Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

I would like to propose that, rather than accepting and voting on nominees each month, we instead adopt a list of classic, must-know standards and simply work our way down the list.

Something like the jazzstandards list of the top 1,000 standards would be my suggestion:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals Contents

We could skip over the ones we've already done, if that's the consensus.

Does that work for anyone? Do you have a preferred list to offer up? Feel free to discuss ...
    Last edited by M-ster; 11-20-2016 at 03:10 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not a bad idea. We might just go right through the Real Book or iReal or something...I think the part that was a LOT of work for Howie was the chart and backing track. Most folks should be able to access this stuff without a member needing to go through all of that trouble.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

I think Its a good idea maybe there could be a choice of two songs just in case anybody hates one of them!

Not sure everybody works from the same real book or even how many to them there are, ireal I have no experience of although I think I have the trial version installed somewhere but both are possibilities.

Backing tracks were always a problem for me I could never download Howie's tracks for whatever reason so sometimes had to purchase them online.

Just thinking and typing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    ... I think the part that was a LOT of work for Howie was the chart and backing track. Most folks should be able to access this stuff without a member needing to go through all of that trouble.
    True, and I believe that most of the regular contributors did not make use of Howie's backing tracks, anyway. The tracks may have provided practice material, but I don't think many posters used them in their posted contributions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trevorS View Post
    I think Its a good idea maybe there could be a choice of two songs just in case anybody hates one of them! ...
    If we worked from a published list, participants could get a head-start on the next month's tune, if they hate the current month's tune.

Regarding Real Book -- I kind of favor a list of top standards, just because the Real Book is not necessarily an accumulation of the great American songbook tunes. Particularly the one I'm familiar with, which tends to favor the local Berklee icons of the era (i.e., Steve Swallow, Pat Metheny, Gary Burton). Nothing shabby about their compositions, of course -- I'm just personally more interested in filling in my knowledge of the classics.

But I can roll with the group consensus.

User Info Menu

This is a great idea, and I second M-ster's idea of working from a ranked list of top standards. I don't even think we need to skip over ones we've already done, unless it was very recently. And of course the lead sheets for these things are just a google away.

I think that part of the lack of participation is that so many of the songs have been quite obscure... not really standard standards. Not Howie's fault of course... the polls were made up of suggestions from forum members. But did you notice how the threads really came to life when something like 'Stella' was picked? I suspect that a lot of us who aren't gigging pros and are still learning this stuff would like to work on our skills on somewhat familiar tunes, the ones we hear on the records.
    Jay

'boobadoobadoobaooababop!'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    This is a great idea, and I second M-ster's idea of working from a ranked list of top standards.
    I also like M-ster's idea of using a published list.

Paul

User Info Menu

Yes, I like also the classics and don't mind do some standards which have been already done.

Hans

User Info Menu

I like the idea of going with a prioritized list of either favorites, jam-session regulars, or the like. That's because of where I am as a musician, of course. Newcomers to this site also might not have caught when something was covered several years back, so re-visiting an "old" tune could still be "new" to a good many, and advanced players can show us how to take it to the next level.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Another, much quicker option, would be to follow the "Jam of the Week" group on Facebook...Or maybe that could be a whole 'nuther thread too...

Maybe I'll start that one. I love the concept...new tune each week, one chorus only over the changes. No working out arrangements, just plug in and see what happens...
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

User Info Menu

Another, much quicker option, would be to follow the "Jam of the Week" group on Facebook...Or maybe that could be a whole 'nuther thread too...
    Having recently left Facebook, I'd be much less inclined to participate if things went this way. I'd prefer the list approach.
    "I'm opposed to picketing, but I don't know to show it." --Mitch Hedberg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe View Post
    Having recently left Facebook, I'd be much less inclined to participate if things went this way. I'd prefer the list approach.

No, I don't mean do it on Facebook, I just mean let them choose the tunes.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

No, I don't mean do it on Facebook, I just mean let them choose the tunes.
    Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I could roll with that.

(I've lost touch with a few people, but I still think that getting off FB was one of the better decisions I've made lately.)
    "I'm opposed to picketing, but I don't know to show it." --Mitch Hedberg

User Info Menu

Good idea, M-ster. It would be a real time saver

wiz (Howie)
    Howie

User Info Menu

Yea sounds cool... I would think the thread would be more for players new to jazz. I mean that list of standards is from the stone age... and any jazz player or anyone playing jazz tunes would have already played those tunes a million times.

But getting back to basics if one doesn't have or understand what those are never hurts... I'll try and post a few analysis using different references. That being maj/min functional harmony, old school... and then some more modern concepts... the last 60 years etc...

Maybe M-ster could organized, he's a fine players etc...

I think a list, as a starting point, is probably a good idea. The one which has been mentioned is good, at least to start from, as long as you're factoring in its default bias towards vocal tunes and ballads. I mean, those are just going to be the most recorded. The Manhattan school jazz jury list has been posted many times. It and similar beginning lists might be good references.

Football and volleyball are over. I need to dig back into some tunes, myself.

User Info Menu

Manhattan School of Music Jazz Arts Program
    (list of 150 tunes starts on p.14 of the PDF)
    https://www.msmnyc.edu/Portals/0/Doc...%202016-17.pdf

learnjazzstandards.com
    50 Jazz Standards You Need to Know
    50 Jazz Standards You Need To Know - Learn Jazz Standards

Hope Street Music Studio
    100 "Must Know" Jazz Tunes
    100 Must Know Jazz Tunes

The Woodshed
    (list starts a bit before 1/2-way down the page)
    300 Tunes to Know
    The Woodshed | Jazz Improvisation >> 300 Tunes to Know: Prioritized, Categorized, and Organized

Jazz Standards.com
    (list of 1,000 tunes - both vocal and instrumental)

So, above I list various standards/must-know jazz lists that I googled after Matt's post.

At this point, I still favor the jazzstandards.com list because it does include both vocal and instrumental standards, the site provides some background on the tunes, and the list goes to 1,000, which provides us 83 years, 4 months of practice and entertainment.

Are there other lists that we should consider, or ... ?
    Last edited by M-ster; 11-04-2016 at 04:43 PM.

User Info Menu

which provides us 83 years, 4 months of practice and entertainment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster View Post
    At this point, I still favor the jazzstandards.com list because it does include both vocal and instrumental standards, the site provides some background on the tunes, and the list goes to 1,000, which provides us 83 years, 4 months of practice and entertainment.
    ?
    The jazzstandards.com list works for me.

Paul

User Info Menu

The jazzstandards.com lists looks good to me .

wiz
    Howie

User Info Menu

I like the idea of going off a list. I have been seriously remiss in my playing since I got out of school and moved closer to my kids. I need some motivation to get me back in the game.

Let me know when you guys are starting the next tune.

User Info Menu

its up and running here: PS 2016 Nov - All the Things You Are

User Info Menu

Good idea

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Maybe I'll start that one. I love the concept...new tune each week, one chorus only over the changes. No working out arrangements, just plug in and see what happens...
    I would be interested in that

User Info Menu

Manhattan School of Music Jazz Arts Program
    (list of 150 tunes starts on p.14 of the PDF)
    https://www.msmnyc.edu/Portals/0/Doc...%202016-17.pdf

learnjazzstandards.com
    50 Jazz Standards You Need to Know
    50 Jazz Standards You Need To Know - Learn Jazz Standards

Hope Street Music Studio
    100 "Must Know" Jazz Tunes
    100 Must Know Jazz Tunes

The Woodshed
    (list starts a bit before 1/2-way down the page)
    300 Tunes to Know
    The Woodshed | Jazz Improvisation >> 300 Tunes to Know: Prioritized, Categorized, and Organized

Jazz Standards.com
    (list of 1,000 tunes - both vocal and instrumental)

So, above I list various standards/must-know jazz lists that I googled after Matt's post.

Are there other lists that we should consider, or ... ?
    These all look good. I couldn't open the first one, but I am sure that it is similar to the others.

User Info Menu

Let us when it is up and running.
    As for backing tracks I use the iReal book app. I like the fact that I can alter the speed, change the chords, modify the styles, add endings etc. Perhaps those can be shared with members that have the same app.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A View Post
    Let us when it is up and running.
    Hey, Doublea A, the Practical Standards threads have been running for a long time now. Howie ("wiz") handed off to me in Nov 2016, I believe. Our current tune (for July 2017) is Caravan.

See here: July 2017 - Caravan

User Info Menu

Hey, Doublea A, the Practical Standards threads have been running for a long time now. Howie ("wiz") handed off to me in Nov 2016, I believe. Our current tune (for July 2017) is Caravan.

See here: July 2017 - Caravan
    Thanks, I have been participating on and off for the past few months. I think I misunderstood. I thought we were breaking off and starting anew somewhere else.

Thanks for taking over this thread. I think it is one of the most useful of the "study groups".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A View Post
    Thanks, I have been participating on and off for the past few months. I think I misunderstood. I thought we were breaking off and starting anew somewhere else.

Thanks for taking over this thread. I think it is one of the most useful of the "study groups".
    I thought I already saw you post on at least one of the monthly threads.

I liked the feature, too, while Howie was hosting. I worked on every tune, every month (and still do), whether or not my version gets "published."

User Info Menu

I thought I already saw you post on at least one of the monthly threads.

I liked the feature, too, while Howie was hosting. I worked on every tune, every month (and still do), whether or not my version gets "published."
    Yes, so do I. I only discovered the group in January this year. I have been looking back at all the great tunes that I have missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk