Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 87
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Our standard for Feb 2017 will be another Jerome Kern classic, Yesterdays (1933).

    Some history:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Yesterdays)

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Thanks. A very interesting tune...

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Excellent, in that case I can jump in straightaway with one I did a few years ago!


  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Excellent, in that case I can jump in straightaway with one I did a few years ago!


    Sounds great.

    Shoot, I think this is the first time I've ever seen you!

    Great tune this month...life got in the way of learning last month's tune, this one I know, so I'll be sure to get in this month. Should be some great posts coming up...can't wait to see what some of y'all come up with.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sounds great.

    Shoot, I think this is the first time I've ever seen you!

    Great tune this month...life got in the way of learning last month's tune, this one I know, so I'll be sure to get in this month. Should be some great posts coming up...can't wait to see what some of y'all come up with.
    haha, thanks...hair's gone a bit greyer since then!

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    haha, thanks...hair's gone a bit greyer since then!
    Boy do I know about that. For me, all it took was having kids.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Our standard for Feb 2017 will be another Jerome Kern classic, Yesterdays (1933).

    Some history:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Yesterdays)
    Thanks. I will start working on it today.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Wes' version with his organ trio has always been one of my favorite jazz tunes and one of the first I learned.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Excellent, in that case I can jump in straightaway with one I did a few years ago!
    Nice playing. You'll never do it like that again :-)

    heh heh

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Nice playing. You'll never do it like that again :-)

    heh heh
    Thanks! Actually I'm tempted to do it again at medium tempo with organ trio backing, I love that version by Wes!

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Don't get like me and do eleven different versions Yes, I like the Wes one too.

    You know, I think that one's so good you ought to release it as a single. Lovely stuff, really. Pleasure to listen to.

    (Just looked at your site. That was 7 years ago and your last one was a year ago. Have you stopped doing them?)
    Last edited by ragman1; 01-31-2017 at 05:53 PM.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Don't get like me and do eleven different versions Yes, I like the Wes one too.

    You know, I think that one's so good you ought to release it as a single. Lovely stuff, really. Pleasure to listen to.

    (Just looked at your site. That was 7 years ago and your last one was a year ago. Have you stopped doing them?)
    Thanks!

    I find doing videos is a bit of an effort, I haven't really got the ideal setup for it (I'm not happy unless the audio is good quality). There's loads more stuff on my soundcloud site simply because audio-only is so much easier to do.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    One of my favourites. I'll post something when I get a chance.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    If you don't mind a bit of verite and non studio recording quality, here is a version we played last night on a gig, with a Gypsy Jazz twinge.

    Dropbox - yesterdays - 01_02_2017, 01.04.m4a

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Excellent, in that case I can jump in straightaway with one I did a few years ago!

    Love it...cool reharm...

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    If you don't mind a bit of verite and non studio recording quality, here is a version we played last night on a gig, with a Gypsy Jazz twinge.

    Dropbox - yesterdays - 01_02_2017, 01.04.m4a
    Nicely played, Christian. Ah yes, the sound of gigs, I remember it well. Don't miss it at all :-)

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    brilliant thought i was listening to WES..wheres the backing track from

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    If you don't mind a bit of verite and non studio recording quality, here is a version we played last night on a gig, with a Gypsy Jazz twinge.

    Dropbox - yesterdays - 01_02_2017, 01.04.m4a
    That was real nice.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Fantastic another achievable song for beginners. So wrapped I got the head down of Loverman and can even improve through the changes. Unfortunately I started only at the end of the month, might even get something up this month. Thanks for the selections, get your symbols ready to throw at me and maybe invest in some cotton buds for the ears.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Here's a quick take. Lots more I need to dig into this tune...haven't played it in ages...why? It's so good. Need to stop forgetting good tunes.

    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 02-02-2017 at 09:04 PM.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Skipped January, but here is my first noodling around on Yesterdays.
    Much too long noodling though, but anyways... On the first backingtrack I found on Youtube.



    Hans

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    I don't doubt you hear "noodling" (we are all our own worst critic) but I noticed a lot of nice lines, breathing space, and in pocket playing.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    My entry from a rehearsal this morning:



    Apologies for its length (9min), but it took us a while to get locked in. (I think the out head is the best part )

    I've been working on my electric tone/sound, so I'd appreciate any comment about how the guitar sounds: it's one of those areas that I struggle with. Any other comments/criticisms welcome.

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Here's a quick take. Lots more I need to dig into this tune...haven't played it in ages...why? It's so good. Need to stop forgetting good tunes.

    Loved the chord solo at the end.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Whoa, pkirk, I'd buy a whole album of that approach in a heartbeat...I had no idea what to expect with that intro...and then it grooves, it swings. Dang.

    Tone sounds like Kenny Burrell playing a tele. Which is very good in my opinion.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 02-03-2017 at 05:19 PM.

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    My entry from a rehearsal this morning:



    Apologies for its length (9min), but it took us a while to get locked in. (I think the out head is the best part )

    I've been working on my electric tone/sound, so I'd appreciate any comment about how the guitar sounds: it's one of those areas that I struggle with. Any other comments/criticisms welcome.
    I loved it, great guitar tone and excellent recording quality. The bowed bass sounds great too.

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    I just recorded this:

    yesterdays.mp3 - Google Drive

    I played the bass part too (over a drum loop).
    Wes inspired melody approach.

    Improvising over these dominant chords resolving down to eachother is something I need to spend more time on...

    by the way:
    what chords do you use in bars 5 and 6
    the real book says Dm, Dm/C# | Dm/C |
    I hear many recordings do some decending bass thing on every beat, and Dm/C sounds a bit off (palying just a c note on the bass worked fine).
    Last edited by orri; 02-03-2017 at 10:50 PM.

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by orri

    Improvising over these dominant chords resolving down to each other is something I need to spend more time on...
    You could try this. When the doms cycle down in 5ths, as these do, you can play a line over one and then move it down a semi-tone for each dom - with some variation each time probably.

    I.e. over E7 - A7 - D7 - G7 - C7 you could play round Bm - Bbm - Am - Abm - Gm. You get an altered sound on the alternate ones.

    Or you can start with an altered one - Fm - Em - Ebm - Dm - Dbm - depending on the effect you want.

    It's a fairly cheap trick but it works.

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    "by the way:
    what chords do you use in bars 5 and 6

    the real book says Dm, Dm/C# | Dm/C |"

    I tend to play D harmonic minor in Dm, Dm/C# and Cmaj7 in Dm/C.
    But I do feel a tension(chord) towards Bm7b5 (bar 7) but haven't figured that out yet.
    Hans

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    And don't forget they're all m6 sounds, so over the Bm you'll want a natural A, not Ab... etc
    makes sense, m6 sound -> dorian or jazz minor.
    B jazz minor has same notes as with E mixo#4 (B dorian same notes as E mixolydian)

    then next bar you step down to Bbm jazz minor over A7 and that's same notes as A altered scale.

    What I was aiming for yesterday was to play altered scales over all those dominant chords since they resolve down a fifth. But then I also also tried to use mixo#4 since the D7 and C7 dom chords had natural 9 in the melody.

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    I like to alter the first two chords (thinking about them within the key) or make them all major.

    So:

    III7b9 VI7b9 II7 V7 I7 IVmaj7 and so on...

    In the key of the tune (Dm/F) we have
    A7b9 D7 G7 C7 F7 Bbmaj7

    Why? Well it's more diatonic and represents the sounds I hear players like Bird going for when I transcribe him. I think of this as old school bop stuff.

    By using more diatonic options you get a smoother sound that you are then at liberty to take more outside by altering the chords. That said I am quite picky about what colours I use on what dominants within the key.

    For example, I like altered/tritone on V7 but I don't like it so much on chord VI7.

    I think maybe on the solo I might have turned all of the chords into b9's so I can use a diminished thing:

    Eo7 Ebo7 Do7 Dbo7 (so dim7's going down in semitones.)

    But - dim7's are symmetrical in minor 3rds, so you can also go up in major 2nds. Going upwards over a fourthwise chord progression is a road less travelled...

    Obviously you can have fun coming up with 'death licks' on that. It's cheap and cheesy, but I like it!

    A more modernistic variation might be to use m6 or m7 arpeggios, (which theory nerds might say would reference the dim scale on each chord) Would probably sound outside, but logical. I might try this.
    Last edited by christianm77; 02-04-2017 at 10:39 AM.

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

    III7b9 VI7b9 II7 V7 I7 IVmaj7 and so on...

    In the key of the tune (Dm/F) we have
    A7b9 D7 G7 F7 Bbmaj7

    Why? Well it's more diatonic and represents the sounds I hear players like Bird going for when I transcribe him. I think of this as old school bop stuff.
    missing the C7?

    A7b9 D7 G7 F7 C7 Bbmaj7



    I might think of the first chord as an Eb13 for simplicity, perhaps preceded by a Bb7. If the tempo is slow enough, I think 2-chords-per-bar: a "vanilla" dominant
    (9, 13) followed by an altered dominant(b9,#5).


    In any case this little sub-progression has to be addressed on its own, and requires some thought as it is a bit unusual, kind of like in sweet georgia brown.

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    missing the C7?

    A7b9 D7 G7 F7 C7 Bbmaj7



    I might think of the first chord as an Eb13 for simplicity, perhaps preceded by a Bb7. If the tempo is slow enough, I think 2-chords-per-bar: a "vanilla" dominant
    (9, 13) followed by an altered dominant(b9,#5).


    In any case this little sub-progression has to be addressed on its own, and requires some thought as it is a bit unusual, kind of like in sweet georgia brown.
    Yes thanks for the correction...

    Blowing through back cycling dominants is terribly important and yet I always forget it.

    Two chords a bar is HARD:

    e.g. D7 G7 | C7 F7 | etc

  35. #34
    Wow. Thanks all for comments on approach. Always appreciated.

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    I simplified everything. All dominants...no ii''s at all in that second half. Or at least that's what I was thinking.

    Gonna do another take today if I can.

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzthebee
    or the classic - try 5 times in a row to start a "lick" because you keep flubbing it:
    You're in good company: Coltrane and Grant Green......

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    Finally getting up to the Practical Standards schedule. Lot of great education here and lot of good music at the same time

    My first touch with this song that I always liked but never got learned. Some free solo noodling:
    Last edited by Tomcat; 02-05-2017 at 08:23 PM.

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    I'd love to contribute to this thread, but I'm a jazz beginner and when I listen to your works, I feel like I'd look like a sandcastle in front of the Taj Mahal... So I'll simply listen to you guys and say thanks for sharing !

  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jobian
    I'd love to contribute to this thread, but I'm a jazz beginner and when I listen to your works, I feel like I'd look like a sandcastle in front of the Taj Mahal... So I'll simply listen to you guys and say thanks for sharing !
    Cool, but: It's not a competition! And we're all jazz beginners. Well, except for Jerry Bergonzi and Steve Coleman, and they never participate in this series So I hope you change your mind. A lot of this forum is about talking about music. This thread series is about music.

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Cool, but: It's not a competition! And we're all jazz beginners. Well, except for Jerry Bergonzi and Steve Coleman, and they never participate in this series So I hope you change your mind. A lot of this forum is about talking about music. This thread series is about music.
    Agreed. THis is a pretty supportive place too, the PST.

    And remember, no matter where anybody's at now, the were a beginner once, too. And one of the best ways to progress is to record yourself.

  42. #41

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jobian
    I'd love to contribute to this thread, but I'm a jazz beginner and when I listen to your works, I feel like I'd look like a sandcastle in front of the Taj Mahal... So I'll simply listen to you guys and say thanks for sharing !
    Just learn a melody of the tune, this monts is pretty simple, record with phone, whatever and post

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    Wow, thanks guys. It's very nice !
    I may try and post then... So stressed !
    I'd better get to work now !!!

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    Jobian I am with you and gonna submit. Even if I can just get the melody down. Sunday is my target. Lets do it man.

  45. #44

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Jobian I am with you and gonna submit. Even if I can just get the melody down. Sunday is my target. Lets do it man.
    Alright, sunday will be mine too, then ! Let's do it!

    I may try a basic chord melody version... Don't know.

  46. #45

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jobian
    I'd love to contribute to this thread, but I'm a jazz beginner and when I listen to your works, I feel like I'd look like a sandcastle in front of the Taj Mahal... So I'll simply listen to you guys and say thanks for sharing !
    Hey, just try it! Maybe start with something basic & ask for advice if you want any.

  47. #46

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    If you don't mind a bit of verite and non studio recording quality, here is a version we played last night on a gig, with a Gypsy Jazz twinge.

    Dropbox - yesterdays - 01_02_2017, 01.04.m4a
    Made me smile. Nice!

  48. #47

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jobian
    I'd love to contribute to this thread, but I'm a jazz beginner and when I listen to your works, I feel like I'd look like a sandcastle in front of the Taj Mahal... So I'll simply listen to you guys and say thanks for sharing !
    I was going to answer you too, and I hope you're still around.

    What the others said. We were all where you are at one point and we are all still learning. No one's going to laugh, I can promise you. Jazz guitar ain't easy and I'm no great jazz player myself.

    Like they said, start slow, start simple and you'll improve no end. Having this place to post in will help, no question - focusses the mind!

    Go for it. Don't forget, the person who never made a mistake never made anything... etc etc :-)

  49. #48

    User Info Menu

    Thanks you all guys for the nice words !
    I'm working hard on it and hope to be able to post something this weekend.
    The melody is easy but to put it into a nice chord/melody version isn't, without experience...

  50. #49

    User Info Menu

    I've been learning the first few choruses of Wes' version from the Wes Montgomery Trio album.


  51. #50

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    1:25 to 1:55 sounds great. You're bringing out 4 and 5 more there, and that kind of defines it really well.

    "The big (beat) 4" in 4/4 time feels more like a "big 4 & 5" in this meter to me. If you almost crescendo into 1 it helps at first. You're doing that really well in the above portion. Thanks for posting this.
    Thanks for your comments. Are you saying that in 5/4 the best beats to emphasise are 4 and 5? And maybe 1. I guess that makes sense, there is a rhythm there: | 1 - - 4 5 | 1 - - 4 5 |.

    Maybe it's a lack of familiarity but I do find it very difficult to get into the groove without trotting out 'patterns' to cover the 5/4 rhythm. 4/4 is no problem and one can let it flow, but this is defying my inner foot-tapper!
    Last edited by ragman1; 02-12-2017 at 08:43 PM.