The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Our standard for Jan 2017 will be Lover Man (J. Davis, J. Sherman, R. Ramirez - 1942).

Some history:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be?))

Happy New Year to everyone at jazzguitar.be!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I always liked this version

Last edited by pkirk; 01-01-2017 at 11:22 AM.

joaopaz Guest
    Some years ago Jimmy Bruno released a live recording of his quartet, giving it to his students at JBGI. He played Lover Man, so that's the recording I'm taking off with.
    It's Latin style, brisk tempo, and his sound and playing is amazing. Very melodic, creative, bebop language with a modern touch ... and with some super fast runs too 😊

I wish he could release a lot more!

User Info Menu

I didn't put this up before but I will now. So nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I didn't put this up before but I will now. So nice.

This is one of the best Lover Man version over internet!
    Thanks
    Kris

User Info Menu

My version of this standard, maybe too slow ... I used to do a backing track with chords drop 3 (6432 strings) and learn them, although now I do not have so much time for jazz and my free time I must dedicate it to learn seguidillas and jotas with a bandurria.

I played with a Washburn j3 and a strato classic player 50.

Regards and it is a pleasure to hear so many good versions of this song.

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing and improvisation!!! 5 stars out of 5 stars!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I love this idea. How do I join ?
    Are we working on a particular version of Lover Man ?
    You are joined - you're here!

Every month there's a 'practical standard' for us to play. Last month it was 'I Can't Get Started', this month it's 'Lover Man'. You can play it straight, reharmed, anyhow you like, and post it here.

(I'm the local nuisance, I've done it eight different ways so far. Can't get enough of it )
    Last edited by ragman1; 01-17-2017 at 09:39 PM.

User Info Menu

I will be posting my version of "Lover Man" next week

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

This seems like a good song for a beginner like myself.

I thought gotta use my lunch times better and participation in this is one of my objectives for the year so sat in the sun under a tree with pen in hand and analysed the tune. It seems like one us beginners may have missed the boat on, is a good opportunity for us to have a crack at. Slow ii v's etc and the melody very diatonic and each bar often starts on the 1 of the underlying chord and really exploits the triads etc Jordan would be proud.

Hopefully I can make time to get into it and get something down.

Hope Feb will be in a similar vain and I will look at it earlier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I will be posting my version of "Lover Man" next week
    Goody :-)

Don't get hooked like me! Soon as I do one I think of another way to do it, and another, and another. Problem is there's an audience for it. Gives you incentive.

I wish I could just do a short masterpiece, like a lot of the players here, and walk away. Must be marvellous! And there are some very good players here, I should tell you. But it's not a competition, at least it shouldn't be, I hope. There's always something to learn.

Anyhow, welcome.

now where was I...

User Info Menu

Sorry I am new. How do I join the group. And how does the practice group work?

Frank

User Info Menu

I haven't had a chance to listen to all the submissions yet, but here's my entry. With all the mistakes I should probably call it "Lover Clam" instead. I'm using a Guitar Rig plug-in preset called "fields of Sco comping" that sounded kind of organ(ish) to me.

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me. It's just the organ :-)

User Info Menu

Much more better than listening to me hack through this Coleman Hawkins and Barry Galbraith

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone! Allow me to join in. I missed posting in this Forum.
    Here's my version. I hope some of the things I played make sense to you. Some of them do make sense to me but it could be more. Excuse the count in and the sudden cutoff.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That was really good M-ster. You made me listen to the end.

User Info Menu

My first entry with this group.

I welcome your comments

LoverMan

If anyone has a suggestion as to how I can post these videos without using YouTube, I would appreciate it.
    Last edited by Doublea A; 03-04-2017 at 08:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Mr.M-ster,
    Very nice version .
    Great chord melody playing in the head and beatifull sounding solo.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

That was, as usual from you, a top notch version of Lover Man! Great changes and really nice lines, I had to listen several times to it to fully appreciate all the nice lines.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

I made this chord-melody arrangement.

loverman.mp3 - Google Drive

I struggled a bit with getting a good take and this will have to do for now.

Any tips on how to practise getting a good take?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri
    Any tips on how to practise getting a good take?
    Yes, although I don't do chord melody myself. It's fiddly, you've got to memorise it, and, to be very honest, I find it boring even when done by someone good. One recent exception to that is a vid by a guy called Andy Brown who was playing solo to an audience and held my attention. I'm sure there are others.

The advantage of it is that you can use any rhythm you like, and vary it during the performance, and also any harmony you like.

Incidentally, are you actually playing the chords and tune at the same time? That recording sounds as though you're playing the tune over a chord backing. I might be wrong but, if I'm not, that's not chord melody.

The first thing about your take is: the drum is redundant. Apart from the beats being haphazard and rather distracting, it's simply unnecessary. You should remove that.

If you still like or require it (not a good idea because it ties you to a mechanical rhythm) then keep it even and a lot softer. Or use it on a separate track and then remove it.

Of course you can play a chord melody arrangement with a backing, bass or bass/drums or other instruments, but generally the advantage of solo chord melody playing is that it frees you up to perform it however you like. The disadvantage is that it's tricky to work out and remember. Also, you don't want to repeat yourself like a machine, it benefits by variation.

Second, the recording's rather soft. I suspect it's because your recording level is too low. Raise the recording level and it should get a bit louder. It doesn't matter that much because the listener can use the volume control but it's better if he doesn't have to.

All this from me who doesn't do it at all - it makes me nervous! - but I think that's about right.