The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

The PS poll winner for August is "Georgia On My Mind". Below you will find a BIAB (Poll winner Ballad style) backing track consisting of an 8 bar intro, 3 choruses and a standard ending. Have fun working with this nice old ballad!

wiz (Howie)

backing track------>Box

Lead sheet-------->Box

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had some fun starting work on a fingerstyle arrangement in a "stuck in the 1930's" style. It needs a lot of clean up, so ignore if you're looking for polished work!

Last edited by KirkP; 08-01-2016 at 03:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Here is my submission for today. I only had time for one take today so there will be a few problems with it. I played this one totally by ear and tried to give it a bluesey sound. I hope it sounds OK. I goofed on the intro and a couple other places. Please feel free to comment, especially if you how I could change it to improve the sound. I hope I will have some time this weekend for another take or two.

wiz (Howie)

https://app.box.com/s/dly5guzck59bt1anl9djqe69zdtkurxw

User Info Menu

Just got a G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy semi-hollow last week, so here is my first attempt at the tune. I'm tuned down a half step.

Paul

User Info Menu

Here is a version I recorded a couple of years ago but I don't remember much about it except it was by ear and the backing track was BIAB 2014. I think it probably has too many notes.

wiz (Howie)

https://app.box.com/s/01qr4re2ju3c8p8uwe9m

User Info Menu

Here is mine take, with the provided backing track.

Hans

User Info Menu

Here is my versión. Backing track made in home. I can not download the backing track of Howie and Georgia is so far from my hometown (7197km) don´t know if the inspiration from this place is my mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chismes
    Here is my versión. Backing track made in home. I can not download the backing track of Howie and Georgia is so far from my hometown (7197km) don´t know if the inspiration from this place is my mind.
    Hoagy Carmichael was from Indiana and was working in New York when he wrote the tune, so he might have wondered the same thing. August 2016 - Georgia on my Mind

User Info Menu

Inspired by KirkP's post #2 and Joe Pass (Yes, in the same sentence), I tried to play Georgia just solo. Not so easy to play those melodies and basslines at ones.

Hans

User Info Menu

Martin Taylor did a nice solo version of Georgia.

User Info Menu

Here Martin appears to be playing in Eb, though the guitar seems to be slightly "out of tune" by a few cents or as I have noted on YT before some posters seem to post videos with the speed slightly off - which annoys the crap out of me. On a different video of Martin performing the same song, he plays in E. No big difference but just a question in my mind as I don't have the original CD. E or Eb? My personal preference is the key of F.

As an aside, lately whenever someone posts a link to Soundcloud, I cannot get it to come up. Is something I'm doing or did I miss something over there?

User Info Menu

The open strings definitely suggest he plays the guitar with positions in E, although the guitar might be tuned to Eb, I doubt it though. My guess is the recording makes it off or the guitar is just not properly tuned
    Last edited by yaclaus; 08-21-2016 at 03:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Martin Taylor did a nice solo version of Georgia.

I admire Martin Taylor's skills and talent but his arrangements sound too much elaborated to my ear.. they sound nice but too nice...

My favourite is this one.. he challenges himself

User Info Menu

Inspired by KirkP's post #2 and Joe Pass (Yes, in the same sentence), I tried to play Georgia just solo. Not so easy to play those melodies and basslines at ones.

Cool!

. but when you play the head it sounds a bit like a comping track... if you would let the melody go a bit separately from chords it would be brilliant...

Don't take as critical...

My idea all the guitarists are more or less subject to it due tio physical restrictment of teh instrument...

I noticed I had to overcome it conciously (and not sure I managed to do it) - I mean to think of melody so that it so would not me depend on or be interrupted by chords rythmic structure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    I admire Martin Taylor's skills and talent but his arrangements sound too much elaborated to my ear.. they sound nice but too nice...

My favourite is this one.. he challenges himself

Couldn't agree more with you. Some players sound more like guitars and not music. Even though it's really good guitar often

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Mster: Beautiful! Well worth the wait, nice bluesey sounds.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Super fine as usual. Finally, I've checked your site. Good stuff there.