Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 72 of 72
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    I'm glad I didn't hear these till now ...

    Jim Mullen


    Barney Kessel (this may be the most moving thing I've ever heard from BK!)


    Wow.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    Man, everyone is sounding so good on this that it's sort a shame to take it down a few notches, but I missed out on the last couple (few?) tunes, so I thought I'd throw in a quick chorus.

    Get ready for some meandering and overused devices. I welcome criticism, be it constructive or just plain insulting.


  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Man, everyone is sounding so good on this that it's sort a shame to take it down a few notches, but I missed out on the last couple (few?) tunes, so I thought I'd throw in a quick chorus.

    Get ready for some meandering and overused devices. I welcome criticism, be it constructive or just plain insulting.

    Really nice Jay, I hear a Jimmy Raney influence in your version. Nice tone, good lines!

    wiz

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    I'm glad I didn't hear these till now ...

    Jim Mullen


    Barney Kessel (this may be the most moving thing I've ever heard from BK!)


    Wow.
    wonderful music from master Barney and Jim

    wiz

  6. #55

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Man, everyone is sounding so good on this that it's sort a shame to take it down a few notches, but I missed out on the last couple (few?) tunes, so I thought I'd throw in a quick chorus.

    Get ready for some meandering and overused devices. I welcome criticism, be it constructive or just plain insulting.

    You are a poopyhead!

    Sorry I couldn't resist. :-)

  7. #56
    joaopaz Guest
    Hi guys,

    Here's another take - still very much a work in progress; but I needed to get this stage out of the way, to see if I can come up with fresh ideas.

    It's a bit repetitive, I'm somewhat entangled on the tune's inner melodic repetition, but that's challenging at the same time.

    Now I'm going to sit down and catch up with what you guys have been doing, too!


  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    Thank you Ragman and Christian for your valuable insights.

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Okay, well, some of your licks tend to lose steam at the end. They start well, goodly jazz stuff, and then sort of end on a bit of a spare note. It's as though you've got the idea for the lick down but haven't followed it out to more than about five notes. You probably want at least seven or eight ( a full bar's worth) firmly fixed in your mind/brain/fingers, as strongly as the first four or five. That way they can be linked, if you see what I mean.
    I think you're giving me too much credit by saying I've thought five notes ahead, but otherwise this is spot on. I've had difficulty with my phrases just trailing off. I think I'm getting better, but more often than not there is still no definite resolution. Something to work on!

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Really nice Jay, I hear a Jimmy Raney influence in your version. Nice tone, good lines!
    It's more than influence, Howie -- it's outright theft! I appreciate the kind words.

  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz
    Hi guys,

    Here's another take - still very much a work in progress; but I needed to get this stage out of the way, to see if I can come up with fresh ideas.

    It's a bit repetitive, I'm somewhat entangled on the tune's inner melodic repetition, but that's challenging at the same time.

    Now I'm going to sit down and catch up with what you guys have been doing, too!
    Your work with those inner voices is really nice!

  11. #60
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Wonderful, M-ster!
    Any particular reason for the key change?

    Love it when people keep a connection to the more classic stuff... that ending is precious

  12. #61
    joaopaz Guest
    Quite a trip listening to all the versions. Very inspiring and enlightening at times.
    I can see why this forum feature gets so much love ...

    Barney Kessel, though, takes the trophy home

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz
    ...but then you brought it in quite intensely.
    funny thing, when the bass solo entered I could swear I heard the audience clapping
    The audience in my head was clapping

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    Here is my take on I can't get started.
    Sorry for the piano player who plays constantly the one (iReal).


    (Solo starts on 1:37 if you are tired of the theme)
    Hope you like it.

    Hans

  15. #64
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatim
    Here is my take on I can't get started.
    Sorry for the piano player who plays constantly the one (iReal).


    (Solo starts on 1:37 if you are tired of the theme)
    Hope you like it.

    Hans
    I liked it, some nice melodic material in there.
    Also played with a really nice sound... what guitar is that? it has great definition on the lower notes, a mild punch

  16. #65

    User Info Menu

    Really good Phrasing on this one and an excellent, melodic improvisation.

    wiz

  17. #66

    User Info Menu

    Oh, thanks for the complements.

    I liked it, some nice melodic material in there.
    Also played with a really nice sound... what guitar is that? it has great definition on the lower notes, a mild punch

    It's a Telecaster, Nocaster copy from the Netherlands, Haar Guitars it called. But after having posted a bunch of takes on this forum with a .10 set strings I had the luminous idea to put .11 flatwounds on it for more jazzsound. Duh. Should have done that much earlier.

    Really good Phrasing on this one and an excellent, melodic improvisation
    That was quite hard on this tempo. And I didn't want to play in the comfort zone with double time 16th notes.
    Some of my previous takes were quite bad I must admit.

    Hans
    Last edited by Hatim; 12-26-2016 at 11:55 AM.

  18. #67
    joaopaz Guest
    Hi guys,

    I wanted to add a complete video for my first month here at the "Practical Standards" before the month/year's end.
    Still, I shortened the last A section... Wasn't feeling feel inventive enough and didn't want to sound boring.

    It has some mistakes but I hope you can kind find something interesting, as well

    Anyway, this was great - I always enjoy a good challenge - and count me in for next month's please!

    Happy New Year, guys!!


  19. #68

    User Info Menu

    I Can't Get Started

    Hiya all, Here is my bluesy version, may be a lot of errors, sorry I am late, I'm really pressed for time right now. Should have more time after the New Year.

    https://app.box.com/s/6rcvtqhjfg5p9lwwo6ot7y3yq6pme9i3

    wiz (Howie)

  20. #69

    User Info Menu

    Here's a quick latin take (afro-cuban) of tune... pretty rough, but I'm not really a practice guy. I played it on nylon strings and no pick... slow me down. I'm around for a while. So I'll post this months tune also. I'll also start posting more technical material, along with real applications. Not sure where... but it will be obvious... thanks.

  21. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Here's a quick latin take (afro-cuban) of tune... pretty rough, but I'm not really a practice guy. I played it on nylon strings and no pick... slow me down. I'm around for a while. So I'll post this months tune also. I'll also start posting more technical material, along with real applications. Not sure where... but it will be obvious... thanks.
    compelling notions of style/feel influencing harmony. Always appreciate insight into macro. Thanks.

  22. #71
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Here's a quick latin take (afro-cuban) of tune... pretty rough, but I'm not really a practice guy. I played it on nylon strings and no pick... slow me down. I'm around for a while. So I'll post this months tune also. I'll also start posting more technical material, along with real applications. Not sure where... but it will be obvious... thanks.
    Reg, that was super. Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to your next videos!

  23. #72

    User Info Menu

    Hi
    Have you ever heard of something called blues?
    Consider that.
    C blues minor : C Eb F F# G Bb
    C relative blues: C D Eb E G A
    C blues mixed: C D Eb E F F# G A Bb
    I think the solution lies in that. Blues is the heart of jazz.
    Bars 3 and 4
    E7 OK (b9 9 #11 b13)
    A7b5 OK or A7 (b9 #9 #11 b13 13)
    D7b9 #11 NO D7 OK (b9 9 #9 b13)
    G7sus 4 OK or G7 (9 b13 13)
    Check
    Bye
    Francis Zérah