushes things ahead to a degree where it's easy to get lost. Dropping beats or half measures is pretty easy to do in solo versions.

One of the hardest tunes to play straight from the real book for sure. Speaking of which, it's almost scandalous how horrible the real book version of this tune is. I assumed it to be just the original old fashioned basic version , but then someone posted Hoagy Carmichael's original sheet on this in another thread recently. It's actually much hipper than the real book . I don't understand how you can actually make something that old LESS hip, but they accomplished it. :-)
    Can you link to the chart?

Frickin despise the real book.

User Info Menu

I just learned Willie's version by ear. Nice simple chords. This will be the basis of my take.

This song really is THAT good. Gonna keep it in G, I think that's a good key for guitar (and for my voice on this one...not that you're gonna hear me sing!)

User Info Menu

Learning Clifford Browns version. Man this head requires time I still cannot sing it. I get lost after about 12 bars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well, if you go by the Real Book chart (I haven't searched out the original sheet music yet) the way that first line is played as 2 bars of quarters and a whole note is kinda...boring.

I much prefer what I hear Nat do...and Trane...and Willie...
    I don't see that kind of notation as a set-in-stone chart, it's just a guide. You play it how you feel. No one sings or plays it strict quarter-notes, it would be ghastly!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I'll report back here in the year 3250 when I've finally learned the melody to this song.
    Yeah, I did the lazy "put the lead sheet on the music stands and read the tune down" thing at a trio rehearsal, but the result was lame, I'll spare you all the pain of listening. This tune demands some effort to turn it into music. Since Mster took over as the taskmaster he's given us a few challenges.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I don't see that kind of notation as a set-in-stone chart, it's just a guide. You play it how you feel. No one sings or plays it strict quarter-notes, it would be ghastly!
    Well, depends on the tune.

User Info Menu

Ok, here's my first pass...key of G. Didn't consult a chart, just went with Willie Nelson and took a few liberties...and added a bar or so when I fucked up. Just melody so far, keeping it simple and folky, seems to me as i listen to more and more versions of this tune on the YT those who attempt to "hip it up" miss the point entirely.

Anyway, I'll post another in a week or so, I'm completely enamored with this tune.

User Info Menu

First to say, with all the respect to M-Ster, I preferred the old format of the thread, where we were given the chart to work from. What I did not like then, was the fact that very few people actually worked from it, but whatever.

After reading all previous posts, I simply have to find that Realbook version and play it as close to "as written" as possible.

Edit: In fact, I will not, because Hatim already did it.
    Last edited by Vladan; 03-07-2017 at 09:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan

Edit: In fact, I will not, because Hatim already did it.
    Oh, go on, it's only a toon :-)

and it's good for your s-o-u-l!

March 2017 - Star Dust-stardust-340-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm finding more and more to quickly internalize a song, it's better if I learn it by ear. The process is longer, but by the time I'm done, I actually "know" the tune.

Ok, here's my first pass...key of G. [/url]
    btw. Nearly snorted whatever I was drinking yesterday when this title popped up in my YouTube notifications. Nice title. :-)

User Info Menu

It was this version of the great Stardust that turned me on to Jazz at the tender age of 16, 50 years ago. I still have the now well worn album. Listen out for Barney Kessell on guitar.

Peejay.

User Info Menu

Here is mine with impro.
    I keep hearing that old swing in the song so I played my old acoustic (and played lots of triads).

p.s. M-ster, I hope you realise what an effect you have on us. Me, waking up in the middle of the night for a p and...there's is Stardust again in my head.

Hans

User Info Menu

The RB chart based on someone's transcription of Coltrane's version is flakey. Although the original chart is in D, Dick Hyman, the NRB and the Colorado Cookbook all have lead sheets in Db, which actually lays pretty well on guitar. All three have very similar harmonies, the main differences being enharmonic spellings. Ralph Patt gives a simpler harmonization in C without the intro (verse).

Here's how I analysed it based on the Colorado changes:

VERSE:

I | IV7 | III7 | VI7 | ii / V7 | iii / vi | bv / VII7 | ii / V7 |
    I | IV7 | III7 | VI7 | ii / V7 | iii / vi | ii / V7 | I / I7 |

REFRAIN:
    ||: IV | IV | iv(maj7) | iv / bVII7 | I | iii / VI7 | ii / VI7 | ii |
    (1st :) V7 | ii / V7 | I / ii | iii / vi | II7 | vi / II7 | V7 / ii | V7 / bV7 | (d.c.)
    (2nd:) iv | bVII7 | I / vi | iii / VI7 | ii | V7 | I | (v / I7) :||

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    The RB chart based on someone's transcription of Coltrane's version is flakey. Although the original chart is in D, Dick Hyman, the NRB and the Colorado Cookbook all have lead sheets in Db, which actually lays pretty well on guitar. All three have very similar harmonies, the main differences being enharmonic spellings. Ralph Patt gives a simpler harmonization in C without the intro (verse).

Here's how I analysed it based on the Colorado changes:

VERSE:

I | IV7 | III7 | VI7 | ii / V7 | iii / vi | bv / VII7 | ii / V7 |
    I | IV7 | III7 | VI7 | ii / V7 | iii / vi | ii / V7 | I / I7 |

REFRAIN:
    ||: IV | IV | iv(maj7) | iv / bVII7 | I | iii / VI7 | ii / VI7 | ii |
    (1st V7 | ii / V7 | I / ii | iii / vi | II7 | vi / II7 | V7 / ii | V7 / bV7 | (d.c.)
    (2nd iv | bVII7 | I / vi | iii / VI7 | ii | V7 | I | (v / I7) :||
    Yeah these are the vanilla changes as I know them.

User Info Menu

Oh I have been transcribing Coltrane I thought was Eb am I horribly wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

we freak out a bit at the end.
    Last edited by pkirk; 03-08-2017 at 11:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Finally, I got to play it. Basic scatch, a single chorus of melody, unplugged Squier Tele, with severe heavy noise reduction and EQ ...

VladanMovies & CCC - Car Camera Clips: sky Blast (Stardust)

User Info Menu

Vladan -

I really liked that! No overdrive but we can't have everything :-)

Btw, what's the black strip covering?

User Info Menu

Like your take a lot Vladan! Nice sense of space, and some blusiness...

Finally got around to the verse. Next step is actually blowing on it:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Vladan -

I really liked that! No overdrive but we can't have everything :-)

Btw, what's the black strip covering?
    Thank you ragman1, I enjoyed couple of your versions.

Overdrive I passed on to my little girl who just discovered how much better her Smoke on The Water riff (on various string sets) sound with it (Hey, dad, I don't have to do anything, I just go "like this" and it sounds good!), so I gave her some headphones, but the problem is, she plays it on hollow body (she likes the Tele more, but shorter scale and thinner strings on x-155 are easier on her soft fingertips) so no way not to be loud.

Don't wory, the next time I play plugged in I'll make it distorted. I even tried it with this one, but baackground noise made me abandon the "project".

Black strip is for some misery to remain a mystery (unless it's seen on some other clips?).

Like your take a lot Vladan! Nice sense of space, and some blusiness...

Finally got around to the verse. Next step is actually blowing on it: ...
    Thank you Jeff. I liked yor version, too. Seems you have defined "Own Style v. 2.1.0.1", one should never stop searching, but some things are better if man settle down.
    Last edited by Vladan; 03-12-2017 at 08:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Overdrive I passed on to my little girl
    OMG... oh, headphones, okay. Careful with her ears.
    I just go "like this" and it sounds good!
    I still do that kind of thing now! Usually by accident.

the next time I play plugged in I'll make it distorted
    Well, I could hear it played slow, grungy, high and powerful (the distortion gives you sustain). I might have tried it myself but I don't have the equipment.

Black strip is for some misery to remain a mystery
    Ok, I can handle a bit of mystery :-)

User Info Menu

baackground noise
    Would that be sheep?

(Just my silly joke)