The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 112 of 112

User Info Menu

For working up a solo arrangement, I find it helpful to practice playing only the bass and melody lines, trying to make both work together as smoothly as possible. It helps me hear each voice clearly and gives me a chance to work through the mechanics of playing both parts together, which requires some stretches or octave jumps if the voices get too far apart. Then I'll add some chromatic and scale tone approaches to each voice. Then I'll try to fit a few chord tones in between as best I can. I think this approach results in a more orchestral or "pianistic" performance than a chord-focused approach. I'll try this with ATTYA and see if I can come up with anything interesting.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    I'm not sure about the "more advanced" part, I loved your rendition. And I was so embarrassed by the version I posted after re-listening to it that I took it down.

Unknownguitarplayer is a *great* player (and also has math tendencies). Nice to see him contribute to this series, which I find the nicest part of this forum, as it's about sharing the fruits of our beloved hobby in a relaxed, no-judgement way.

I'll put up one more:
    SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads

again, my playing is sloppy and the sound quality awful, so I don't know how long I'll leave this up. But I've played a few gigs recently with the vibes/bass/guitar line-up, which I love: the vibes and guitar mesh really well. I'll have to dig out my old Red Norvo vinyls and give them another listen.

Wow, thanks Paul! I've gotta find an excuse to get down your way so we can play again. But yeah, it's really nice to hear people share their take on a familiar tune this way. Lots of really good players posted, but the thing that really impresses me is people putting up rough cuts, clips without backing tracks and very un-self conscious impressions of the tune where you can really hear what they're going after. I'm kind of embarrassed now that I posted a clip from a gig, rather than a scratch pad take. Next time.

User Info Menu

Jet Lag jazz guitar:

In any case something I've been thinking about working on - free counterpoint improv...

User Info Menu

I like that, Christian, sort of like that band arrangement you hear. Maybe you should combine it with the straighter version rather than all the time. But nicely played and good idea.

It gets you, this tune, doesn't it? Something about it seems to open up all sorts of endless possibilities. I always want to twist it inside out... and even then it's not quite enough!

Right now I'm waiting with baited breath for December's tune :-)

User Info Menu

Late effort from me. Done according to strict Christian principles, i.e. solo first, then accompaniment, and no metro-gnomes anywhere in sight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Late effort from me. Done according to strict Christian principles, i.e. solo first, then accompaniment, and no metro-gnomes anywhere in sight.

Fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.

The unison stuff was pretty random really but it seemed to work somehow. I'd like to try some more counterpoint-type things like that.

I did find that short, jabbing phrases like that worked better as an accompaniment than long lines, which is kind of annoying as I would have preferred the latter. But that approach needs further work!

User Info Menu

This is really cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I like that, Christian, sort of like that band arrangement you hear. Maybe you should combine it with the straighter version rather than all the time. But nicely played and good idea.
    Yeah, I think it's a bit much on its own, but it's a good texture. Also I don't feel I am yet up to swinging this stuff in tempo.

In general, I'd like to move towards playing harmony contrapuntally rather than thinking about vertical chord grips.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    This is really cool.
    Thanks Christian! I gotta do more like this, it really forces you to concentrate hard on the time.

User Info Menu

great playing and great time.

User Info Menu

I thought you guys might like this: