The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 90

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    And this is what it might sound like if someone made a set of Naima windchimes...

That was lovely! Windchime-esque, indeed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzthebee
    That's really clever, Graham! Does the Fm "activity" address the b9 of the second chord in the B section?
    Not really, but you can sort of weave that note into your lines if you want it.

User Info Menu

so I've been away from computers a lot the last couple days, but here's a clip from this morning. I put everything together and played the full tune. I missed the last note of the ending, which was a drag, but here's basically what I've had going on this week

User Info Menu

This tune lends itself very well to solo interpretations, doesn't it?

User Info Menu

yea, it really does.

I've been having some fun with this tune

there's a lot of neat versions on this thread, cool ideas getting kicked around, too.

User Info Menu

Nate, cool agressive dissonances and open string stuff in thar take!

User Info Menu

thanks. That's all that crazy music theory at work. It does take some sort of analysis to play like that.

psychoanalysis mostly, but theoretical analysis come into it a little bit, too

User Info Menu

Lol.

I did another chorus quickly today. I'm officially in the "trying to play everything I hear and see and thereby playing way too much" stage with this tune...more work to do, but it's clicking...a little

Apparently, I'm also playing a game called "how many damn guitars can you play the same tune on?"

Anyway, my goal is to record myself every day with it...don't worry, I won't post them all, I promise, maybe just once a week now til the end of the month...what a great tune.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Lol.

I did another chorus quickly today. I'm officially in the "trying to play everything I hear and see and thereby playing way too much" stage with this tune...more work to do, but it's clicking...a little

Apparently, I'm also playing a game called "how many damn guitars can you play the same tune on?"

Anyway, my goal is to record myself every day with it...don't worry, I won't post them all, I promise, maybe just once a week now til the end of the month...what a great tune.
    Jeff, where are you recording this? I'm always curious about this location where you do these videos and the ambient sounds in the background. Sounds great as always.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks!

This is a little practice room at the studio where I teach. But truthfully, there are no quiet places in my life...there is always some ambient noise.

I'm mildly claustrophobic, so when I'm not teaching I don't close the door, so you hear bits of piano and violin lessons, parents gabbing, an occasional too loud tv, etc.

Funny story...in my quest for quiet, I took a day off work last year...went downtown and got a room at a nice high rise hotel. Now the plan was to meet my wife after she got off work (she works in downtown Chicago) get a good dinner, have that extra glass or three of wine, and cab it back to the hotel and have a night with no kids.

I decided to up the ante and check in early and just sit in quiet, and look out the window of our 30-something floor room at the lake and just enjoy the chill.

Of course, that would be the day about ten floors below me, a window washer slipped and was clinging to his life...hadda be every cop, paramedic, and fireman in a mile radius below me, sirens blaring.

So instead, I rented Role Models on the TV and cracked open the mini bar. Should have brought a guitar.

Window guy was fine, climbed up back on his rig under his own power. Didn't even get to see the big inflatable trampoline thing.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 04-09-2016 at 06:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I really dug that B section, Jeff. The way you built tension to the top of the next section was great stuff

beautiful lines all through it, too

User Info Menu

This was a good listen...I liked it from the start, but I especially like when about halfway through you can tell you've gotten pretty comfortable with note choice and you start to play more with phrasing, repeating notes, etc. You can hear you stop thinking about what to say and start finding cooler ways to say it.

I'm happy people are taking multiple passes at this one. I can tell you already that spending this much time with a tune is doing nothing but good for my playing. Shining a real light on how lazy and complacent I'd been getting.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That was outstanding...loved the change in feel for the solo, and that last little bensonesque line was soooo badass. Nice call on the chorused electric piano too...coulda been cheese all, but wasn't. But I'm a sucker for electric piano.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Finally one take that sounds like the real thing, with due respect to the rest of participants. Good these threads are not the contest, since M-ster would always win.

We can all learn from him what makes a good take, given of course one has Brain - Ear - Chops combo developed enough to be able to conceive it and do it.
    That is clear idea and concrete execution, without forced and unforced ambiguities. Whiz - Bang, each note rings against bass, you can hear harmony just as it is, perfect timing, ...

Great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Finally one take that sounds like the real thing, with due respect to the rest of participants. Good these threads are not the contest, since M-ster would always win.

We can all learn from him what makes a good take, given of course one has Brain - Ear - Chops combo developed enough to be able to conceive it and do it.
    That is clear idea and concrete execution, without forced and unforced ambiguities. Whiz - Bang, each note rings against bass, you can hear harmony just as it is, perfect timing, ...

Great!
    Well I had started to think about recording this tune at the weekend, but now I am scared to follow in M-ster's almighty footsteps! (I have not heard his take yet, I will listen with trepidation tonight!)

User Info Menu

I liked M-sters clip, but I feel like a hater compared to Vlad

you can't compare solo versions against a combo, really, either. Also, some of us, me included, never really played this tune until it became apparent that we weren't going to be getting "I'll Remember April"

One thing I noticed from M-ster's clip is that once you put a pulse under it, the fragility sort of goes away. Definitely when you walk the changes with the bass player, you can play over the changes like any modern tune.

I did like the melodic ideas, too, and yes, I will be ripping off some of those ideas when I play this one with people

not to change the subject, but I had an interesting conversation on the phone last night with my bass player about this tune. We're getting together Thursday, and so while we were talking about "what do you want to play" I said, "Naima" right off the top of the list

there was a short pause on the other end of the line and then Larry says "that's kind of a strange call, what's up, you got a horn player coming over?" ...then we talked for about 20 minutes about this ideas for this one.

So I'll bring the field recorder and record the first time I ever call this tune Thursday night. Not first time I ever played it in a combo, but first time I'm calling the tune and leading the mayhem. Should be fun. A nice duet with an upright and my 175 strung with those new Jazz Tapes, so I'll have to play it nice and pretty

User Info Menu

Looking forward to it.

I think I'm going to try a take with a track...focus on melody and forget about cute little ways to keep the solo arrangement going for a while...then I can go back to it...still got 3 weeks to get it down perfect. (ha ha ha)

User Info Menu

see, that's where I am with it this week. Now that I know I'm playing this tune in 3 days with an upright bass, I have to change gears and play this one pretty

and some other differences are I won't have my "Naima tuned" guitar on this one and I'll be in the original key, no funny tuning

so its a completely different approach to everything

User Info Menu

Yeah, I hear ya.

Generally, I play solo more sparsely than most people...I like space, I'm not into filling it all in...comes from listening to too much Frisell and Abercrombie, I guess, but that's the way I like it...I imagine a rhythm section in my head...but I'm still playing more self-accompanyment than I would in even just a duo.

User Info Menu

I didn't notice this upstream, so here...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Swinging

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    I really like this one
    Ha! I agree. Latin and in 7, nice treatment, fuzz!

User Info Menu

Very much a sketch/work in progress

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Very much a sketch/work in progress

Aww, man, do another, you were just getting going at the end!

Great start, can't wait to hear where you go with it.