Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

As many of you know, this thread has been a very enjoyable part of my music life for several years. However, due to my age and health issues, I must give up providing my input to the Practical Standards thread. I will still be a dedicated member of this forum and I hope someone will have the time and energy to continue to provide the input for this thread.
    My wife has recovered from her vocal problem so I will be accompanying her as she starts back to work and I will be continuing to play with the dance band I have been working with. I would like thank all of you who have been participating with and enjoying this thread. I wish you all the very best!

wiz (Howie)
    Howie

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hearty thanks for all your hard work, Howie. You are the sort of person who makes communities like this worthwhile. I'm pleased to hear your wife is on the mend, and I wish you both well for the future.

User Info Menu

Completely understood! Thanks for running it for so long.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

You are indeed, a man to ride the river with.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

One of the best things about the forum. Glad it's been there. Thanks for the work and best to you
    David

User Info Menu

Thanks for your great work.
    All The Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

You da man, Howie. Thanks for heading up a great feature for so long.

User Info Menu

I hope Howie chooses an able successor!
    Completely unhindered by talent.

User Info Menu

Good on you Howie!

User Info Menu

Four more years! ;o)

Thanks for all you've done with this thread, Howie. Long may it wave.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Thank you Howie for all the time you put into it, big shoes to be filled.

User Info Menu

Sad to hear, but thanks for putting so much time in it. This is IMO the best bit of the forum.

User Info Menu

Thank You Howie.

I support Christianm77 as a successor, knowledgable, articulate and a fine musician.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your time and effort, Howie. I've learned a lot.

User Info Menu

Thanks Howie, learning and recording a new tune on a regular basis for this thread did me a lot of good.

User Info Menu

Good Luck, and Thanks, Howie.

User Info Menu

Thank you, wiz.

Best of health to you.

User Info Menu

You have been a direct influence on untold numbers of aspiring guitarists with this thread. Thanks for your years of service, and may you enjoy many more years of life, love and music!

User Info Menu

I did not participate on this, but this is an incredible think around here.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your valuable contribution Howie. Although I only posted 2 or 3 times I did a lot more work without posting any clips.

As it happens I started a discussion about possibly setting up a monthly practical standard solo guitar thread which is now live so many thanks for the idea!

Keep on Strummin'

User Info Menu

I did enjoy checking in on some of the various solos that were posted. It was fun hearing some of the forum members "strut their stuff." And, it was very interesting and entertaining hearing the different styles. Some were more traditional in their approach, while others were more on the eclectic side.

It sure was nice hearing everyone express themselves.
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 10-26-2016 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Thank you very much for your contribution".
    Since I moved to Norway a year ago I had no band or session to play with and the Practical Standards threads
    kept me inspired, going and sharp.

Hans

User Info Menu

Thank you Howie and good luck for you and your family.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your time and energy. Though I didn't post, I did learn 5 or so new songs because of your threads.

User Info Menu

Same. Thanks Wizard. Have not posted not at that level to pull it together on the tunes but learnt a lot watching listening reading.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    “When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your hard work over the years. I've found your efforts extremely helpful in this fledgling period of my playing. I wish you all the best!

User Info Menu

Thanks Howie, although I haven´t been involved as much as I want, the practical standards thread was the main reason that brought me to this forum. If it's necessary, I humbly offer my BIAB to upload backing tracks for future threads.

Best wishes and thanks again
    Same lick, different day

User Info Menu

Best wishes sent your way!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

I've only participated a few times, but it stimulated me to try some new things that benefitted my playing. Thanks Howie!

User Info Menu

Hey Howie... everything about you and what you do is always great and you handled the thread and all who participated wonderfully. Thanks

That being said I would gladly take over until someone wants to. I'll get a little more into analysis and how to approach playing with respect to different references. And also just playing and figuring out what you played could be from etc...

Maybe post a few different versions, harmonically and stylistic... When I'm guest artist at different venues, I generally make players play a few different versions of all tunes. Teach how to approach tunes and create arrangements. And of course just try and get players involved. There could be a few levels of performance of tunes etc...

Thanks again Howie... and hope all goes well for you and family.
    Reg

User Info Menu

Hi reg:

Thank you for your offer take care of this thread. I am very happy to endorse / recommend you for the task of keeping this thread going. I know you have the education, ability, background and experience needed for this task. Talk to our forum moderator to help you get in to get in touch with owner of this forum. He is the person in charge of the decisions made concerning the threads for the forum. I will still be active in the forum and I will try to be here if I am needed. All of backing tracks already posted will remain available for all to use.

best wishes,
    wiz (Howie)
    Howie

User Info Menu

Hey Howie, thank you for all your wonderful hard work, as many have said, it's the best part of the forum.

+1 for Reg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Howie, thanks for all the hard work in keeping this thread going. I am very happy to read that Colleen is able to sing again! My best to both of you.

Paul