The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 87

User Info Menu

Our standard for Feb 2017 will be another Jerome Kern classic, Yesterdays (1933).

Some history:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Yesterdays)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks. A very interesting tune...

User Info Menu

Excellent, in that case I can jump in straightaway with one I did a few years ago!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Excellent, in that case I can jump in straightaway with one I did a few years ago!

Sounds great.

Shoot, I think this is the first time I've ever seen you!

Great tune this month...life got in the way of learning last month's tune, this one I know, so I'll be sure to get in this month. Should be some great posts coming up...can't wait to see what some of y'all come up with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sounds great.

Shoot, I think this is the first time I've ever seen you!

Great tune this month...life got in the way of learning last month's tune, this one I know, so I'll be sure to get in this month. Should be some great posts coming up...can't wait to see what some of y'all come up with.
    haha, thanks...hair's gone a bit greyer since then!

User Info Menu

haha, thanks...hair's gone a bit greyer since then!
    Boy do I know about that. For me, all it took was having kids.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Our standard for Feb 2017 will be another Jerome Kern classic, Yesterdays (1933).

Some history:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Yesterdays)
    Thanks. I will start working on it today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Wes' version with his organ trio has always been one of my favorite jazz tunes and one of the first I learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Nice playing. You'll never do it like that again :-)

heh heh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Nice playing. You'll never do it like that again :-)

heh heh
    Thanks! Actually I'm tempted to do it again at medium tempo with organ trio backing, I love that version by Wes!

User Info Menu

Don't get like me and do eleven different versions Yes, I like the Wes one too.

You know, I think that one's so good you ought to release it as a single. Lovely stuff, really. Pleasure to listen to.

(Just looked at your site. That was 7 years ago and your last one was a year ago. Have you stopped doing them?)
    Last edited by ragman1; 01-31-2017 at 05:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Don't get like me and do eleven different versions Yes, I like the Wes one too.

You know, I think that one's so good you ought to release it as a single. Lovely stuff, really. Pleasure to listen to.

(Just looked at your site. That was 7 years ago and your last one was a year ago. Have you stopped doing them?)
    Thanks!

I find doing videos is a bit of an effort, I haven't really got the ideal setup for it (I'm not happy unless the audio is good quality). There's loads more stuff on my soundcloud site simply because audio-only is so much easier to do.

User Info Menu

One of my favourites. I'll post something when I get a chance.

User Info Menu

If you don't mind a bit of verite and non studio recording quality, here is a version we played last night on a gig, with a Gypsy Jazz twinge.

Dropbox - yesterdays - 01_02_2017, 01.04.m4a

User Info Menu

Love it...cool reharm...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    If you don't mind a bit of verite and non studio recording quality, here is a version we played last night on a gig, with a Gypsy Jazz twinge.

Nicely played, Christian. Ah yes, the sound of gigs, I remember it well. Don't miss it at all :-)

User Info Menu

brilliant thought i was listening to WES..wheres the backing track from

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

That was real nice.

User Info Menu

Fantastic another achievable song for beginners. So wrapped I got the head down of Loverman and can even improve through the changes. Unfortunately I started only at the end of the month, might even get something up this month. Thanks for the selections, get your symbols ready to throw at me and maybe invest in some cotton buds for the ears.

User Info Menu

Here's a quick take. Lots more I need to dig into this tune...haven't played it in ages...why? It's so good. Need to stop forgetting good tunes.

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 02-02-2017 at 09:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Skipped January, but here is my first noodling around on Yesterdays.
    Much too long noodling though, but anyways... On the first backingtrack I found on Youtube.

Hans

User Info Menu

I don't doubt you hear "noodling" (we are all our own worst critic) but I noticed a lot of nice lines, breathing space, and in pocket playing.

User Info Menu

My entry from a rehearsal this morning:

Apologies for its length (9min), but it took us a while to get locked in. (I think the out head is the best part )

I've been working on my electric tone/sound, so I'd appreciate any comment about how the guitar sounds: it's one of those areas that I struggle with. Any other comments/criticisms welcome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Here's a quick take. Lots more I need to dig into this tune...haven't played it in ages...why? It's so good. Need to stop forgetting good tunes.

Loved the chord solo at the end.

User Info Menu

Whoa, pkirk, I'd buy a whole album of that approach in a heartbeat...I had no idea what to expect with that intro...and then it grooves, it swings. Dang.

Tone sounds like Kenny Burrell playing a tele. Which is very good in my opinion.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 02-03-2017 at 05:19 PM.