The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 87

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    My entry from a rehearsal this morning:

Apologies for its length (9min), but it took us a while to get locked in. (I think the out head is the best part )

I've been working on my electric tone/sound, so I'd appreciate any comment about how the guitar sounds: it's one of those areas that I struggle with. Any other comments/criticisms welcome.
    I loved it, great guitar tone and excellent recording quality. The bowed bass sounds great too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just recorded this:

yesterdays.mp3 - Google Drive

I played the bass part too (over a drum loop).
    Wes inspired melody approach.

Improvising over these dominant chords resolving down to eachother is something I need to spend more time on...

by the way:
    what chords do you use in bars 5 and 6
    the real book says Dm, Dm/C# | Dm/C |
    I hear many recordings do some decending bass thing on every beat, and Dm/C sounds a bit off (palying just a c note on the bass worked fine).
    Last edited by orri; 02-03-2017 at 10:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri

Improvising over these dominant chords resolving down to each other is something I need to spend more time on...
    You could try this. When the doms cycle down in 5ths, as these do, you can play a line over one and then move it down a semi-tone for each dom - with some variation each time probably.

I.e. over E7 - A7 - D7 - G7 - C7 you could play round Bm - Bbm - Am - Abm - Gm. You get an altered sound on the alternate ones.

Or you can start with an altered one - Fm - Em - Ebm - Dm - Dbm - depending on the effect you want.

It's a fairly cheap trick but it works.

User Info Menu

"by the way:
    what chords do you use in bars 5 and 6

the real book says Dm, Dm/C# | Dm/C |"

I tend to play D harmonic minor in Dm, Dm/C# and Cmaj7 in Dm/C.
    But I do feel a tension(chord) towards Bm7b5 (bar 7) but haven't figured that out yet.
    Hans

User Info Menu

And don't forget they're all m6 sounds, so over the Bm you'll want a natural A, not Ab... etc
    makes sense, m6 sound -> dorian or jazz minor.
    B jazz minor has same notes as with E mixo#4 (B dorian same notes as E mixolydian)

then next bar you step down to Bbm jazz minor over A7 and that's same notes as A altered scale.

What I was aiming for yesterday was to play altered scales over all those dominant chords since they resolve down a fifth. But then I also also tried to use mixo#4 since the D7 and C7 dom chords had natural 9 in the melody.

User Info Menu

I like to alter the first two chords (thinking about them within the key) or make them all major.

So:

III7b9 VI7b9 II7 V7 I7 IVmaj7 and so on...

In the key of the tune (Dm/F) we have
    A7b9 D7 G7 C7 F7 Bbmaj7

Why? Well it's more diatonic and represents the sounds I hear players like Bird going for when I transcribe him. I think of this as old school bop stuff.

By using more diatonic options you get a smoother sound that you are then at liberty to take more outside by altering the chords. That said I am quite picky about what colours I use on what dominants within the key.

For example, I like altered/tritone on V7 but I don't like it so much on chord VI7.

I think maybe on the solo I might have turned all of the chords into b9's so I can use a diminished thing:

Eo7 Ebo7 Do7 Dbo7 (so dim7's going down in semitones.)

But - dim7's are symmetrical in minor 3rds, so you can also go up in major 2nds. Going upwards over a fourthwise chord progression is a road less travelled...

Obviously you can have fun coming up with 'death licks' on that. It's cheap and cheesy, but I like it!

A more modernistic variation might be to use m6 or m7 arpeggios, (which theory nerds might say would reference the dim scale on each chord) Would probably sound outside, but logical. I might try this.
    Last edited by christianm77; 02-04-2017 at 10:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

III7b9 VI7b9 II7 V7 I7 IVmaj7 and so on...

In the key of the tune (Dm/F) we have
    A7b9 D7 G7 F7 Bbmaj7

Why? Well it's more diatonic and represents the sounds I hear players like Bird going for when I transcribe him. I think of this as old school bop stuff.
    missing the C7?

A7b9 D7 G7 F7 C7 Bbmaj7

I might think of the first chord as an Eb13 for simplicity, perhaps preceded by a Bb7. If the tempo is slow enough, I think 2-chords-per-bar: a "vanilla" dominant
    (9, 13) followed by an altered dominant(b9,#5).

In any case this little sub-progression has to be addressed on its own, and requires some thought as it is a bit unusual, kind of like in sweet georgia brown.

User Info Menu

missing the C7?

A7b9 D7 G7 F7 C7 Bbmaj7

I might think of the first chord as an Eb13 for simplicity, perhaps preceded by a Bb7. If the tempo is slow enough, I think 2-chords-per-bar: a "vanilla" dominant
    (9, 13) followed by an altered dominant(b9,#5).

In any case this little sub-progression has to be addressed on its own, and requires some thought as it is a bit unusual, kind of like in sweet georgia brown.
    Yes thanks for the correction...

Blowing through back cycling dominants is terribly important and yet I always forget it.

Two chords a bar is HARD:

e.g. D7 G7 | C7 F7 | etc

Wow. Thanks all for comments on approach. Always appreciated.

User Info Menu

I simplified everything. All dominants...no ii''s at all in that second half. Or at least that's what I was thinking.

Gonna do another take today if I can.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzthebee
    or the classic - try 5 times in a row to start a "lick" because you keep flubbing it:
    You're in good company: Coltrane and Grant Green......

User Info Menu

Finally getting up to the Practical Standards schedule. Lot of great education here and lot of good music at the same time

My first touch with this song that I always liked but never got learned. Some free solo noodling:
    Last edited by Tomcat; 02-05-2017 at 08:23 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd love to contribute to this thread, but I'm a jazz beginner and when I listen to your works, I feel like I'd look like a sandcastle in front of the Taj Mahal... So I'll simply listen to you guys and say thanks for sharing !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jobian
    I'd love to contribute to this thread, but I'm a jazz beginner and when I listen to your works, I feel like I'd look like a sandcastle in front of the Taj Mahal... So I'll simply listen to you guys and say thanks for sharing !
    Cool, but: It's not a competition! And we're all jazz beginners. Well, except for Jerry Bergonzi and Steve Coleman, and they never participate in this series So I hope you change your mind. A lot of this forum is about talking about music. This thread series is about music.

User Info Menu

Cool, but: It's not a competition! And we're all jazz beginners. Well, except for Jerry Bergonzi and Steve Coleman, and they never participate in this series So I hope you change your mind. A lot of this forum is about talking about music. This thread series is about music.
    Agreed. THis is a pretty supportive place too, the PST.

And remember, no matter where anybody's at now, the were a beginner once, too. And one of the best ways to progress is to record yourself.

User Info Menu

Just learn a melody of the tune, this monts is pretty simple, record with phone, whatever and post

User Info Menu

Wow, thanks guys. It's very nice !
    I may try and post then... So stressed !
    I'd better get to work now !!!

User Info Menu

Jobian I am with you and gonna submit. Even if I can just get the melody down. Sunday is my target. Lets do it man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Jobian I am with you and gonna submit. Even if I can just get the melody down. Sunday is my target. Lets do it man.
    Alright, sunday will be mine too, then ! Let's do it!

I may try a basic chord melody version... Don't know.

User Info Menu

Hey, just try it! Maybe start with something basic & ask for advice if you want any.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    If you don't mind a bit of verite and non studio recording quality, here is a version we played last night on a gig, with a Gypsy Jazz twinge.

Dropbox - yesterdays - 01_02_2017, 01.04.m4a
    Made me smile. Nice!

User Info Menu

I was going to answer you too, and I hope you're still around.

What the others said. We were all where you are at one point and we are all still learning. No one's going to laugh, I can promise you. Jazz guitar ain't easy and I'm no great jazz player myself.

Like they said, start slow, start simple and you'll improve no end. Having this place to post in will help, no question - focusses the mind!

Go for it. Don't forget, the person who never made a mistake never made anything... etc etc :-)

User Info Menu

Thanks you all guys for the nice words !
    I'm working hard on it and hope to be able to post something this weekend.
    The melody is easy but to put it into a nice chord/melody version isn't, without experience...

User Info Menu

I've been learning the first few choruses of Wes' version from the Wes Montgomery Trio album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    1:25 to 1:55 sounds great. You're bringing out 4 and 5 more there, and that kind of defines it really well.

"The big (beat) 4" in 4/4 time feels more like a "big 4 & 5" in this meter to me. If you almost crescendo into 1 it helps at first. You're doing that really well in the above portion. Thanks for posting this.
    Thanks for your comments. Are you saying that in 5/4 the best beats to emphasise are 4 and 5? And maybe 1. I guess that makes sense, there is a rhythm there: | 1 - - 4 5 | 1 - - 4 5 |.

Maybe it's a lack of familiarity but I do find it very difficult to get into the groove without trotting out 'patterns' to cover the 5/4 rhythm. 4/4 is no problem and one can let it flow, but this is defying my inner foot-tapper!
    Last edited by ragman1; 02-12-2017 at 08:43 PM.